1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Moved To Canada From Usa?

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by gknew, Sep 18, 2020.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I don’t know anyone who moved from the US to Canada. Some of my distant relatives have been in Canada since 1970 and they seem very happy there.

gknew likes this.
  2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

As far as I know Ielts/ Language test is mandatory for PR, irrespective of visa status. But only thing is you might get some points for Canadian experience.

As you already mentioned weather is a major drawback in most of the Canada including Toronto.
    You can try Vancouver /BC as weather is better compared to Toronto. But cost of living is higher in Vancouver.

gknew likes this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Cost of housing in Canada is too much compared to US. Many people who move from US sell the house here and buy there.

If you have lived in Bay Area or NYC , you may feel housing prices are similar. But if you compare other US cities, housing cost is exorbitant.

Canada vs. USA: Which Housing Market Has It Worse?

For new comers it’s very difficult unless you have enough savings.

Healthcare is good.
    But I find only two major drawbacks in Canada: High Taxes and Weather. If you don’t mind that then you may not feel difficult to adjust there as most of the things are similar.

And also the pay for white collar jobs is higher in US than in Canada.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    gknew likes this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I live in an HCOL area in the USA and my cousin lives in Vancouver, Canada. Housing is quite comparable in Vancouver to California. There are many suburbs that are cheaper and more affordable.
    The weather in Vancouver is mild, quite similar to Northern California in my opinion.
    If you have good health insurance in the USA you will find Canadian insurance somewhat similar.

Toronto is much colder. I have visited Toronto several times in winter (January-March) and I found the weather comparable to midwestern USA. Atlanta winters are no where close to midwestern/Toronto winters (I have lived in Atlanta for six years).

Why do you think it will take 20 years to get Green card in the USA? I am not sure about your situation but most of my tech friends got their Green card in 10-12 years (I am not comparing with PhDs where the time could be much shorter). The Canadian PR is point-based and if you are 35 or below your ill get full points for age. IELTS is required but if you have been in the USA for several years, you would do fine. You will also get points for work experience in Canada for PR.

gknew likes this.
  5. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

If you can adjust with harsh winter Canada is a good place.today its 15 degrees in Toronto and it will keep on dropping till next March-Apr :)
    -20 ,-25 is quite common in late Dec-Jan.I spent 9 winters in Canada and made me so depressed.But most of my friends here enjoy skiing and other winter sports and find Canada is best for these things.Why dont you try for a year and take decision.Health care is good though sometimes waiting period can be long.Education is ok.Toronto house rent is very high.But you will get something cheaper in the suburbs.Go train and TTC connects many localities of GTA

gknew likes this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much for sharing these information @shravs3.

shravs3 likes this.
  7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you. Are you in Canada now?

8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @nuss.
    Thank you so much @nuss.
    I am in Atlanta for last 4+ years.
    You are right. Atlanta weather is no closer to any mid West states or Canada. But it was difficult for me initially and I am ok now. I usually don't go out much in winter considering the cold wind.

Where do you live now?
    Dh also got a option to change to an another state within USA if he wants to. So, the manager asked him if he wants to move within USA or Canada.

We don't know what to decide. I don't know much about living in other states. Don't know which state to prefer.

Is West coast or texas a good place to move? We have to research more before deciding though. Which one do your recommend of you have given a chance.

nuss likes this.
  9. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Which state are you in @MalStrom ,@shravs3 ?

Dh also got a option to change to an another state within USA if he wants to. So, the manager asked him if he wants to move within USA or Canada.

We don't know what to decide. I don't know much about living in other states. Don't know which state to prefer.

Is West coast or texas a good place to move? We have to research more before deciding though. Which one do your recommend of you have given a chance.

shravs3 likes this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

West coast is good but Bay Area housing is expensive.
    Texas is good both in weather(Summers are very hot but winters are good) and for housing. Many people from west coast are moving to Texas because of affordable prices.

gknew likes this.