Attended an interview where I expressed only my weakness :(

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by cutebarbie, Aug 1, 2013.

1. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    Sorry for such a long post.. but plz do read and help me with your suggestion..:bowdown
    Day before yesterday I went for an interview.. I am having a career gap of 15 months.. Since I lost the hands on experience.. I was thinking too much for answering the questions.. But somehow I recollected and answered.. And for few qns..I directly said i 'i do not know the answer'.. For some questions, I was able to give the answer, but i forgot the exact terminology or words or status.. So for that kind of qns.. when i was struggling to answer, the interviewer came with the exact terminology..and after hearing that, I told like "shh...ohhh..yeah yeah that's the correct one... ".. I was repeating this for some of the qns.. Overall i was able to answer some qns.. but i was not confident and it was obvious to the interviewer bcoz of my behavior.. Finally after the interview, he said i am not the right candidate for the position since i am not strong in the basics.. :(
    Initially i felt bad..but after sometime i was feeling better.. Actually my problem is that, I am always vexed or tensed.. I have good academic records.. has been a topper in school and college.. But myself I am a introvert, i had not participated in any competitions in school or college.. My family encouraged me to study well but not in participating any extra curricular activities..After my 10th i selected maths biology stream.. as i was not interested in computer science.. passed 12th and took electronics stream in college.. There i had some computer programming language papers like C, C++ etc.. And i used to mug up even the simple 4 line programs..!! Somehow i cleared those papers.. completed engg and got placed in a big mnc.. was wrking there for 2.5 yrs.. I understood the wrk flow and performed well in testing field.. then resigned job after wedding.
    My main problem is, when people see me, they underestimate me because of my soft and innocent looks, My voice is also very soft,,slow and low..people find difficult to listen my words.. then i am always vexed and tensed about sumthing or the other.. I am not very good at communication skills.. Since i am an intovert person, i don't mingle with others easily, and hence i have very less friends.. When talking to some neighbours or colleagues or friends.. i do not know what to talk.. :( There are so many people who keep on talk..and they talk well.. But myself I am not getting the words at all... I do not know how to change myself.. I am a soft spoken person, but sometimes if i find something very annoying, then i get angry and fight back..
    There are so many of my friends who are not very good at academics as well as the career knowledge.. But they are extrovert, they talk well with others, managers,etc.. they maintain themselves good (looks), and they get promotion or onsite opportunities very soon.. I am not jealous of them.. but I too love to become like them.. I am a hard working person and I want to be successful one..
    I kindly request you all to help me with your suggestions..
    You may find this post to be boring one.. but your suggestions can change me into a bold and confident person..
    Plz spare your time and help me with your replies..:bowdown

2. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

your post itself says u are so tensed and u post also says ur negatives and u have identified it.U need to calm down and be mentally prepared. Yes talking boldly in a interview is important and communication has to be improved and can be improved only by talking boldly at the same time gently and clearly conveying the message. Before going to the interview you should have revised the basics. that's the first rule of any interview to be attended.

Also academics speaks only a 50% in technical interview and balance comes from your communication and speaking skills.

Start meditating religiously for 15 mins daily. Choose any part of the day where there is less noise in your house and do it regularly and slowly u will come out of the fear day by day and u will feel lot better and confident in a span of one month.I can bet you on that.

All the best do keep your anxiety levels low and revise the basics

3. Telja

Telja Silver IL'ite

dont worry there is still many chances left and still many openings waiting for you so prepare before that and try attending as many interivews you can as it helps to get confidence so that next time you can present it well .. always find the mistakes and correct and come up with good answer..

1 person likes this.
  4. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

Dear cutebarbie,

First relax. Dont be tensed. you have already identified your drawbacks. 50% of your job is done. You have already come half way on right/winning path.

It does not matter what you are till now, it only matters how you want to be.

First remember, you are not a fresher you already have some experience before taking a break and from your post you seem to have done pretty well.

Dont let the feeling of career break take hold of you. I know it is little difficult and its like starting a fresh, but there is a difference. you already have experienced the other side of the fence.
    Imagine all your good times. Think about How you approached your earlier job(s), earlier interviews etc. Try to motivate your self with all good times you had.
    Identify the gaps. May be you lack confidence due to your career gap. Try to build confidence.Try to work on your skills to add more confidence. Set yourself a goal. Do not think much about the outcome.
    Think that you have gone for a discussion/meeting rather than an interview.
    Try to keep your cool. You dont have to be loud but be confident and audible whatever you answer(irrespective of whether it is right or wrong). Let the confidence reflect in your voice and personality. Keep a smile on your face always and look pleasant. Do not show any signs of tension(I know it is difficult but just take a deep breath) just remember that you cannot change anything at interview time. whatever you could, you did during your preparation. you cant get more time for preparation. you have to face the interview with whatever skills/knowledge you have. So try to do your best with whatever knowledge you have. Getting a call itself is achievement because many people end up without getting shortlisted for interviews.
    Approach with a positive mind and you will soon land in a job of your choice and you will enjoy your job.

1 person likes this.
  5. hotchillipepper

hotchillipepper Gold IL'ite

If change doesnt come naturally/easily to you then dont force yourself to become someone you are not! It doesnt work that way. Instead of focusing so much on your negative traits try to polish whatever you have positive in you. Not everyone who gets a job is extrovert or jovial. There had been many intelligent/hard working people in our teams who found it difficult to communicate because of one reason or another (language/phobias/stress etc.) but they were excellent employees and sometimes even pillars of projects. Try to focus on your strengths in interviews.

6. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

Barbie ,

Brush up your basics . Yes , u have to get the basics right for an interview .

Do not take the pressure of clearing an interview ; Treat it like a learning process ; More like a technical discussion .

Not clearing an interview doesnt mean u r not technically strong ;

I guess u r from testing background . Manual testing alone would not help . U need to know some automated testing tool .

1 person likes this.
  7. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Practice mock interviews at home and record them. Listen to your voice and keep improving the tones until you are satisfied. you can do the same when you are attending phone interviews from home.Speak in front of the mirror and check yourself.

Normally any person would be tensed for the first few minutes of the interview until they settle down. If you start answering the questions correctly, it would give you confidence and help you to ease. Maintain eye contact and smile a few times at the interviewer during the interview. Preparing yourself well is the key to success.

2 people like this.
  8. nitasen3

nitasen3 Silver IL'ite

Relax OP....Now that u have attended the interview Im sure you will fare well in the next one.....Initiate conversations with friends , neighbours and do some voluntary work if possible till the time you get a suitable job. Keep yourself uptodate with the latest news, technological innovations etc... Try to attend seminars , workshops and conferences. These will help you to remain updated and will also boost your confidence in cracking an interview. Above all have faith in yourself. Remember one who takes your interview dosnt neccesarily have to know more than you. You are right if you have to climb the corporate ladder you need to be an extrovert and make yourself approachable and charming. This will go a long way in making yourself successful in your professional as well as personal front. And yes don't forget the humorous side of yours....Remember the world is like a mirror, if you smile the world smiles back at you......Good Luck on your job search.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  9. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.. I will definitely follow these tips, and hope to succeed in a interview.. and also in my life.. thanks again

10. Culturalbridges

Culturalbridges New IL'ite

Hello friends. I work with several wonderful indian woman who are IT contractors, many who struggle with the same things you describe: communication, soft spoken, introverted, however they have successfully managed to overcome the "interview" challenges. I recommend that you prepare as others have mentioned by practicing but also preparing by having good examples of scenarios that can apply to specific questions such as about your weakness: "although I am soft spoken and a bit shy, I am a very good listener, problem solver and team player...then give an example! Play up the strengths, you seem to have many. Good luck Mary