Baby shower ideas

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by vksanju123, Jun 21, 2006.

1. vksanju123

vksanju123 New IL'ite

:wave Hi All,

I am planning to organize a surprise baby shower for my friend. So please give me ideas on how to do this function in a grand manner.

Thanks
    VK

2. ridhi23

ridhi23 New IL'ite

hey wat a coincidence!

One of my collegues is pregnant and today we were planning for a surprize baby shower for her too! Guess its baby season now! I think u can select a theme for the baby shower like "fairytale" or "aliens" etc and base the party on that theme. I ll keep u posted on this one!
    Regards
    Ridhi

3. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Baby Shower

Hello friends...

I am 25 weeks pregnant and due in August 25th. One of my friend is planing to throw baby shower for me in July. I have attended baby shower only once in my life and that was in India and was very traditionally done. This is my first baby, I am not very familier with the customs so I have no idea how it works in america. My friend is from different culture so I am not sure what is she planing to do, we havn't discuss anything so far. Is it ok to ask her about the baby shower planing like guests, place, food, budget, custom etc. etc.? Other thing people usually register baby items in the stores here. Is it a good idea to register the baby items soon, so that by my baby shower people get enough time to book the item and that way I will also know what gifts I am getting and what things I should be buying for my baby. I don't want to do last minute shoping for my baby. Which will be very hectic at that point. Can someone please post the list for baby items needed.

Thank you.

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: Baby Shower

Hi Amicable,

A baby shower here is almost like a birthday party for the child before its birth. usually all the friends gather together, play some games ( like identifying baby food jar. pin the nappy on the baby etc...) . Have fun, eat some nice food and yes there will be cake.

Since you know that your friend is planning a shower for you, please do tell her if you have any diet restrictions. Also ask her if its okay to register in babies r us gift registry or provide a list of things you want . But please refrain from asking the budget to her. Its not considered polite. Since she is planning, you should just sit back and relax. Offer to help her with the party if she wants help.

Look through the I'm Pregnant forum, there are a few threads with lists of what to get for the new born.

Hope this helps
    Vandhana

5. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Re: Baby Shower

Hi,
    Baby Showers are fun. Usually it is with girls only but I have attended quite a few coed ones as well. Shower is usually when friends and families make the new mom feel special and also gift her with baby items. You can register for baby stuff but people can also get you items not from the registry as well. Etiquite says that unless asked by friends you do not have to volunteer the fact that you are already registered. These days it is a given that moms-to-be are registered some where. There will be cake, some snacks and lots of silly fun games related to baby. Usually the mom opens all of her gifts in front of everyone. If you do not want to open gifts in front of everyone you can request that to the hostess. The mom to be also gives "Thank you" gifts to the ladies who hosted the baby shower and also makes a point to send "Thank You" cards to those that gave a gift. When opening gifts usually one of the ladies makes a list of the gift and who gave them. Please make sure you have postal address of all the people that attend the party. The Baby shower is an informal and fun event so enjoy it :) Hope the tips helped.
    BTW Select gifts between $10 - $150 . That gives a range of prices for people to get you gift. Do not be shy of placing 1 or 2 expensive items since some time friends combine money to get a gift. Babies R Us is the best place to make a registry. Target makes a fuss to return items if you do not have a gift receipt.

6. Riya_08

Riya_08 New IL'ite

baby shower - valagappu

hi i'm wondering if anyone can help me, my EDD is 28th dec......and would like to find out when does my 9th month start to have my valagappu. my last period was on 21st march and i'm 31 weeks pregnant.

Not sure from which date i'm suppose to calculate how many months i'm for my valagappu( from my EDD or last period date or from how many weeks). They say that i shouldn't have it in my eigth month. can someone please help me, being my first baby, i don't know much.....

thanks.

7. nehajagadeesh

nehajagadeesh Senior IL'ite

Re: baby shower - valagappu

dear riya,

you can find a blog in google search "pregnancy date calculator", you

should have to enter the date of your last menstural period. you will get

all the information trimester wise and also your exat estimated due date. i

hope this information helps you.

bye :thumbsup

8. sima

sima New IL'ite

Your 8th month is from 32 - 35 weeks. Your 9th month starts from 36th week. I'm also planning to have my function only in the 9th month.

9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Riya,
    I'm assuming you are Tamil. If so in our part of TN atleast the pregnancy months are calculated according to the Tamil (lunar) calender. Since your EDD falls in Margazhi, the month of Karthigai (Nov 16 - Dec 15) is your 9th month. Valakappu is usually done in either the 7th or 9th month. Hope that helps.

Vanathi.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  10. neerajav

neerajav Guest

as m entioned by adharsmom tamilians calculate based on lunar calender. also if you plan to do valaikappu and seemandham in the same day it has to be done in the 6th or 8th month. valaikappu has to be done before seemandham.

I am also due on dec 28th. i had my valaikaapu ans seemandham in sep(6th month)