1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody working in Boston?

Discussion in 'Indians in Boston' started by krithika, Jan 23, 2007.

1. krithika

krithika New IL'ite

Hi,

I'm coming to Boston in a couple of weeks from now and will be in US for a year or so. I'm a software engineer in Bangalore. And most likely I have to quit my job. Can someone let me know the oppurtunites in Boston? I was told that I will get my EAD only after 3 months. Is there anything (some partime or some kind of work) that I can do till then?
    And even after getting EAD what all I should do to get a job out there? Should I get any documents (apart from the ceritficates) from India? Any sugesstions and tips from working women would be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Krithika

2. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I used to work in Boston long back.. Boston has many companies, so job opportunities are very good. Are u coming in Business visa? Im not sure based on what you can get EAD in 3 months..

Here companies look mainly for experience only, I dont think u need any certificates for the interviews.. If you are strong in technical skills & if u r able to explain urself clearly you wont have anything to worry abt interviews.

If you are coming through any consulting company, they will arrange interviews for you in Client companies.. You can also apply to various companies through job search websites itself.. If you are coming for the first time, understanding american accent in interviews would be little difficult for sometime.. You will get used it once you are here.

I cant think of any other details now.. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Goodluck!!

:wave

3. Riz1

Riz1 New IL'ite

hi

hi there are lots of financial companies, who might hire you but only with proper work permits, rules are really strict now for immigrants

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  4. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Hi Krithika,
    i currently work full time in a financial company in Boston and I can say that there are many job opportunities in Boston. And once u get ur EAD its very easy to get jobs too as many employers prefer persons for whom they neednt do any H1. Regarding ur first question doing some part time jobs in meantime, i think its not advisable and also very risky to do any jobs since u dont have any proper status to do one.
    Regarding ur second question, there are many entry level jobs which u can try for once u have ur EAD. Or else u can also find a job through a consultancy also.
    Hope this is hopeful to you.

-Priya

Removed Quotes. Do not have to quote if context for the reply is clear. Read forum etiquette here - www.indusladies.com/fe

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  5. rami_nk

rami_nk New IL'ite

Hi,

I am Rami and staying in Boston. I have got my EAD recently and looking for IT job opportunities. Have 7+ yrs of mainframe experience from reputed Indian company and also been to onsite for an year... looks the market is very dull and the consultancy path takes more time...

Also am pregnant and my due date is on aug end. Staying at home is very boring and depressing. Looking for some temp or work at home jobs. Guess with EAD i can look for any kind of jobs..

looking for inputs on kind of jobs and details...

Thanks,
    Rami

6. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rami,
    Welcome to IndusLadies!!
    Please introduce yourself at http://www.indusladies.com/forums/i...husetts-ladies-introduce-yourselves-here.html

Regards.

7. malininair

malininair New IL'ite

Hello Rami,

I happened to read your post while browsing thu forums.I am also in a similiar situation.I am a Mainframe developer (4 exp) by profession.Unable to find a job after 2 years break.Did you manage to get a mainframe job in boston area?Please share ur experience ..I am eager to know as i feeling stressed about what to do..go ahead with mainframe or switch to a new technology.

Thanks,
    Malini

8. ladycool

ladycool New IL'ite

Rami, we might be able to help you get job in IT.
    You can contact me thru private messages.

Thanks,
    Aarti Singh.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011