Are Domestic help agencies reliable?

Discussion in 'Personal Services' started by asha_karthik, Jul 14, 2010.

1. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Ladies,
    Do any of you have any experience with agencies that provide domestic help/cook? i have identified an agency close to my place to provide a part-time cook for my home. how reliable are these agencies? frequent leave, not-on-time happens with any maid, especially in chennai, these days... not just with maids employed by agencies.
    am more concerned if there are any potential security issues coz we are engaged with an agency. pls share your experience.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

recently a friend of mind had a very bitter experience with the agencies.

she wanted a cook cum lady-friday and the agency gave her one person who worked for two days and went on leave, and never returned, when she asked the agency, the agency asked her to deposit for another month, and then sent one more.. later we came to know that this is a great business these days.

i would recommend go by word of mouth from people around you rather than these agencies. i think there is a thread here in chennai forum that discussed lot of hindrances they faced through these agencies.

on the other note, domestic help is now too much in demand that they want the best pay, less work.

one of my friends had hired a cook, and she had asked for good fluffy idlis, and this lady just added cooking soda as she was lazy to grind the batter as requested. the lady takes home most of the provisions, sometimes the baby is left to scream while she is on the phone..

this is not to scare you asha, but realities..to get a maid who is honest, reliable is luck/gift??

3. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

thank you for your quick reply shanthi.

I did hear something on frequent leave etc from a person i know. i am not looking at full-time unsupervised maid now, but what you said did scare me. at this point, i just need a cook who can pack things for all of us (i love cooking, but hate packing !) :). word of mouth is the method i took; 2 months in vain. :drowning