April 2009 mommies - Welcome!

Discussion in 'Due Date Clubs' started by AnithaA, Aug 20, 2008.

1. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Suba,

My doc said the test for GD is conducted after 21 weeks. I got it done around 22 weeks. Some test for GD only after 24 weeks - so do ask your gyn about it. Also, try to substitute sweets with fruits whenever you have a craving for sweets. I have been doing this and find it helps my metabolism better. Take care.

Regards,
    Anitha

2. subashinib

subashinib Senior IL'ite

Hey Anithu., thanks a ton for ur immediate reply.Will ask my gynae during my next visit abt the blood test.I will try to have fruits instead of sweets.,but its difficult isnt it?!!!!!.Hope you are doing well.Take care my love.

3. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Suba, eating fruits was easy for me as I had this aversion to sweets. :) Only now I eat some sweets but not a lot. I just don't seem to like them!!

So how is everybody else doing? I had an interesting development this week - itchy belly! Yes, I have these red streaks on my tummy that will eventually become stretch marks. So the belly keeps itching. I moisturise the skin frequently with coconut oil. It sure helps the itching. By the way, if any of you experience itching, DO NOT SCRATCH! This will lead to more stretch marks. Keeping the skin moisturised is the only way out.

Keep in touch folks.

Regards,
    Anitha

4. drli

drli New IL'ite

Hey Anitha
    Hope you are feeling better.
    I think its best to keep ourselves moisturised to avoid the discomforts of dry skin n itching and stretch marks .well! I heard vitamin E oil that we get in pharmacy's are pretty good.
    we can also try stretch mark creams ,or olive oil, almond oil. ultimately whether we get strecth marks or not is hereditary....but we can try n avoid the discomforts of dry itchy skin by keeping ourselves moisturised.

5. manshreya

manshreya Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Thanks Anitha !!!
    yeah everything went fine with god's grace...the ultrasound showed that baby's growth is good..and yes its a baby girl for me..........we r happy as we were expecting a girl.
    i was so worried before the ultrasound, people were saying that i shudn't be travelling in the 5th month and i travelled from india....had jet lag, sleeplessness ...acidity all that stuff..and got the dr's appointment only after 15 days...now i m feeling much better
    i am too feeling flutters in my stomach..
    the blood work has not been done yet for diabetes, i think they'll do it in my next visit,
    in India the dr. advised me to control sugar intake as there is a history of diabetes on both sides(parents).i am controlling it to an extent but u know u can't resist it sometimes...do u think its a good idea to use sugar free?

take care you all mommies!!!!

keep writing

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  6. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

Hi all Happy-April-Moms,

My mom repeats this everytime she talks to me. "If your belly itches, use a towel to gently wipe on it, never use your fingers" :)

Its winter time, if you are using only oil, its better to apply atleast 2 a day esp. from 6th month. I use a special stretch mark prevention lotion since week 5 and use it immediately after bath. This way you are more moisturized.
    Also maybe Himalaya or VLCC might have a special cream for stretch marks. Check it out.

7. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Merli and Krutika, thanks for your suggestions. Like Merli says stretch marks are hereditary and all we can do is prevent the itchiness. Moisturising with coconut oil twice a day seems to work for me till now. Lets see.

Manshreya, good to know your baby is doing well. And congratulations on a girl! My husband too wants a girl but folks all around me are saying we'll have a boy - based on the size of my belly, weight gain, etc. We'll have to wait till April to know for sure I guess. :) And please do not use Sugar Free. It is not advised during pregnancy. Like I was saying earlier, try to substitute sweets with fruits. That way we'll satisfy the craving for something "sweet" and also control sugar intake. Take care!

Hope all the other mommies are doing well. Take care all of you.

Regards,
    Anitha

8. sharma_shilpa

sharma_shilpa New IL'ite

Hello All the Mommies,
    Thank you all for your suggestions, I feel better this week though constipation is still there but not wors. Hope all of you doing fine, I also started using a stretch mark cream recently as my tummy is not very big yet and I am skinny too so people keeps telling me I wont be having stretch marks. My doctor also told me that if you have to have the stretch marks you can not avoid it, inspite of using many moisturizers or stretch marks prevention creams, I use it only for my satisfaction.

Anitha, thank you for informing that Sugar Free is not advisable during pregnancy, I also read somewhere that a pregnant women should not take honey it’s also not advisable.

Manshreya, congratulations on having a baby girl. Same as you I also started feeling baby movements in my stomach and sometimes its so frequent and feels that someone is tickling me that I cant control my smile :rotfl

Take care all keep sharing your experience.

9. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

I didnt know that a pregnant woman cant have honey. I know in US honey is not given to babies < 1 yr old. But in India in many cultures, thats the first thing the baby licks. Also we have no idea what kind of honey it is that we get in stores. According to Ayurveda, there are 8 types honey, depending on the kind of bee that collects it!
    On stretch marks, we can only try to minimize the appearance. Many of my friends stop applying anything to their tummies once they delivered. It is advised that one continues to apply the stretch mark cream atleast 6 months afte delivery too.
    I can feel baby movements at times, but I'm waiting for my baby to really kick and say hi to me once! :)

10. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

So how is everything with you? Sorry, have not checked in for some time. I had mild intestinal irritation which resulted in diarrhoea! The doc said everything is fine and am completely alright now. Phew! Am going back to Chennai next week, so packing has started again. :) So what plans for the new year? I guess this year will change a lot for most of us. :) By the way, I made the list of "essential things for the baby"(needed my mom's help) and whoa! It sure is a big one. I never realised a baby's needs would be so much. And that made me realise I badly need to clean up my shelves so I can keep the baby's stuff! bonk I was assuming a little space would do but then....... :-D

So what have you all been doing? Anybody here into knitting/crocheting little sweaters or caps? Hope to hear from you all soon.

Wishing you all a wonderful new year,
    Anitha