Anybody in non-profit? What causes do you work for?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Swaras, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Swaras

Swaras New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

I wanted to start this thread to hear from people working in the not-for-profit sector. Just wanted to find out what causes you work/ volunteer for and to learn from all your experiences. Maybe we can all try to answer these questions:
    -What is the cause that you work/ volunteer for?
    -How do you find the experience working for that cause?
    -Why did you decide to work for that particular cause? Was it purely by chance or for some other reason?

Let me begin. In my case, I used to work for an organization focused on the educational needs of underprivileged children. My experience was amazing - I absolutely loved every moment of my work and the satisfaction I derived was immense. Worked for about 2.5 years for that organization in India, until I got married last year. Now I'm in the US and currently volunteer few hours every week with a local non-profit focused on literacy. And hope to start my masters in social work this fall. Coming to why I chose this field - Don't really remember why but this is what I've always wanted to do since I was young :)

Please chip in with your experiences too. Look forward to your thoughts.

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Swaras,

nice to see this topic floating... I am sure we will all benefit from mutual information. I volunteered for a non profit around my area here in US for a few months... they mainly wanted me to do some kind os admin related jobs...it was a good experience for me as I too learnt a lot of things as I had no prior experience with such work... i leanr how to be more organized and planned... I had to quit it since we moved our house and that was little far...overall i was there just for 3 months

hope others chip in soon with their experiences

3. usr12

usr12 New IL'ite

This is a great thread..

I have not yet taken part in such any initaitive here.. But came across the following usa govt Service initiative site which I think would be helpful to ILs incase anyone is interested in finding out about volunteering opportunities near your location..This tool also helps to organize one incase someone is interested..PLs have look at the URL
    serve.gov