Ask here - The recipes you want from ChitVish

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Re: Raghi recipes

Dear Chithra Ma'am

Thanks for your mail. That was so so so quick. How come? I checked the new rules of the forum, that only when we reach 50 posts, that we can open the attachments :bowdown. I feel this is too harsh to people like me. I didnt believe in simply writing mails clicking at "reply", saying " Oh,,,,,,,, that was very nice," well said", "hats off" etc. kind of meaningless messages just to increase the no. of posts. Any posts done, should carry a kind of message or information such as yours.

Anyway, now that I learned the trick/rule of the game Big Laugh, I will try to reach the minimum required milestone to be able to open the attachments.

I was in Chennai in the second and third week of March to attend my niece's wedding. BtW, which part of Chennai do you stay?

Thanks n Warm Regards
    Shanti

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shanti,
    Do try to interact in forums that interest you. IL has something to cater to everybody. Take a week to browse through in detail. You will be highly tempted to interact !

I live in Mylapore. Do come home on your next visit to Chennai. I would love to meet you, Shanti.
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

Re: raw rice

DearZee,
    It is not always that boiled rice can be substitute! It will be sticky & the dish will not turn out alright.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. veen

veen Senior IL'ite

Hi Chitra,

I saw Ondhwa flour in Indian stores. It is written healthy flour. I would like to know what dish to prepare out of this fllour. It is like Rava.

thank you

veen

5. Chitvish

Dear Veen,
    This is the first time, I am hearing this name.
    I am sorry, I do not know.
    Love,
    Chithra.

6. krishsudha

krishsudha New IL'ite

Dear Chitra madam,

I am looking for the recipe to make palkowa from ricotta cheese. I had tasted it at a party and it tasted like srivilliputhur palkowa. But I couldnt get the recipe.

If you happen to know it, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Sudha

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra aunty,

I had posted the recipe for VEGGIE PUFFS under the thread "Ideas for Indian Cooking Program" . I dont know whether you had a chance to look at it.

I was wondering if you could add this to the Recipe Index?

Here it goes......

RECIPE FOR VEGGIE PUFFS

Puff Pastry Sheets:
    These are available in Walmart and the brand name is Pepperidge farm.
    They also have pastry shells sold separately and these contain only 6 shells per packet.
    I usually make 18 puffs from one packet of puff pastry sheets( these are 2 separate sheets – 9 puffs out of each)
    These need to be stored in freezer. When ready to use, thaw them in room temperature for abt 45 mts to an hour.
    Stuffing:
    Ingredients:
    · Potatoes- 9 or 10 medium sized
    · Carrots – Chopped or Shredded
    · Peas – Frozen or fresh

Spices:
    · Dhaniya Powder ( I usually make them with dhaniya (coriander seeds), channa dal and red chillies which are dry roasted in a kadai and coarsely powdered in a blender)
    · Jeera (Cumin seeds)
    · fennel seeds (Sombu/Saunf)
    · Turmeric powder (Haldi/Manjal podi)
    · Asofoteida Powder (Hing/perungayam)
    · Salt (according to taste)
    Preparation Method:
    1. Pressure-cook the potatoes in the pressure cooker. Drain the water, peel the skin and mash them. Add the dhaniya powder, turmeric powder, salt, and asofoteida to this and mix this well. Keep this aside.
    2. Heat a kadai /pan and add a little amount of oil.
    3. To this add, jeera, fennel seeds.
    4. After they heat up, add turmeric powder and asofoteida powder.
    5. Add the chopped/shredded carrots and the frozen peas.
    6. Now add the dhaniya powder and salt according to taste.
    7. These need not be cooked fully on the stove since they will be completely cooked when baking in the oven.
    8. Now combine the mashed potatoes with the carrots and peas. Let this cool down.
    (You can make this stuffing the previous day also and store it in the fridge.)
    Meanwhile the puff pastry sheets will be thawed and easy to handle. Keep them on the wax paper when cutting them according to the desired shape. You can also add a bit of all purpose flour under the sheets so that they do not stick)
    9.They can be cut into rectangles/squares/triangles. I usually make them in rectangle shapes.
    10.Place the stuffing in the rectangles and close them tight by pinching the sides with a little water/flour.
    Make sure they are not over filled since they may be burst at the seams when baking if there is too much filling. Poke the puffs gently with a fork before placing them in the oven. This acts as a vent for the steam and the puffs retain the shape well.
    11. Preheat the oven to 400*F (this may take 10-15mts depending on the oven’s capacity)
    12. Place the stuffed puffs on a cookie tray in the upper section (lined with aluminum foil) inside the oven for abt 20-25mts. Make sure it is not very near the heat. Place them well spaced as they tend to get bigger when baking.
    It is better to keep a close eye on the puffs when they are baking even though it takes 20mts.
    VOILA!! You have GOLDEN BROWN PUFFS WHICH ARE CRISPY ON THE OUTSIDE AND SOFT ON THE INSIDE!!
    Take them out; let them rest for abt 2 mts. Then they are ready to eat!!
    They are a sure hit all the time whenever I make them at home for parties, potlucks etc.
    When making more puffs, you can make them in batches.
    Hope you have fun making and tasting them just like I do all the time![​IMG]

Thanks,
    Jithiks (Krithika)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  8. Chitvish

Dear Sudha,
    Since we do not get Ricotta cheese here, I have not tried it. Please post this query in the sub-form
    Sweet & Dessert Recipes - Unusual ones!
    in the thread
    Recipe-related queries
    Somebody who has tried it will answer you.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Chitvish

Dear Krithika,
    This recipe cannot be added to my recipe index, because this sub--forum is exclusively started for my recipes.
    If you want, you can post this in the miscellaneous sub-forum, in the after-school snacks for kids or in tiffins.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. durgees

durgees Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chitra mami,

I want to prepare some items in your Cook N Bake section.

The griller that we have in house is having two heating rods, one above and one below the plate. There is no option for setting temperature. We can select either the bottom rod, or top rod, or both of them on at a time. The timing can be adjusted.

I tried Shanvy's custard biscuits, it came out very well. I just saw the biscuits turning brownish and then i stopped it.

Generally how to use this type of oven? Any option other than approximate heating?

Also, can we make bread varieties (Non-egg) in this kind of oven?

Please suggest me.

Love,
    Durga

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.