1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

BABY CARE | Get your BABY to SLEEP: 5 Easy ways!

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Nalins, May 21, 2010.

1. Nalins

Nalins New IL'ite

BABY CARE | Get your BABY to SLEEP: 5 Easy ways!
    Gt your BABY to SLEEP: 5 Easy ways!
    CARE for your BABY with tender love!

Steps:

1) Lay baby in bed while awake
    Babies goes to sleep by themselves, when laid in bed, if not hungry! This can be done both at night and each time your baby takes a nap at daytime. During first weeks your baby will perhaps fall asleep at your breast each time he nurses (or with the bottle). As soon as he is a little bit older, around two months or so, you can feed him while he is still not too tired and then put the sleepy baby to bed half an hour later.
    2) Swing your baby's bed
    Usually, most parents swing their babies. You could use /buy cradles like a rocking crib such as the ‘DaVinci Alpha Mini Rocking Crib’ or a comparable one or use your stroller..Last but not the least, is to put your baby in his crib on a flat pillow, not only his head, but also a large part of his back. As soon as he is awaken, lightly sway his upper body by slightly lifting the pillow up and rock it tenderly. It is certainly not perfect that the baby need to be swung to go back to sleep, but as a means to lengthen the time between his nursing moments, it is a great method.
    3) Use a sleep bag
    Those Babies who are either too warm or too cold tend wake up more easily. Several kind of baby sleep bags are of great help, as they keep the baby warm. Plus, there is no risk that the baby might either kicks off the blanket or will pull it over his face. Few recommendations could be Grobag or a similar toddler sleeping bag. This particular baby sleep bag is pretty pricey but is really good.
    4) Make your Baby eat a lot in the evening
    This may perhaps also assist a hungry baby sleep better. Feed your baby until he doesn't crave more. You can do it every second hour or even more repeatedly in the evening.
    5) Put a light cotton cloth over your baby’s eyes
    It has been noticed that most babies fall asleep instantly when their face is covered by a very thin cotton cloth. it assists them in shutting out disturbing visual impressions. However, always be cautious, not to leave the cloth with the baby out of your sight. There can be risks that the baby might be suffocated by it, also that it could impact his oxygen uptake, and increase the hazard of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).

Happy parenting :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010

2. vidhyarohini

vidhyarohini New IL'ite

Hello Nalins,
    My baby is 2 and half months old. He is sleeping most of the daytime and he is very fresh during night hours and then goes back to sleep early in the morning. Being awake for the whole night and spending time with him makes me tired the next day.Help me to put him in the correct sleep cycle.

Thanks

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Vidya,

I think your baby has day/night confusion.
    Google "Day night confusion". you will get lot of tips.
    here's one site
    Night And Day Reversal

Hope this helps

1 person likes this.
  4. shrukri

shrukri New IL'ite

Hello Vidhya I think it's common for a 21/2 month old to do so. They will change and get back to routine. My LO is 3 months and she was like that until 2 mo. She used to sleep only by 3.00 am. I understand it's very tiring, but try to get the chores done and take plenty of rest when the baby sleeps.

5. Nalins

Nalins New IL'ite

Hello vidhyarohini :)

Yes, all the replies are very true. Some babies do have day & night confusion. Going thro this article might help you...

Waking for Night Feedings

Many pediatricians recommend that parents shouldn't let a newborn sleep longer than three or four hours without feeding, and the vast majority of babies wake far more frequently than that. (There are a few exceptional babies who can go longer.) No matter what, your baby will wake up during the night. The key is to learn when you should pick her up for a night feeding and when you can let her go back to sleep on her own.

This is a time when you need to focus your instincts and intuition. This is when you should try very hard to learn how to read your baby's signals. Here's a tip that is critically important for you to know. Babies make many sleeping sounds, from grunts to whimpers to outright cries, and these noises don't always signal awakening. These are what I call sleeping noises, and your baby is nearly or even totally asleep during these episodes. I remember when my first baby, Angela, was a newborn. Her cry awakened me many times, yet she was asleep in my arms before I even made it from cradle to rocking chair. She was making sleeping noises. In my desire to respond to my baby's every cry, I actually taught her to wake up more often!

You need to listen and watch your baby carefully. Learn to differentiate between these sleeping sounds and awake and hungry sounds. If she is awake and hungry, you'll want to feed her as quickly as possible. If you respond immediately when she is hungry, she will most likely go back to sleep quickly. But, if you let her cry escalate, she will wake herself up totally, and it will be harder and take longer for her to go back to sleep. Not to mention that you will then be wide awake, too!

Help Your Baby Distinguish Day from Night
    A newborn baby sleeps about sixteen to eighteen hours per day, and this sleep is distributed evenly over six to seven brief sleep periods. You can help your baby distinguish between nighttime sleep and daytime sleep, and thus help him sleep longer periods at night.
    Begin by having your baby take his daytime naps in a lit room where he can hear the noises of the day, perhaps a bassinet or cradle located in the main area of your home. Make nighttime sleep dark and quiet. You can also help your baby differentiate day naps from night sleep by using a nightly bath and a change into sleeping pajamas to signal the difference between the two.

Hope this helps you!
    Happy parenting :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Nalins

Nalins New IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  7. poornimaln

poornimaln New IL'ite

hi nalins,
    Those were pretty good ideas, but lemme tell you about my kid. She's a hurricane mixed with curiosity. When I tried to put her to sleep by putting her on the bed, all she does is play in it coz our bedroom is cozy. I almost fell asleep trying to make her sleep. Then I woke up startled and started to laugh thinking about myself. :))) Still having fun time trying to regularise her sleep.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010