1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

'Attending' Problems

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

2. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear shobamma,
    There have been quite a number of social conscious people who would like to open retirement homes for senior citizens but there are many Unnecessary hurdles, useless restrictions, rules and regulations put up by the Government which prevents even the most ambitious group of people from proceeding further.

I have personally visited many of the senior citizens home, which lack even basic necessities like a stretcher or a wheel chair or even a nurse. Many old people are made to live in the second floor or 3rd floor, with no lift, owing to space crunch. Your suggestions are pretty good, but the mind set of most of the people who are unable to afford even one square meal, is to work easy and earn more money. Many of the young attenders when asked to improve their skills and knowledge, reading newspapers, improve their English speaking skills or joining vocational classes , they simply refused and were more interested n chatting long hours on their mobiles. So how could one make people have a professional outliook when it comes to work and not treat it as a picnic party?Thanks for your wonderful feedback, shobamma.

4. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Agatha83,

Behind all that light hearted and interesting write up, I see a loving, caring, concerned daughter having a hands full of difficult but delicate situation, still capable of a smile in most difficult situations. A role model for your generation. Cheers.

Heart full of appreciation for you, and your skill as a writer.

Agatha83 and vaidehi71 like this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Agatha83,
    I commend you for managing to look after your mother at your home, inspite of all the "Attending " problems. I am personally in a situation where i am not able to keep my mother aged 84, with me in bangalore. Apart from physical disability due to a serious fracture in her right hand due to a road accident, she has psychiatric issues also to some extent. After attending and being with her with the help of my brother for a month or so, we have left her in a palliative and pain relief centre in Chennai. I am naturally ridden by guilt at times, but in the long run , feel she is safer hands at the home, as there are nurses, attendents available through out the day and night. My brother visits her every weekend and i talk to her over the phone frequently and visit her/bring her over to visit us for occasions. There is definitely no easy solution in care of aged person in these times, and we can only do the best in our given situations.
    Jayasala maam,
    please do take care in the kitchen, especially if you are alone. My mother was managing doing all the cooking /housework by herself until 6 months ago in her home in chennai. It was a constant worry as my unmarried brother would be out of the house almost the whole day and she would be alone. Every talk over the phone i would tell her not to leave the Apt. to go to shop outside- as a main road would have to be crossed. And, things happened exactly as i had feared. She crossed the road and was mowed down by a passing biker with serious injuries. By gods grace she recovered and her hand has also healed to some extent. But the amount of suffering at this age is something which i feel so helpless about.
    By sharing our concerns, there is some comfort for which i am thankful to IL.

6. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear Agatha83,
    I commend you for managing to look after your mother at your home, inspite of all the "Attending " problems. I am personally in a situation where i am not able to keep my mother aged 84, with me in bangalore. Apart from physical disability due to a serious fracture in her right hand due to a road accident, she has psychiatric issues also to some extent. After attending and being with her with the help of my brother for a month or so, we have left her in a palliative and pain relief centre in Chennai. I am naturally ridden by guilt at times, but in the long run , feel she is safer hands at the home, as there are nurses, attendents available through out the day and night. My brother visits her every weekend and i talk to her over the phone frequently and visit her/bring her over to visit us for occasions. There is definitely no easy solution in care of aged person in these times, and we can only do the best in our given situations.
    Jayasala maam,
    please do take care in the kitchen, especially if you are alone. My mother was managing doing all the cooking /housework by herself until 6 months ago in her home in chennai. It was a constant worry as my unmarried brother would be out of the house almost the whole day and she would be alone. Every talk over the phone i would tell her not to leave the Apt. to go to shop outside- as a main road would have to be crossed. And, things happened exactly as i had feared. She crossed the road and was mowed down by a passing biker with serious injuries. By gods grace she recovered and her hand has also healed to some extent. But the amount of suffering at this age is something which i feel so helpless about.
    By sharing our concerns, there is some comfort for which i am thankful to IL.

Agatha83 likes this.
  7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear suryakala,
    Thanks for your loving compliments. I feel much relieved and light hearted after pouring out my woes in this forum and getting a warm feedback in return. Hats off to this supportive IL community.

Agatha83

suryakala likes this.
  9. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear joylokhi,

Thank you for the deep concern you have shown on me through this post. Inspite of all my mom's physical needs been looked after, what she looks upon fondly is the emotional connect. When we are dog tired through out the day, she loves to talk non stop about the past, relatives who never think about her leave alone visit her,and about her office friends none of them whom I personally know. With her daily demands of sweets, cakes ,ice creams, her being a sugar patient, many times I am at my wits end trying to convince her. Doctors advice me to give her whatever she wishes, but in the end it is a run to the hospital if her sugar level shoots up. So it is a daily drama in my house!

Agatha83

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    shobhamma and joylokhi like this.