1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Any Wfh-with-visa Sponsor Options ?

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by MindVoice, Aug 17, 2016.

1. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Is anybody aware of any wfh/part-time job options where they will sponsor your visa?
    Any field, preferably in no-cap sectors..

Or is this an unrealistic search?

Please share if you know, it will be helpful for many..

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Part-time options do not exist in H1 visa. I am not sure about L1. The easiest way to get someone sponsor your visa is to work for free (volunteer) at a company for a while, prove your competence and get them to sponsor your visa. Even then it will be for full-time jobs at the company.

3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

@butterflyice @MindVoice being employed at a firm part-time on h1b is perfectly legal.
    Check this - https://www.quora.com/Can-a-part-time-job-be-my-H1B-sponsor
    You can also find more on this on murthy.com.

The catch is however, such jobs are rare and very hard to come by. Part-time + WFH may be more appropriate with NGOs looking for niche skills with not much office presence needed.

MindVoice likes this.
  4. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

@butterflyice @madras2018 Thank you for your replies..
    :(

NGOs is a good suggestion, but I assumed they would volunteers more than employees, considering the nature of their work..

5. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

You need to work full time at work location to show your competence,gain your employer's confidence to get wfh options.

MindVoice likes this.
  6. butterflyice

Thanks for correcting me. I was not aware of it.

OP, I checked with other immigration websites after Madras2018 alerted me to it. You can work part-time on H1B if an employer sponsors your visa. You cannot accept contractual employment though. You must be an employee not a contractee :)

You can try working at NGOs as they can sponsor your H1. The lottery for the regular H1 is long over for this year. Even if you they do not sponsor you right away, you can volunteer and prove your worth and have them sponsor your visa.

What kind of visa are you on? If you have H4 EAD, you can work part-time or full time or start a business.

MindVoice likes this.
  7. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

@MindVoice
    I think you're operating on a lot of assumptions and public opinion which are / maybe contrary to ground realities. There are several well-funded NGOs that offer decently paying part-time/full time jobs. These are often in the tech/ marketing / financial areas of their operations. One role for example, could be social media manager or expert. I have interviewed with some NGOs for such roles.

Secondly, this concept that one has to prove onself in a fulltime job until one qualifies for part-time is true only for jobs whose primary requirement is for full-time personnel. There are positions at some organizations, where due to budgetary constraints, full time positions cannot be supported. Also, in places like SF, telecommuting jobs are common due to distributed teams, limited office space or just liberal corporate policies.

Thirdly, positions with education institutions / research and non-profit organizations may be H1B exempt. Hence h1b lottery may not apply in such cases at all.

The only valid argument may be that such part-time H1 jobs also offering telecommuting, are not as plentiful as regular full-time day jobs - especially when they can find several qualified GC/US citizens for such jobs without the additional burden of h1b processing. One way to get around this may be that you volunteer your time for free, and then after establishing credibility you enquire about h1b hiring.

I agree with @butterflyice that H4 EAD may be your best bet to have the freedom to pursue a wide variety of jobs and work options.

I highly recommend that you do your own homework, either via a simple google search, or that you get on to some job boards doing a specific search for the kind of roles you are interested in. In the case of immigration queries please try murthy.com or immihelp forums where you can get accurate responses to your specific situation.

Your queries are a bit niche and I worry that with well-intentioned but half-baked /inaccurate responses on general forums such as IL you may end up arriving at faulty conclusions.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    MindVoice likes this.
  8. MindVoice

MindVoice Silver IL'ite

Thank you @JGVR, @butterflyice and @madras2018 !!
    My apologies for responding SOO late!! I just got to see these posts:smash2: Glad, though as this kind of revved my spirits..

Hmmmm that's some food for thought...

@madras2018 Wow. Thank you so much for your painstaking effort and guidance!:worship2: You have given me a lot of ideas.. thank you!
    Yes, I have been perusing murthy.com and immihelp; there is a lot of information to be sifted through to see if I could apply it to a "h4-wanting-part time LEGAL work-with no EAD-would love a visa sponsor" - I guess thats what you mean by a niche query? :)
    I wanted to check on IL as a starting point, to see if anyone has been-there-done-that...also thought it might be useful for others looking for the same...
    Research going on... fingers-crossed.

9. butterflyice

Are you looking for work in the Legal world? Do you mind sharing your educational/work background?