1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ayurvedic Homemade shampoos..need your suggestions

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by an123, Apr 16, 2012.

1. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

As part of my homemade haircare plan, I plan to make my own homemade shampoo , especially since I am not sure whether any of the Indian ayurvedic shampoos are sls and paraben free ( please see my post on Ayurvedic shampoos in India). I have 2 recipes and would like to hear the experience of fellow Indus ladies who have used similar products and what their feedback is.

Home made shampoos:

1. Shikakai + Reetha home made shampoo. Either soak the nuts and boil in water the next day before using it. For the powder version to add warm water to the powder and make a thick paste. Use it after 15 mins.

2. Urud dal home made shampoo. Soak urud dal overnight and cook next day morning. Make paste and use on hair.

Note :
    1. In both recipes, I would be adding a paste of fenugreek, amla and hibiscus powder. I don't plan to use any other ingredients as I have all other key ingredients added in the homemade oils and hair masks that I use. Adding it to the home made shampoo is a waste as it is only going to stay on for a few minutes on the hair. So I plan to add only the ingredients which help in lathering, dandruff and to keep hair conditioned and shiny.

2. Use on pre oiled hair. Do not wet hair but add additional water so that the paste covers all the hair and takes off the oil fully.

3. My personal preference is for the urud dal shampoo as it contains protein as well and more easily available at home.

4. I usually condition my hair after it is dry with a few drops of (almond + olive +castor oil)

My Queries:

1. I would like to know those who have either used the shikakai+reetha combination or urud dal, whether the oil on the hair can be easily removed as both shampoos don't lather so well. If not how can I increase the lathering or remove the oil from the hair?
    2. Does Shikakai + Reetha or urud dal have better nutrients for the hair other than washing properties?
    3. What do I need to take note while making the shampoo?
    4. Is there anything I need to take note if I use these shampoos often and remove all commercial shampoos from my cabinet?

Please do let me know your feedback...

Thanks
    An123

2. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi my friend
    Have no bad/good experience with chemical shampoos....myself being a long term user of shikakai,had given the making with measurements here:
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h...es/54653-my-secrets-growing-loooong-hair.html

Used to apply oil an hr before taking head bath,and this home-made shampoo completely removes the oil without making the hair dry/brittle.

I bet that this home made shampoo have all the healthy nutrients for hair growth and maintenance.

Now I'm 43,Owner of silky,bouncy hair.and still have very few grey hairs, may be upto 10:)..this treasure of nature have postponed the use of hair-dye.

whatelse do you expect????
    So
    Please go on and be a proud celebrity of healthy hair.:thumbsup

Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  3. rekhanew

rekhanew Silver IL'ite

Hello everybody.....

I am reviving this old thread as i am facing hair fall and did try soaking shikakai and reetha and cleaned my hair with the water after boiling it.
    But it did not remove all the oil in my hair :( :( .... What is that i am missing???
    Can anyone help ??

Thanks..

4. rekhanew

rekhanew Silver IL'ite

Hey Everybody!!!!
    I am reviving this thread as i am having heavy hairfall and im trying to solve it by all means.

I tried recipe 1, soaking reetha and shikakai overnight and washing the boiled water out of it. But it did not remove the oil in my hair.

Am i doing something wrong? please help...

Thanks

5. radhikashinde91

radhikashinde91 Senior IL'ite

you can use mixer of shikakai, lemon juice and herbal mehandi.