1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are your children cherished?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by meenasankaran, Nov 17, 2010.

1. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Meena,

It was soul stirring reading the post. I dont know whether I am lenient to my dd or disciplinarian, because it varies one extreme to another. I mostly pamper her, cuddle her and be with her like her friend, but many times, when I feel she is going over board, in carelessness and not taking care of things and not giving her full efforts for studies, always on phone etc, I become very disciplined with her, then again go on guilt pangs and try to be lenient. Really I am confused now as to how to handle kids.

Reading mithila mam's post, was also very touching. Basically I am also a perfectionist, but have realised that it is affecting my relationship with everybody and to a certain extent I have relaxed that since last 2years. But still a long way to go.
    thanks for posting this eye opener post.

2. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Aruna,

Yes, you are right. All relationships are precious and should never be taken for granted. Only if we realize that time is a mirage, we can do what we can to ensure that every minute with our loved ones count. I am trying hard to remember and practice this lesson in my life. Thanks for visiting this thread Aruna.

3. meenasankaran

Oh Srama, are you sure that you are of Indian origin? Because you don't sound like a normal, Indian mother at all. You are a mom and you don't nag??? And most importantly, you tell your kids it is okay to slip in their grades??? One last question for you. What did your children do to deserve you as their mother? My hats off to you for an absolutely priceless attitude towards parenting. You are now officially my parenting guru. :)

4. meenasankaran

Thank you, dear Raba, for your understanding.
    Amen to that!

5. meenasankaran

Dear dimepona,

First of all, I am glad to make your acquaintance here in IL. Thank you for chipping in with your thoughts on the issue of parenting.

I completely agree with you. I am as culpable as everyone in this. There are moments when I fall prey to this rat race too but these days I am trying hard to see my actions through my children' s eyes and to curb my instinct to push for perfection.

Teaching a child good moral values in life is the duty of every parent but so is standing back and allowing them to make their share of mistakes and learn hard lessons in life. I will stop here before I get carried away again.:)

6. meenasankaran

Dear Viji aunty,

Thank you for your kind words. I can easily see you as a loving mom whom the children can count on for support at any time. If Uncle took on the role of a disciplinarian, then you had good balance in your home. As you rightly said, children are indeed God's gifts to be cherished forever.

7. meenasankaran

Dear Knot,

How are you? Why haven't we seen anything new from you in the Snippets lately? Do treat us soon with a post, Knot.

Yes, this girl's untimely death last year left a lasting impression in my mind and ever since I have been trying to mend my ways as a parent. All I can say is that it is a work in progress. :)

8. meenasankaran

My dearest Mythila aunty,

It takes enormous courage to make a public confession of any mistake and here you are baring your soul to all of IL with no secrets spared. No wonder you continue to be an inspiration to so many in IL. :bowdown

You are not alone in this aunty. I was just like you until last year taking my disciplinarian role a little too seriously. Like you, I did what I thought was best for the kids but in the process I bruised their confidence a few times and set unrealistic expectations to succeed. In my desire to see them reach their potential, I forgot to create an atmosphere of easy affection where the children could come to me with any of their problems and fears. I am so glad to have realized my mistakes sooner than later and now have a real chance of making it up to my kids.

Thank you for helping me unburden my soul too. Now that I have confessed my past mistakes, I feel better too aunty. :)

9. meenasankaran

Dear Radhikrish,

I completely understand what you mean by 'Really I am confused now as to how to handle kids.' You are not alone in this. Finding the right balance between affection and discipline is hard to achieve for a lot of parents like us. Don't laugh but many times I had wished that children came with instruction manuals :bonkbut since they don't we have to go with our gut feelings and do what we think is best for them. Whatever the method, at the end if we can leave ourselves accessible to our children, then we are not doing such a bad job, I think. Thank you for adding your valuable comments to this important discussion Radhikrish. :thumbsup

10. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

Hope you had a nice holiday weekend!

Actually, I had read this a long time ago but never managed to give a fb till now. Need I add that it is beautifully written and I finished reading it in a glance! That says a lot because your writing is easy on the readers.

Added to everything else, this time round, my eyes watered up. What you say is so true. Life is so unpredictable. We don't know what awaits us the very next minute. I am thankful to God that he lets us forget this fact and we go about our lives like it will last forever!

Children grow up so fast and before one realizes, they are above your shoulders treating you like a child.:) But then, there are also those unfortunate parents who never get to see that. I cannot even bear to think of that misery. At such times, I wonder what it is that God wishes from us.

Life is but a fleeting moment. We should cherish it and cherish our children and not belittle them when they fail to come up to our expectations. Be happy that they are hale and healthy.

L, Kamla