1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

aware of ur first period?

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by Huma, Apr 18, 2007.

1. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

In Dubai, I use ALWAYS - ULTRA WITH WINGS...

In India, I use WISPER ULTRA WITH WINGS...

I find both are as good as the other... I was very disappointed with Stayfree during my post delivery use in M'lore

2. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hi
    I got my first period in summer holidays after 8 th std. I kind of new about it because two of my freinds already had theirs. but they told me if you see blood in your dress you shold not tell to your mom thats not good..so i went and told my aunt(pinni) on that day it was Vinayaka chavathi and she is very religius doing pooja so as soon as i told her she didn't even talk with me properly she said go sit in the terrace I will come few minutes.. then she came
    and saw she brought my mom and they made me to sit in one room for 7 days
    also did a big function calling the relatives...but I was very sad on that day because of the fesival i wore new pottu pavada and blouse that my mom gave it chakali(dhobi wala)...

3. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

dEAR FRIENDS
    Igot my first periods when was 11years old.I was shellshocked the whole evening .Did not know what it was and i kept wishing the stain would go away. The next day morning it was still there.Thenthinking that I was really not well I told my mother.she and my elder sister who is 2 years older to me helped me out.I remember i cried for couple of hours that day.I really hated to have the pads on.we did not have any function .it was a very quiet affair and i was happy it was that way.I have attended a function of my friend's which lasted for 10 days and each day they had a thematic drama in which my friend got the lead role. they had invited so many people for all the 10 days and my friend was really proud. But thank god we do have such customs at home and my father always used to say it is natural like any other dirt which is being flushed out from our body.So a girl should be treated normally.I have 2 elder sisters and no of us even knew when the other had,it was vey very quiet.

I have a daughter .When she had her periods she was treated the way I was.even my mother in law said the same thing.We live in flats where is the place to keep the girls seperately and this age if we do that they would feel embrassed. the only thing is that we neednot allow them near the pooja room.Treat them normally.Give the good nourishing food and give them regular yoga classes, it would give them stamina in the long run.Ido not think there is necessity to teach the girls .they know a lot.You can guide them along.
    yours kanaka raghavan

4. priavindh

priavindh Senior IL'ite

Ha ha Nice and different replies! Fuuny mostly!
    I had my first periods in my 13th yr! My mom used to tell me abt the bleeding! So she told me if i noticed anything in my panties! One fine day..I saw it and did not tell her..as i thought that my urine will be in red colour! :rotfl
    but i found it coming again and agian..so stuffed some newspapers and went to school..! evening i was not able to bear the stomach ache and told mummy abt the stain and all..that's the end..
    i was made to sit an a corner with neem leaves and saree..! So this is how it happened!
    Regards

5. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

a function for your period.. :bowdown thank god, I'm from Kerala, and we have nothing! My mom told me everything about it, she prepared me, so when I did get it, I told my mom and she came and helped me out with it. My mom discussed a lot of things with me and I think it really helped even though I used squirm, I became more aware.

6. ranjoose

ranjoose Bronze IL'ite

HI everyone,
    I got mine when i was 11. My mom had prepared me by telling me that soon one day , I might bleed down there and if that happens, I should not get scared and tell her. She said that is a sign that im turning into a woman :) So i was really waiting to be a woman.
    Once i got it, I was so happy and told my mom. She gave me lessons on how to wear a napkin!!! And got me new clothes :)

7. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    I was 11years when I got my periods, but my mom had said me about menstruation and had said me not be afraid if i find blood flow.One fine day morning (14th of April) I went to take bath to visit temple and then I came to know about this, then I went and said my mom and she taught me all other things like napkin etc.Like Ranjoose I was also happy at first but when I started to get PMS and stomach cramps I was cursing it:rant Pavi some people in Kerala do have functions for this , when one of my friends got it for first time god!! you should have seen her the next day ,completely drenched in turmeric:drowning But when I heard you are fed with tonnes of sweets I secretelt scolded my mom for not arranging one at my time:biglaugh

And I was the first one to get it in my friend circle and for about a year untill all became 'women' I kept it as my little secret:)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  8. HappyGal

HappyGal Senior IL'ite

I got mine at 13 & luckily my Mom had given a thorough briefing about the whole process a year back, so I was not scared & told my Mom immediately & she helped me out. I am really happy that though my family is very traditional they dealt with this whole issue without causing any embarrassment to me. Think I will take the same approach with my daughter.

HG

9. surag

surag New IL'ite

hi! nobody would have had an embarrassing first period than me...i was 12 or 13 when i got it. my amma had told me about it and explained how to use a pad and all other stuff one goes through . so i was not scared of getting it.

one morning when i went to take a bath i realized i started my period. so i called for my grandma and she made me walk around the outside of the house into the bedroom(in the front of the house ) and shut the door and didnt let me out. why embarrassing??? this happened in some relatives house where there was a big homa and all friends and family where there. o! i missed my amma so much and called her and cried to her. the lady of the house was very sweet she gave me a pad and told me not to feel bad. thank god i came down with high fever at the same time. so most of the relatives taught i was down with fever.when ever i think of it i feel like :drowning:drowning:drowning myself.

10. Raisa

Raisa New IL'ite

Well.. I remember it quite vividly. I had it when I was 13.
    Two days before my period, I felt a strong pain below my navel. I thought it was probably indigestion, so I kept it hidden from my mom because I feared that she may not let me eat from outside. Then two days later just before dinnertime I noticed it. I was horrified!:hide: I thought maybe I'll die due to a fatal disease. Then shortly came the call for dinner and I excused myself saying that I had fever. Next morning when it was time to go to school, I again excused myself saying that I was ill. Then after dad left for office mom came to me with a thermometer. Realising that I had no fever, she demanded of me what I was hiding. Finally I replied. She was momentarily speechless but then she broke into a smile saying that I became a woman. For next three years she explained what was all about womanhood.