1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are you undecided whether to read this or not?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    It has been suggested to me by a well wisher that I should call you the bestest and after a great deal of thought, I have decided to comply with her suggestion. Be it known that henceforth, you will be referred to as the Bestest!:biggrin2:
    I agree with the song that you have quoted
    'Manaivi amaivathellam iraivan kodutha varam'
    I also agree that the reverse is never true. Because it is well known that 'kanavan amaivathellam manaivi seidha punniyam'! Haven't you seen that when someone is seen blessed with an extremely nice hubby like Vish, people say that the wife must have performed so many good deeds in her previous birth?
    Sri

2. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Cheeniya Sir! How could you include yourself in the 'Third parties' list. You are all the guiding lights of all the ilites here! It was just a general statement to say that we are always carried away by other peoples' views and ideas.
    Regards,
    Malathi

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

I have been rolling with laughter with ur exchanges between by our Naradhi and the BESTEST person here! Whatever i wanted to write after reading your leader post went flying out after reading these hearty exchanges, which are such a pleasant change to the otherwise depressing rainy day here!:coffee

But that apart, i think we all learn how to quickly arrive at decisions by practise and also if you have a indecisive partner with you. Also each one can be indecisive according to his or her upbringing and depending on what or when they have to make these decisions.
    The restaurant eg is a great one......hubby always would order the easily available one first; like simple idlis ( when we are really hungry, thats the best!) and i would end up ordering something which takes ages, and i would go about grumbling and that too i would have taken a good half hour to order also!
    But now i have learnt from him to do the same , that way no problem in deciding! This is just a simple eg, but the same has been adopted in other areas also. He takes quick decisions in some areas, and in others i do it faster.....so we have learnt to do it in tandem! But in some cases where he is not involved i do let it mull , sleeping over it literally , tossing and turning....definetely signs of decidophobia!
    And i do agree with AC, the "what to cook " syndrome , thats a major decision to be taken almost everyday............

I liked your expalnation of decison making in these examples, "lazy sunday morning" and "breakfast" and the "the Mil, wife" ....really tough decisions! :wink:

4. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    I read with interest how over a period of time, you have improved your decision making skills. To hone your aforesaid skills further, I suggest that you come to a broad agreement with your DH on who should order what. That way, if it is iddly, he'll order, you'll order for vadai and so on. That'll be a further improvement on working in tandem. In a current popular TV serial, the DH and DW split even the sentences they speak. DH speaks the first half and DW completes the sentence!
    You are right about your diagnostic symptoms for decidophobia. Tossing and turning are unmistakable signs of decidophobia!
    Somehow 40 years of my marriage with DW have taught me that it is safer for the hubby to be undecided for strategic reasons. When DW takes the decisions, they'll always be right even if things go wrong!:biggrin2:
    I am glad that the exchanges here lift your mood on a dull rainy day. That's why, I always tell people to save me for a rainy day!
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Dear Malathi
    On that reassuring statement of yours, I rest in peace!
    Sri

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dearb Cheenia,
    I am seriously affected by these twin diseases procrastination and decidophobia. Though I am trying to get rid of these diseases, so far I am not successful. If any one can give me suggestion to get rid of these two, I'll be greatful to them. As AC had mentioned , my day starts with what to cook for lunch for we do not have breakfast.
    PS

7. Cheeniya

Dear PS
    These two diseases are as common as cold and acidity and are as safe too if they are kept within limits. Acidity is very safe and treatable until it becomes ulcer. So are these two. Keep them within limits and they wont harm you!
    But if indecision starts affecting us adversely then we must do something about it. If indecision about what to cook is going to result in not cooking at all, it will require to be treated immediately. Best thing would be to have a joint meeting of the family the night before and arrive at a consensus of what should be the menu for the following day. This will stop you from getting tensed up in the morning!
    Sri

8. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

[yes, i know of the zodiac sign that lead in this factor, librans lead here, they can never make up their mind once they go shopping, why, for that matter, if you offer do you like this or want something else, and in the end u come back home with nothing.

Dear Sri Sir,
    Probably, I will account this Decidophobia to do something to the "Zodiac sign of Libra".....me and my father being Librans, are very finicky abt taking decisions and would try all the different possibilities/pros/cons before doing something and will always repent after being done........
    Jokes apart......as far as I have realised that when a person is struggling (both emotional/financial/physical.....) he is more prone to suffer from this phobia......when u r torn/broken, the mind also becomes like that and tries to look into different perspective before getting into a decision....
    A sound and healthy mind may not suffer from decidophobia......when the path in front of us is clearly visible to our mind.....we will go on that but when our goals are not set/we are not affluent......we try to ponder over things ending up in some more bizzare decisions.........
    Thank you very much for this nice POST of your.
    regards.

9. Cheeniya

Dear Meeta
    You have really touched upon a very significant aspect of decision making. You are quite right that it is easier for a mind that is free of all burdens to take a quick decision but for a mind that is weighed down with too many concerns, fears and apprehensions, the decision making capability gets severly affected.
    It is the same as a drunken man finding it difficult to think rationally. A clear and unburdened mind is the basic ingredient of a good decision making skill. When we face too many problems which are inter related, we have to necessarily think of so many pros and cons before arriving at a decision. Even then, the decision may go awry if we have overlooked a single aspect.
    I have myself been in such circumstances during my professional days when I used to find arriving at a decision extremely difficult. I must thank you for bringing this vital aspect for further discussion.
    Sri

10. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear sir,
    Very apt topic that i was longing to discuss abt .According to my point of view i feel that indecisiveness arises out of dilemma.Though u say that dilemma is "not able to decide between two undesirable choices".When we are in a dilemma,we are not able to come to a decision.So dilemma also accounts for indecisiveness.Secondly as you said when there are multiple choices available indecisiveness takes its shape.So there are multiple "good" choices presently.When all the choices are bad except one or two then our work becomes easier.The reason you cited "multiple choices",added to that i personally feel when there are lots of expectations ,anxieties then deciding is a hell even for small aspects of life.As u said in the last lines, the same holds good for me too.I face difficulties in arriving at a decision.Each and every one of us are indecisive at some point of time in life.It is not an issue unless we face difficulty in day today life.In this fast ,routine life there are many such disorders discovered daily.But i wonder and admire some who take decison boldly and really analyse how they are?

Thank u for an interesting topic.