1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are you contented with only pleasures of your life?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Jun 20, 2007.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

Are you contented with only pleasures of your life?

I feel truly and deeply, we cannot. The pleasure is experienced or enjoyed if and only if we experience the pain.

Suppose God appears before you and willing to grant only pleasures to you the whole of your life, are you all ready to take up the boon? Think all the possibilities.

If anyone of you have derived a pleasure out of pain, please share. This may give solutions to many problems.

Regards,

Vanaja

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

If you look on the whole it seems that we are contended with the pleasures of life. We can enjoy those only if we know its value.
    Its like 'you know the greatness of the shadow, only when you are in the sun'. there is 'no pain, no gain'.
    If God appears in front of me, that itself a boon. I will not wish for anything more. Even now if I go to the temple I don't even know what to do after seeing God in the altar. Even the slokas I chant each day does not pop up in my mind. I don't know why.
    It will be like having only sweets and no savouries.. You will get bored after sometime, we will get to know this only after some experiences.
    In Mahabharatha days, it is Kunti or Draupadi, I don't remember, she told Lord Krishna to give more hazards in life so that they will be remembering Him all the time. I don't think we can think to that an extent.
    For women, childbirth is pain and after than we forget about it and be happy in seeing the child's face.
    After marriage, women has to adjust with her new home. There comes lot of adjustments and pains. If we are patient enough, we can see the end result of it. It through experience only we get to learn.
    after marriage I came to US with none of my relatives living here. My mil came to live with us and gave us lot of problems. Only after 12 years my husband came to know what is happening in the house. he don't know much because i don't bother him with such things. In those days, it is the faith in the Almighty and also so much prayers from my parents side that made me go through all the 3 childbirth without any help (of course, a little help from mil) and also overcome the difficulties I am facing in day to day life. Even today whenever I hear somebody is having problem in their pregnancy, I feel that how blessed I am that God made it easier for me, as I don't have any help.
    What i learned from my experiences is that, have faith in the Almighty and He will definitely show us a way. That way in my life, I came to know that if we change our attitudes about the people we can live atleast peacefully. I thought that because of my mil's behaviour i got noticed for my good side. This is a pleasure compared to the pain i suffered because of her.
    Count your blessings whenever your are down and have faith in God and He will be there for you.
    Sriniketan

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
    sindmani and Pallavi4me like this.
  3. meeta012

meeta012 Junior IL'ite

I think this is a loaded dicey question...with no real answer.
    No offence meant-but I truly feel that no one will have an even keel of a life with only pleasures .
    So...at the risk of sounding snooty(don't mean to:)..the question is a moot one.
    As a person who has been thru a nasty,painful divorce and who is bringing up a child on ones own...my answer will be a resounding "yes" -I would be content with only pleasures.
    But...aaah!! here's the catch:) !! What do you define as a pleasure? For me the definition wud be"lord..please gimme time from my night-duty-call-centre-job" to spend more time to catch up with my growing daughter to help with her HW.To quietly sit and talk to my fav goddess mahalakshmi's picture or my old mom and not keep rushing here and there saying "i need to earn money" and my cab is waiting downstairs" .Hey!! while I'm making a wish list..can i ask for some time to read everyday?

If my definition of pleasure is parties and new clothes and stuff like that.....lol..I dont need pleasures of that kind...except occasionally.

But then...lord..mata mahalakshmi...no mental worries please..no pain please..no dilemnas...for anyone.Not the kind which sap your happiness and your smiles and your energy in the name of making you a more "richly experienced person" in the portal of life.

Sorry-may sound bitter...but hey:) thats how i feel about it.Again,no offense meant to anyone:)

Warm regards,
    Meeta.

2 people like this.
  4. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Sriniketan,

If God appears before you, you are going to be satisfied with only His Darshan? Anyway He is going to vanish within seconds. Would you not feel later that we could have asked this and that, if not sooner, definitely later.

That was just my opinion. But you have put your feelings in a very gentle and consoling way. Those who read this will be definitely benefited. Your patience earned you peace. Thank you very much for sharing.

regards,

Vanaja

1 person likes this.
  5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meeta,

You need not be apologetic for expressing your thoughts. Your thoughts are the result of all the struggles you have been through and are still putting up a brave fight to win this war of life.
    It is all well and good to get philosophical and good answer to such questions. It is not enough to preach, one has to be able to practice what one preaches. I may say that I want both the khatta and meeta in life because one cannot enjoy one without the other. But, when khatta is the prominent part of a life, how can one not wish for meeta, and that too...when the Lord Himself appears and asks! Yes, it is another matter that if and when the God is before you, will you be still hearing and asking...NO :) That would be the end of my being in this mortal world I guess.
    But ....the saying goes...when you dream, dream big! Hey, it is only a dream, so why not? Think happy and be happy. There is something called the Law of Attraction...go attract happiness and pleasures and be happy and spread pleasure to all :))

L, Kamla

6. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi,

i am still thinking if i can write naything sometimes i am really confused what is real pleasure. Till date what i have experienced only i can say that we don't get anything free of cost we have to pay for everything even for a smile. Let it be pleasure of life. if we consider pleasure of life as getting all the facilities at home, having a good house both of these things we don't get free we do hard work save money here again we are not getting anything free of cost we are saving money by controlling ourselves somewhere we are sacrificing to get this ploeasure of good house with all facilties. now second pleasure to have good obedient children with a good future, again we don't get this too free of cost we have to pay parents they sometimes punish children which really pinches them but they pay this cost to gain everlasting happiness of having good children. If we think enjoying paries getting stylish dresses all these are pleasures i don't think so, these are one moment pleasure, such things can be managed for time being but to gain these pleasure again we pay some cost by having insecured future, how, if we don't think about future like not taking any pain for future just want to menjoy the party and dress ok we have to pay for this with an insecured future resulting due to this carelesness. So pleasure of life never comes alone it have many faces little bitter, little sour little salty but after combinig with all these result is really sweet and satisfying.
    i hope i can pen properly my feelings this is really difficult to think and write.

bye
    padma

7. lathanarasimhan

lathanarasimhan New IL'ite

Hi all
    all your musings on pleasures of life are worth reading. How much we learn when
    we read so many opinions.
    For me anything that brings even a moment of happiness is pleasure. Its a pleasure to watch your child's first step, first word. Its a pleasure when My married daughter visits us.Its a pleasure to cook for our family and friends. I even enjoy the small fights with my husband. In fact my husband gets worried when we both agree on something without a fight.
    If you enjoy what we do Life is a pleasure.
    It was a pleasure to write this post.
    regards latha
    [​IMG]

8. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Padma & Latha,

You both have come out with different answers.

Padma, like you, me to confused about what is real pleasure. Generally people say, "Naan enna sogathai kanden". What do they really mean by this? Yes, it is confusing.

Latha, if everyone starts feeling like you, you will all have to read my question again. As such you cherish and enjoy even small small happenings of life. Good going.

regards,

Vanaja

1 person likes this.
  9. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Meeta & Kamla,

Meeta, you yearn for a pleasure of being with your daughter, talking to Mata Mahalakshmi and your mom. This pleasure is fully met, only and only if you are relieved from your job, which may i call it as a pain. If you do not consider the job as a pain, then you are almost contented with what you are now.

Kamla, like you, i too want liberation if God appears before me. But are we adding this to our daily prayers? May be, but that would be the last priority. Thank you for your supportive comments.

regards,

Vanaja

10. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi All,
    Just read all your musings on being contented with the pleasures of life, and what do we exactlky mean by PLEASURE!
    I guess at each stage of life these things change. For me at the 40 plus, the simple pleasures are like Latha has said, cooking for family, being with them and the occasionaly fights with hubby and wondering if a day goes by without a disagreement! I guess priorities change and we go through a lot when we are young and realise what it is to enjoy every moment of our life.....even if it is a pain , a physical or an emotional hurt( which believe me gives more pain than a physivcal one and stays on for longer!) As such we learn to accept the pain and try to await for time when it will pass away and rejoice in small pleasures!
    Like Kamala says, no harm in Dreaming and dreaming big and to be happy! It does take away the sting from the Pain and we learn to live with it, and get on!

Dear Vanaja, you seem to be coming up with varies topics for discussion, and you throw it open for discussion....Good job, ma'am, keep on coming with such topics! IT does help us to share, think and learn a lot!:2thumbsup: