1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are people with fair skin treated better generally ???

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Mar 8, 2015.

1. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

My daughter is only 5'4. She is close to 16 , so I don't think she is going to grow anymore.
    She picked up the height and skin from her dad and I'm not very happy about it. :(:(
    She picked up brain, confidence and hair ( straight and silky) from dad's and I'm very happy about it :D:D

Btw, when you tag jammy, do you know u are tagging someone else tsk

1 person likes this.
  2. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

Yes, I feel people with fair skin are treated better generally by people seeing them for the first time or only time,just acquiantances etc.

I'm a normal south indian both in looks and complexion. But till date I've not personally faces discrimination because of my looks. I've always done academicaly well, so that has kept my confidence high.

DH is fair and DD has taken after him. When I saw my DS for the first time my reaction was "Now I've a child who looks like me!:crazy"

I used to have long thick hair and now wherever I go the topic is my hair loss . Looks like I was judged on what was inside and outside my headthinkingsmiley.

sindmani, pear, Shanvy and 1 other person like this.
  3. shivani1

shivani1 Senior IL'ite

One of my cousin is now 35. He is at high post,everything's good. he is searching for a good bride from 6 years. and still searching Hes still waiting for "fair looking" girl.. (in our language gori bahu". Fair DiL. strange.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Justanothermom happy jammy now don't underestimate the power of jammy by giving too much credit to your hubby on brains and confidence..we don't expect too much humility from you jammy, that is another matter if our dh gives us the credit like mine who says the brains and never say die attitude that my kids have is from me..

2 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@damini many are dukkam visarchifying (condolences) my dd's hair than about her fracture:rotfl..much to her irk...

1 person likes this.
  6. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

When my DD was born everyone said she is fair may be the saffron did its part. After 3 days, her color began to change and she started getting our color. Me and my DH are dark but now due to prolonged sitting in air conditioned cabins skin color is better.
    When in India we never used to bother about skin color and used to roam so much without any creams or glass.
    Reduced tanning have surely helped us.
    Now my DD is gaining some brightness and her skin now looks wheatish. Her face is more wheatish than the rest of her body. Better than both of us.
    I am 5.8 and my DH is 5.9 so it is obvious she will be taller ( right now). Don't know who things will be once she is 9 or 10 years.

I only wish she gets my DH s physique as I am tired of worrying about weight loss while both of them enjoy cheese spreads and peanut butters. I can only envy...

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@justanothermom, @sheztheone and @shanvy

I do apply coconut oil, olive oil mix with vit E and leave it over night at least for 2-3 times a week before washing my hair. But again, I use chemical based shampoo and conditioner for washing it. Else, it would look dull.

As for hair treatment and stuff, the parlor look is always great. But it is also with the support of chemical at the end of the day. Due to tight work schedule, I am yet to visit the parlor for a month time. My hair looks frizzy and dry though I apply everything natural that I learn from the net to keep it protected.
    Hair fall is yet to be the problem though it is there. But after reading your posts about natural beautiful hair without parlor makes me crave for something similar too.

PS: I have been rebonding this hair since 2004, and coloring it every now and then for functions and special occasions. Also, I do apply heating devises to curl it or iron it at home other than regular parlor visits. My hair looks decent though, but it is not natural :(

8. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

I think he will be a good dad for a child .He would be able to teach his child how not to go behind skin color.Practical experience never goes waste.I learnt it through my grandma who went behind skin color and later banged her head(of course in private):cheers

9. blacktear

blacktear New IL'ite

10. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Many thanks to all who poured in supportive responses @pear @Laks09 @Sparkle @Shanvy @sheztheone @damini. It is truly encouraging. I am elated enough to celebrate brown color. let me accept that I was insecure few times about her color when she was amongst her friends who are very fair. Although I didn't wish she become fairer I was worried about the casual remark by someone.Thankfully no such thing has happened so far. I think I am better prepared to act now even it happens.

I have started taking my daughter out to places and events where she gets exposed to new people who are passionate about their work with the hope that she develops high ambitions in the long run.

Without deviating too much from the topic, I want to express few things about parents being role models. I am an average person when it comes to exhibiting confidence. I am committed and determined but making bold statements and showing confidence, I really don't come forward. I cry in front of my DD sometimes when I am trying hard to discipline her (mostly related to time management) and my husband takes a stand opposite to mine. we end up having arguments in front of her. It upsets the same goal we have for our daughter as parents and I feel I go a few steps backward in front of my daughter. Any tips to overcome hullabulla and meltdowns in front of children? Is it always possible to pose a H-W united look for every matter?

4 people like this.