1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Here Take Nerve Medications And Metformin

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by gknew, Apr 6, 2022.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks Malstrom. I'll check this book.
    I hope I find some relief. Jaw and neck pain are constant and I am just hoping to get some answers.

2. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

PCOS and very irregular cycles. did not bother on weight gain at that time was trying for 2nd one.

gknew likes this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

I didn't know that Metformin can be used for weight loss, PCOS and irregular cycles too. This is new info. Thanks and I hope you feel better now.

lavani likes this.
  4. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

this is 10 year old update. :) . 2nd is annoying the hell out of me and dh

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

For Rheumatoid Arthritis they used to RA factor, not sure it is still in practice. One side of the leg or hand it pains next day pain and swelling shifts to other side leg or hand in this condition

the auto immune conditions tough to diagnose as it is symptoms based doctors treat I think.
    For ex fibromyalgia.

I eat anti inflammatory diet home made 99 percent of the time, not easy but food is the medicine, it helps a bit and medicines a bit

gknew likes this.
  6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Have you checked your vitamine D levels. Is it possible for you to find a functional medicine doctor and do a detailed blood test.
    Your inflamation markers are really high, this suggests that some autoimmune issue may be there. Many autoimmune issues dont have any cure, but it can be managed by life style change and by removing foods that cause inflamation or issues( example, gluten diary etc). I guess you dont have any dental issues.

Have you confirmed your issue is neurological? My friends used Metformin for different issues, ie., diabetics & fertility treatment during ttc.
    Are you sure you dont have any sinus issue.
    I had this problem of severe pain in my face and mouth. I still dont know the reason, but steam bath and drinking strong ginger tea( boiled water plus ginger) helped me. I thought its related to IBD issue I have. Hope you dont have any intestinal issues. As we age, we need to supplement, especially, Vit D, iron, ( deficiency can lead to hairfall too), vit B especially B12 abd omega 3( can reduce inflamation )

Anyway, keep exploring and hope you find a solution.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    gknew likes this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Hi Gknew,
    Even without the health issues, people of south asian descent and diet have issues with weight gain. Our high carb diets, and poor eating habits, big rice meal 2-3 times a day contribute to the weight gain. What I was trying to convey earlier is that you can independently start controlling that aspect of your diet by reducing amount of calories that go in, adding protein, maybe try intermittent fasting etc while doctor figures out the other issues.
    I urge you to take a more active role in your health. It's not encouraging that the doc had no idea what was causing your issue and prescribed the medicine on 'try and see ' basis. You are allowing the doc to prescribe medicines that he's not sure about - that's a big no no. And when you notice unwanted side effects, like gaining weight you should be on the ball, call him up immediately and discontinue. Don't allow them to experiment on you.
    Also your doc is saying weight gain is ok??? What nonsense? He has to say that because you gained the weight on his medicine. And otherwise you will be on his case! Please be a little smart, a bit more suspicious and less trusting, ask more questions and don't let him play with your health like this.
    If you are overweight or obese there will be inflammation markers in your blood. Somehow I feel all will go down if you control the weight. But you have to be strict with yourself.
    For chronic issues like weight loss, diabetes, BP etc. I have found the community support groups are much more useful with people sharing info on what worked for them and how. Especially UK and Canadian doctors are much more oriented to whole body prevention type of strategies (since their healthcare is national they have a financial stake in reducing patient treatment costs) and their patients share many many useful non prescription remedies, and tips which US docs don't (or have no idea about). Our docs are mainly pill pushers as you yourself have noticed. (that's another issue in itself.) There are several such groups on Facebook. Try to join some applicable for your specific Rx or symptoms.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    gknew likes this.
  8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Gknew,
    The reason I'm so skeptical is from personal experience. Around 10-12 years back even I got neck pain. Luckily i told my manager who immediately ordered an ergonomic evaluation of my workspace. Turned out that the angle at which I was holding my head looking at comp was not good. The tech educated me on good posture and the need for exercises to relieve the strain periodically. (Even now if I spend too much time on the couch looking at my phone I get that pain but I know what to do now.) Sometime later I got shoulder pain. Doc did x ray, tried acupuncture, physio this that nothing worked long term. Turned out my old mattress and soft pillow were the culprits.
    Our posture, the condition of our muscles, how much support we are getting, how old is the couch, mattress or pillow, how good is the office chair, all this also matters.
    A few years later I used to get intermittent neck pain, in a different area and tender jaw. No clue why, no symptoms on X ray nothing. My doc prescribed some nerve medicine, but I could see she was not clear as to cause. Maybe it will work try it she kept saying. I didn't get a good vibe so I decided to get a second opinion. Coincidentally, around same time, I got a new dentist who told me that I probably grind my teeth at night (I had no clue! but he could tell from the state of my back teeth) and suggested a custom mouth guard. After a month of using the mouth guard my neck pain vanished (it was on only one side and apparently when I was very stressed I was gnashing that side in my sleep.)

Like you I too went to doc first, she only suggested X ray and medicines (which I did not take) and no mention of the simpler possibilities. Not even - it could be your teeth, go to your dentist. Hence I'm urging you to check the simpler reasons also for possible cause. They don't bother to tell you the simpler causes. There is no money in it for them, to tell you to do seated weights to improve your muscle conditioning, to walk or control your calories. They assume you don't need a board certified doc to tell you such a simple thing, maybe they expect you already tried all that, I don't know, or maybe expect u will figure that out on your own. There is a saying - guy holding a hammer sees every problem as a nail. They are so full of their training they stretch to use it on every patient.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    gknew likes this.
  9. Ragavisang

Ragavisang Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,
    Have you thought about alternative therapy like Qi gong ?.Sometimes it might help.

10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Sorry for the late response.
    I tested for ra factor and it was negative.
    My rheumatologist said mine is like fibromyalgia and Myofascial syndrome. She said it's just a guess diagnosis as there's no definite test for fibromyalgia.
    I have just started the research about anti inflammatory diet. Is it really helping you?

Do you have any auto immune conditions?