Any side effects after Epidural....

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by MOM 2 BE, Apr 17, 2009.

1. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Re: Epidural

Epdidural just numbs your muscles, so you don't feel the pain but just feel the pressure. Its in one way similar to local anesthesia.

I had taken epidural 5 1/2 yrs back when my little one was born, no issues faced after that. I indeed used to get backache even before my delivery. One thing I can think of is, epidural being ineffective which has happened in some cases.

As someone said, its better to talk to your doctor and work out your options.

-Uma

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

Re: Epidural

i had to break the curiosity bubble and today i asked my doc about epidural during my regular visit.
    she said it depends on the situation, if you labour is progressing at good pace its good you avoid epi.. if you have been feeling totally exhausted with a prolonged labor you may want to take it.
    it would cause a temporary tiny bruising but back pain is a part of pregnancy and childbirth and not necessarily epidural.
    so she asked me to wait for the D day and decide whether i can manage without one, if not the anesthesist will be ready

3. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Epidural & Back pain

Dear Ladies,

I delivered my boy baby on Nov 28th and since he is 33w he is kept in incubator.. I had vaginal delivery and I was given epidural..

Since I put that I couldnt stand for more than 15min.. If I get up and stand straight then soon my back is hurting me so badly.. I couldnt stand well for more time.. Any body exp ing this after epidural intake? Advice pls..

Also, vaginal stiching is done for me.. let me know if itching on that area is normal due to healing? feel odd if it itches and really scared if i would itch it unknowingly during my sleep.. suggestions pls..

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  4. Muskaan7

Muskaan7 Senior IL'ite

Re: Epidural & Back pain

Dear Anitha,

Congrats on your bundle of joy. I hope it all works out well for the both of you.

I did have an epidural as well but that was for the stitches as I had a third degree tear. I had slight back pain for about a week after that, but since then it was okay. I would suggest you try and take as much bed rest as possible, try not to do any heavy work. If it persists, do speak to your OB GYN, they are the best people to assess what is wrong.

Even I had stitches but mostly I felt the area numb and it did not itch. I would suggest that as you are going everyday to the hospital, speak about this to one of the doctors/nurses over there.

All the best!

5. AnithaPartha

Dear Muskaan,

My next visit with my doctor is only after 4w.. May be I can try calling nurse for suggestions... when i asked about itching she simply said - keep area clean thats it.. sides of vaginal walls itches me sometimes.. scared that i might not end up scratching during my sleeps

due to epidural i think i couldnt stand for >15min

6. Muskaan7

Muskaan7 Senior IL'ite

Anitha,

You do not have to wait for so long before you see your doctor. Just speak to any of the nurses/doctors there at the hospital next time you go to visit your baby. I am sure someone will help you. Yes, try and keep the area as clean as possible, use warm water and dry the area thoroughly. I dont know if the doctor told you anything, but my doctor advised me that after using warm water on the area, to dry it completely and use a hair dryer or stand over a small heater (just to put heat on the area) so that it gets dry completely. If you still get the itching, ask them to prescribe some cream to give you some relief.

Take care and all the best. I hope your baby comes home soon, I can only imagine what you and your hubby are going through.

7. ranjoose

ranjoose Bronze IL'ite

HI Anitha,
    Congratulations!!!!!
    I had an epidural while giving birth and yes I did have back pain for a few days even if I stand for 10 min. But I think it will get better. After 5 weeks, I am ok now. Do not bend many times and strain yourself. After lo is home, for night time feeds, ask dh or mom to get baby to you. You finish feeding and let dh burp him and put him to sleep. For 6 weeks, try getting as much rest as possible.

I did have little itching too after 2 weeks. As others have said, keep the area clean and change pads multiple times. Try sitting in a hot tub and use tucks pads. They really help.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  8. AnithaPartha

Thanks ladies..

Ranjoose - You are right.. I was also asked to pee then wash with warm water.. dry clean it.. or apply a dust powder(from hosp) and then wear panties.. I change pads often and use that tuck pads sometimes(not always but).. Only in night times my sides itch so badly.. let me see today and will try calling doc to see if i can get an appointment earlier... waitign for 4more weeks is too much for me i guess..

also one question ladies.. what pads are safe as of now?? am using hosp ones.. is 'always' brand good and safe?? pls let me know

9. ranjoose

ranjoose Bronze IL'ite

yes. always is safe. i used always.

10. AnithaPartha

Thank you Ranjoose..