1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby throwing up Lactogen

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by nandhinikn, Aug 11, 2013.

1. nandhinikn

nandhinikn New IL'ite

Hi ILs,

I am exclusively BF my 2 month old son. According to pediatrician's advice baby is to be BF till 6months. Will only BF be enough till 6 months. i started solids for my first son at 4 months.

He was given formula in hospital during first 2 days, later was given breast milk...the nurses told me it was lactogen, but hospital report says nan...anyways when back home i gave him formula once during 2nd week..which he had lot of gas after.....then around 1-1/2 months when given once more he threw up. I am not sure if he is allergic to Lactogen..or i am mixing formula too thick..(i am mixing according to packet instructions). Should i try Nan? I am worried that if i wait too long to introduce formula, he might not take it in future...and also i need something as a back up...

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@nandhini As long as your supply is good, BM alone is e ough for the first 6 months. I exclusively BFed my DD until she was 6 months old.

I dont understand why you have to introduce formula if BFing process is going well. At 6 months you will start solids and eventually his dependence on BM will come down. At one year you can shift to cows milk. If you still want to give formula, then you should try NAN. Lactogen is loaded with sugar.

3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

4. nandhinikn

nandhinikn New IL'ite

I want to have a backup just in case....Thanks for your suggestions...

5. nandhinikn

nandhinikn New IL'ite

Hi ILs,

I tried him again on Nan Pro 1 and the same happened..This time it was just a few mL and with that also he is not able to keep it. From what i have read here in the forum there were many cases like mine, but dont know how many of them overcame the issue. I am okay with BF him, but worried what to do after 6 months? What if he develops the same thing with all other feed too? With my first one i have been giving both formula and BM and he did not show this problem. Other than the throwing up and tiredness after that, he shows no other symptoms. He has to empty his stomach contents and after a long sleep he is okay. Is it milk allergy? Will he be able to take cows milk/other food? what is the process to introduce other foods other than BM? Experienced ILs please help.

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What exactly is happening after giving Nan/Lactogen? After how many minutes is he throwing up.

Unless you take an allergy test, we cannot confirm if it is milk allergy. If you are worried about lactose intolerance then simple occult blood test on your baby's stools would be enough.

What about BM after 6 months? Are you worried about what to mix for cereals. Expressed BM would do the trick.

7. nandhinikn

nandhinikn New IL'ite

After giving formula around 2-3 hours later he throws up everything and does not stop till all the formula or the breast milk given after that comes out. I am worried what to give him after 6 months..He does not take formula, what if he throws up everything other than BM is my main worry...He took formula for 2 days after my C-section..so dont know if it is allergy.

8. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

If your breast milk is enough for him then there is no need to worry about back up. When he completes 6 months you can start with kanji, then with idly, mashed rice with dhal, mashed vegetables etc etc.

By giving formula feeds during the first 2 days we are only harming the baby and with holding the benefits of feeding him colostrum. Even if it is a cesarean section mother can start Breast feeding the baby within an hour or two.

9. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

two things I can think of, 1) have him tested for allergy 2) change formula.

10. nandhinikn

nandhinikn New IL'ite

Hi ILs,

I was pretty much scared when my little one threw up formula...lot of scary thoughts got into my mind and hours of googling worsened the fears..I am sure many of moms would want to know what happened next like me, so thought would update this thread.

I talked in length with my pediatrician, who though did not rule out milk allergy, was not very much concerned abt it either. He said that cereal allergy is extremely rare and since i am having enough BM, we could start with cereals.

So my son is now 5 months 3 weeks and so he recommended starting ragi. it has been 1 week since i started ragi and my son is having no issues....he is on 1 tsp of ragi powder (when prepared it becomes around quarter cup of malt) on 10.30 am and BM the rest of the day. Since last 2 days he has not pooped, but is not uncomfortable either, so it is wait and watch..

Next week onwards it is 2 times a day ragi.

As of now waiting for a dirty diaper :)