1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Astray!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

He dreaded going to his room that late, but couldn't help it. At least 10 days in a month, he had to work in the second shift which was between 02.00 p.m. to 10.30 p.m. Being a bachelor, it didn't matter to him when he went back to his room and the second shift provided one more advantage to him too. He finished his dinner at a subsidized cost in the factory itself then. Inspite of this advantage, he hated that shift mainly because of one reason - a black stray dog.

He had to walk along an entire street from where he got off from the factory bus and that dog barked vigorously whenever he returned late. It was not found in the other times but. He tried to walk casually at times and sometimes faster too, but it always seemed to bark. And it was soon joined by other dogs in the surrounding. He gritted his teeth hard and crossed that street as quick as possible. His instincts told him not to run, as it might lead to the worse result. He wanted to strangle that dog at times too.

It was the second day of the month and he had drawn his salary from the ATM that morning. As he was walking as usual alone at that time, in the street, he was stopped suddenly by a man. To his horror, he saw a knife pressed against his throat and an order in a hoarse whisper - "Give your purse! Or else!". Suddenly, the whole scene changed as the same black dog barked loudly. The thief was in panic and started running. A pack of dogs ran behind the thief.

He felt relieved for the first time.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

It happens with all of us. If a neighbour asks personal questions of ten we feel irritated. We think he/she is nosy. But when the same person helps in an emergency...when sick or something like that we are grateful to him. So, it is all in perception. Both are natural feelings.

3. quantSundar

quantSundar Junior IL'ite

oh rgs , I can very much relate to this. I have to deal with stray dogs menace almost every single weekday. Unlike the subject , I usually wait till a car or a bike goes past me. I ride along with it and I use the car or the other rider as a shield. There were days when no vehicle would pass for a long time and I would just stay put till midnight. I couldn't summon the courage to be a solitary rider! When dogs are in a pack , there is a behavioral change .It would dare to do whatever it wouldn't when it is the lone canine. One dog feeds on the excitement of another. Dogs have this uncanny ability to detect fear. Running or brisk walking will trigger the predatory instinct . And dogs are fast .So best way to handle this to walk casually or drive the bike slowly as if you don't mind the presence of dogs. Easily said than done !

4. rgsrinivasan

I understand the perception view, Syamala. But when it comes to stray dogs on the road, we are scared naturally. At odd hours when they bark at you, you have your safety related thoughts coming first. Isn't it? Thanks for your feedback. And its only natural that dogs chase the frightened, more. -rgs

5. rgsrinivasan

I am glad to receive your nice feedback QuantSundar. Yes, it so happened to me many times when I was in a different place and returned late. I had to walk to my place then along the road that had dogs here and there. The way they all unite in barking scares you to hell. Isn't it? -rgs

6. sindhu06

sindhu06 New IL'ite

Hi RGS,

Its true. Nice one.

When I worked in night shifts I will return home only by morning 4.
    At first When I enter my street 5 dogs will stare at me and barks. After some days it started to guard me and follow me till I reach home safely...

Nice dogs...

7. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your feedback Sindhu06. Thinking again, I feel that our reaction is similar to the resistance to a change. Initially we feel threatened and refuse to accept, and later, we embrace it and find it a lot more easier. -rgs

8. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

A good story asusual RGS. liked the different perspectives / layers of others (be it animals) we come across depending upon the situations.

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Pallavi. Understanding the perspective of others will make it more complete. Isn't it? Thanks for your feedback. -rgs

10. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

The best thing that i liked about your blogs is that you write them with so much ease but not missing to make them feel real..And im not sure if you have seen an ad on the similar lines...I dont remember for which product that ad is for..Anyway....A man enters an ATM to withdraw money..That is when a thief enters ATM with a knife in hand asking him to withdraw 25000...He shivers to withdraw the cash only when the system says 'Sorry out of cash'....lol..You must imagine the man's relief when he sees that...I liked the ad very much..