1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

baby carrying sling in India

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by kalaprabha, Mar 3, 2012.

1. kalaprabha

kalaprabha Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies
    I will be travelling to india for vacation with our 28month old and a 7 month baby,i felt carrying a baby in a sling will be helpful.i need a suggestion from moms in india or moms from US who bought sling from india.what kind of slings are available there?We have an infantino carrier but that's not very comfortable.iam looking for somethig like Babybjourn but the price starts from $65.Do we get sturdy ones in india?

Amazon.com: BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Original - Green, Spirit: Baby

Thanks
    Kala

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

I don't know about in India, but are you still in the US?

Baby bjorn and infantino are what are known as crotch danglers and are not good for baby's hips.

Ergo, Beco, and Boba have similar features. These are soft-structured carriers with straps to pull or loosen for maximum comfort. Baby is in sitting position, which is considered the best. But they may be expensive. There are many different styles within each brand that you can look for. I have a beco butterfly 2 which I love for its ease of transferring from front to back carry and also for transfer to another adult, because of an extra Y-panel that holds the baby within a pouch. Disadvantage - nursing with baby in sling is difficult. People have done it. I couldn't. I liked Gemini and Ergo too, but settled on Beco BB2 because of my tendonitis. It made wearing the baby easier.

They may be expensive but if you consider that you can use it for a long time and they also usually have a good re-sale value if you use them well, it isn't that much.

Mei tai -

Cheaper, made with fabric only, no straps, but the way it is worn is similar to the above carriers. Just no straps and clips, but tying of fabric. Expense - cheaper than the carriers named above.

Wrap or sling -

Stretchy sturdy fabric that has a bit of a learning curve but I've read about mothers swearing by it. That they are comfortable and cheap. I tried to try it, but again, because of my tendonitis, I couldn't. Expense - low.

Ring sling -

The learning curve must be easier to wear than a wrap, but I am not sure of the comfort. But should be very cheap. About 25 dollars or so.

Many people sell their used carriers. That's one avenue to explore. Perhaps on ebay?

HTH!