Are Humans Superior To Animals. If So, Do We Have A Right To Terrorize Them?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Review Article
    Free Access < link >
    The Causal Relationship between Eating Animals and Viral Epidemics
    Abstract: For decades it has been known that infectious agents including pathogenic protozoans, bacteria, and viruses, adapted to a particular animal host, can mutate to gain the ability to infect another host, and the mechanisms involved have been studied in great detail. Although an infectious agent in one animal can alter its host range with relative ease, no example of a plant virus changing its host organism to an animal has been documented. One prevalent pathway for the transmission of infectious agents between hosts involves ingestion of the flesh of one organism by another. In this article we document numerous examples of viral and prion diseases transmitted by eating animals. We suggest that the occurrence of cross-species viral epidemics can be substantially reduced by shifting to a more vegetarian diet

The review is a brief synopsis of the genesis and history of each of the most recent zoonotic viral pandemics. After skimming through the article, one might wonder if there could be viruses that a cabbage, carrot, okra or brinjal can host. And a sentence in the concluding paragraph says "No known epidemic has resulted from the transmission of a plant virus to an animal."

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  2. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

Yes we are more intelligent and we have responsibility.

Fritoj Capra who I believe is the author of "Tao of Physics" says humans must be in harmony with Earth, in harmony with nature. I am unsure if he is vegetarian or non-vegetarian.

I am upset to hear about the pregnant elephant. I am upset. It seems like not only female humans but also female animals who are pregnant also cannot escape torment when they are most delicate.

Humans are also animals and settle down from hunter-gatherers to farmers. There must be better solution of keeping wild boars away, some scarecrow type solution where animal is scared of.

But humans don't treat other humans with dignity, esp if they are poor, low class in India.

One developmentally disabled women who appeared on India's Who wants to be a millionaire was thrown in the trash by Doctors due to birth defects. Her Grandmother, a sweeper woman had to bribe pune to rescue her.

If we don't care about people how do we care about animals?

chanchitra likes this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

This is interesting article. Of course in USA they spray pesticides, hence we must wash produce.

I wash fruits and veggies with soap and water before peeling them to eat.

And there are so many theories on what caused COVID!

4. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Mostly viral pandemic especially covid started due to to the unhygienic eating practices of the Chinese.
    We can't blame the animal for the pandemic.
    Why eat pangolins?
    Propee cooking is also important

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

I looked up pangolins. At first I thought I was looking at an artichoke, but then I read more.

Ant-eaters?

Who eats ant-eaters????