1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Applying turmeric for the girl babies

Discussion in 'Infants' started by prana, Mar 8, 2010.

1. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Hi gals,

Do you people apply kasthoori manjal or turmeric to your girl babies while bathing.It is said that if we do it,it will make fall of the light hairs on their upper lips etc...Still I don't do it.My DD is 10 1/2 month old.What do u guys say???

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Prana,

I did not apply kasturi manjal to the face, but for the first three months only I applied it with a little cream while bathing DD. Now in summers I have stopped applying anything on the face or body.

Kasturi manjal is a strong ingredient and known for causing redness on the face. Best is to leave the face and the skin as it is. Once your LO is about three years and above you can apply a mixture of chana dal powder and water but you need to do it everyday and it seems to reduce the upper lip hair. LO's skin is super sensitive before the age of three so best to leave it untouched..

3. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Lee, Thanks for the reply.I too think that and avoided.But elders in my family suggesting this often.Thats why I raised a question.Anyway I ll do it after 3 or 4 years...

Lenora is a nice name...:hiya

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Prana,

i second Lee to apply any such powders after they're 3 years old. Though completely natural, my son's paed even recommended not to use besan/moong powder for bathing as they can lead to dry skin.

also it's better to grind your own manjal rather than buying from shops. if at all this isn't possible try to buy from naatu marundhu shops. my cousin once got severe allergies after using store-bought kasturi manjal.

Latha

5. MiaSen

MiaSen Senior IL'ite

Prana,
    I agree with the other suggestions.
    For my son we had actually applied a powder made of turmeric, gram dhal and few other ingredients (dnt remember exactly)...
    Though DS never had dry skin due to this, i was scared to the core and would argue with my mom everytime she does it...:rant
    I've read somewhere tat its not gud ot use it during summer too as it agravates heat - make sure u just apply, wash and never rub it over baby's skin.

6. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Latha,

Thanks for the reply.Yes u r correct about store brought product.Anyway I should be careful when I buy it.:)

7. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

MiaSen,

Thanks for the reply.For a safer side, I won't do it now.I should think about it after some 2 years.....