1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

ASWATHAMA HATHA...kunjaraha!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shanvy, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

At a point when Drona, as the Kuru commander is killing vast numbers of Pandava troops, Krishna advises Yudhisthira to adopt a plan to kill Drona.. As it is known that as long as Drona has raised his weapons he is invincible to all other warriors. So they plan to make Drona fall into grief so that he will drop his weapons at least temporarily, and to achieve this It was devised that it would be a lie about Aswathama the son of Drona.

Yudishtra's adherence to dharma does not allow him to say this. Krishna justifies this lie to Yudhisthira as necessary to the victory of morality in the war. As Yudhisthira continues to hesitate, his brother Bhima kills a known elephant in the Kuru legions called Aswathama and celebrates shouting "Aswathama is dead! Aswathama is dead!".

Shocked when the news reaches him, Drona seeks out Yudhisthira to ascertain the news, knowing that the son of Dharma would never speak a lie. Yudhisthira tells him that Ashwathama is dead, but mutters "the elephant...." ( Aswathama Hatha.(Aswathama is dead).. Kunjaraha (elephant))in an inaudible voice to prevent telling a whole lie.
    Now convinced, Drona lays down his arms and sits in meditation. It is actually said in the epic that Drona's soul has already left his body through his mediation, but Dhristadyumna takes this opportunity, swings onto Drona's chariot, and chops off his head.

So my take on this episode....those of you who know mahabaratha....should be aware that Drona's son is chiranjeevi, the one who has no death, but even then Drona believed Yudhistra.It is because the circumstances looked convincing. the warfield, with many people killed and his belief on son of dharma, made him forget the very thing that his son had no death.

In today's world, seeing is also not believing. Be convinced of what is the truth, before you act. Circumstances and Environment can make you victim of lot of things. So try to isolate yourself from the situation and get a perspective. Though difficult will help you avoid lot of unwanted scenes and problems...

Though Yudhishtra had not technically spoken a lie, but his convincing drona was equal to an lie. That is why the chariot of yudhistra which use to always float in the air and never touch the ground falls to the ground after this lie.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Very eloquent blog! I am especially happy to read this since my husband always talks abt Dharmaputra's floating chariot and how it sank after this.

As for Ashwathama, what a life to lead as a Chiranjeevi? Cursed by Krishna, no friends, an open wound gaping on his forehead. In Trivandrum, near Kovalam there is a cave temple called Ashwathama Guha. It is believed that Ashwathama lives there and offers pooja to Lord krishna every night. Some visitors have claimed that they have seen flowers lying there and signs of a pooja in the cave.

Very meaningful blog! But you always do everything perfectly! Lucky us and lucky Veda!

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Can only expect the best from you Shanthi dearest..you have set the bar so high..In today's world seeing is also not believing..cannot agree more..I dont know if those were circumstances or fate..Atleast they went through it all in the visible presence of our Lord..we too go through all in life but with ONLY faith in us..we have to know that God is always there..The Bhagvad Gita is set in such a location that every word and line takes on its won meaning..Arjuna had to take up arms against people he loved and respected..Yudhishtra had to tell a lie against his principles..These are but wonders and "leela" of our God..I have to second our previous posters words "Lucky US and Lucky Veda very lucky Veda".. keep blogin..lovin..it..

4. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear AC / V24

Thanx.... Yes, I am lucky...

Dear Shan,

Here I just want to add that, it is the faith of Drona on Yudhistra led him to believe him... Yudhistra was known for following the Dharma and will not tell lies... Drona's impeccable faith on Yudhistra made him not to think about the virtues of Ashwathama...

Sometimes we believe in people and keep faith on them... We keep them in a pedastal... But if the people become selfish and lets us down, then we get succumbed to the situations which leads to the downfall...

So.. going back to your statement...

In today's world, seeing is also not believing. Be convinced of what is the truth, before you act. Circumstances and Environment can make you victim of lot of things. So try to isolate yourself from the situation and get a perspective. Though difficult will help you avoid lot of unwanted scenes and problems...

I would like to add:

Just dont get carried away by what the person whom you beleive says... Just analyse it before acting... Dont look at who is saying... Look at what is being said... Then analyse it with teh pros and cons... This will help you to look at things with more clarity...

There are few more interpretations on this specific thing... Will come back later, as I am running short of time... In the mean time let me see what others views....

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi v24,

Thanks for reading this blog. actually, at home, it is always discussions on these characters..with DS and veda both having indepth knowledge in the same...so analysing these characters is becoming a pasttime for us...

Yes, I agree what a life for aswathama, am intending to continue this blog to bring in the curse of aswathama.

thanks for sharing the info about the temple.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

AC Dear,

All these epics show us ways of life. all the stories have a moral and has new meanings to each person. the circumstances and the mental framework also plays a role.

I cannot agree more about all the characters were the puppets in the hand of God.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi veda,

thanks for more inputs. ofcourse you will have more interpretations...i am surprised you have not yet started...

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthi, very nice analysis of this particular incident in Mahabharata.
    It shows that even innocent people become scapegoats, as per the situation.
    The proverb or the saying which goes like--kannal kaanbadhum poi, kadhaal ketpadhum poi, theera visaarippadae mei----- is apt for this incident.

sriniketan

9. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Nice topic Shanti. Well written. I have read that because of this one lie Yudhisthira is taken to hell to see what is happening there. These are my favourite topics.

And what you said is very true in todays world Seeing is also not believing. We should not lose our self and judge the situation intellectually. Here also Drona was emotionally brokedown that is why he couldn't think that his son is a cheeranjeevi.

Vidhi

10. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanthi a nice topic. Drona had so much of faith and trust in Yudhisthira, that he believed him even before realising that his son is cheeranjeevi.
    It is so true in today's world we cannot trust what we see. mr. Veda has so well put up that until we clarify the things we should not jumb into conclusions.