Are Indians in Western countries Thrifty and Smart or just Cheap and Misers?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Decentguy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

A neighbor used to send her toddler to watch cartoons at my place because she decided cable was unnecessary and "not good for kids" :bang... Good mother.:thumbsup

4 people like this.
  2. ashyprynia

ashyprynia Bronze IL'ite

In every country you have people who think twice before spending and those who spend lavishly. Spending or not spending sees no borders. Infact we have learnt this so called "SALES" or "factory sales"...from the west and its only that we guys are putting it the best use.

3. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

My inlaws were like this. Used to go to ISCKON temple for free sambhar rice;-)...Now in India they barely set foot into any temple!

3 people like this.
  4. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Guys....:hiya ...i did somethign recently :hide:...........

Wwe went to an Indian restaurant and there my Son bangs the glass table with the spooon continuosly .....poepl look at us. some had sympathetic looks ..som smiled at us. some laughed at us. and some threw ....'useless people..they too need amrika or wot.....kind of looks at us.

so to stop him ..i said hey u ...look out ...there goes a Cooper Car...and while he is looking for that cooper car...i hide the sppoon in my pant pocket. our fiood arrives and he forgot bt the sppooon.

we eat. we pay the bill. we ocme home. and I realize i still have the steel sppoon from the rrstaurant. :biggrin2:

shd we return it in the restaurant when we go next time? :roll:

or use it :biggrin2:

12 people like this.
  5. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Next time you go to the restaurant, tip the waiter. Problem solved !!

1 person likes this.
  6. KilaliAnju

KilaliAnju Guest

you can neither give it back or tip the waiter as decentguy said, but remember :) scratched or broken glass table is more expensive then simple spoon :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl so u saved higher costs anywhays for everyone :) and hey, dont care about others looks
    I once had a child coming over to our table and sitting with us i gave the kid some of our foods as he wanted to try :rotfl maybe that wud be option next time, if they stare send kid over and let them handle better if they think they can :bonk

4 people like this.
  7. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Yeah this i will do boss. pakka. good amoutns. :exactly:...because i worked as a waiter too in flash back :biggrin2: .....so i have a soft corner :D

8. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Highlighted: This is called thinking out of the spoo..sorry box. :clap:hatsoff...

LOL! hehehe send the kid over to them.........coooool......that would be fun for us...we can eat hot food then. I suually stare at them in return ....and they would start eating their food as if they dint see us and in secodns would be watchign us from the corner of the eye again only to find me still starign at them :biggrin2:.......thats the best time pass. i do it when am bored :biggrin2: and food is not that itneresting. lol.

9. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Seeing this thread very late.. I agree that few ppl think twice before spending.
    But i'd never generalize this as Indians. My white neighbors are visibly cheap ! They have been using my free wifi because she does not know how to repair or reconfigure her modem. Their pc is not connecting with their modem .

me being the "IT person on the block" :thumbsup , Well we shared the password for my wifi to confirm if the PC works or not. :rant and now we are stuck ! :hide:
    That lady did not even buy a new dress for her 2nd kid's 1st birthday . she whispers her confession to me .says the dress was a gift given to her 1st kid during that kid's birthday. She saved it for 2nd one.
    This I call Cheap ! Can she not buy a new dress for the birthday atleast ? For daily use I agree you can use hand-me-downs... :coffee

And yes I hate it when my friends re-gift and it is clearly visible to me that it is a re-gift.

Like Arch1209 mentioned, I do reuse some good Gift bags, but I make sure I remove all old Tags (or i do not use the bags that have gift note written on them).

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Wow! I must be really cheap!

1) I do stock up on winter clothes for my child when they are all on clearance, going out of stock. I do not see any reason to cough up the $$$ and pay the premium when I know I can get it for less than 1/2 the cost later!

2) I find some birthday gifts will definitely not be used by my child, so I really do not think anything of giving it away for kids visiting our house or save it for some other child who I know will like it. Also, the gift bags, I do not see any reason to stock it up or buy more when already have a bunch lying in the house, so I do recycle them. Of course, if it has something written on them, I can't use it, but others, I do recycle.

3) I don't know about pooling purchase for coupons, but if I do have a coupon or a friend has a coupon that is $10 off, and both of us have something we want to buy, we do pool the purchase. Usually, I just pay her the entire amount of my purchase or she pays me back the entire amount of her purchase. I do not see anything wrong with doing that. If we buy any thing like groupons for restaurants etc., and we go out with friends, we do split the cost of the groupon as well. I do not find anything wrong with that.

4) We do share a Costco membership with one of our friends because we do not think it is worth paying the entire membership fee for the amount of stuff we get from Costco.

And we do have a HD TV, 3D capabilities and other super cool features... but we only have Dish for local Tamil channels, and not the usual HD channels. We prefer to watch other stuff from Netflix or DVDs from the library. We mostly watch tamil channels at home! The intention when we bought it was not to show off to our friends or anything, but just that we wanted the TV and got a really good deal!

4 people like this.