Any side effects after Epidural....

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by MOM 2 BE, Apr 17, 2009.

1. nemo

nemo Senior IL'ite

Re: Epidural

Nowadays everyone is having backaches. Is there any other problem related to epidural during labor.

2. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Good topic !
    Even I have the same question. I feel that having Epidural ladies will face lot of problems after delivery I think. They may have low back ache or back pains I think which will be horrible mainly if you are a working women.

Can anybody tell if without epidural cant we bear pain during vaginal delivery? For sure that time we all will ask for injections but after that back pains will be horrible.

Hasini - There is no problem for baby with epidural but for us only it will cause bad issues later. My mom was injected and she has back ache for ever.

Suggestions please:bowdown

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  3. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

Epidural Anesthesia : American Pregnancy Association

try this link to know all about epidural anesthesia....

i had this severe headache ( its so severe that you cannot hold your head upright ) mentioned here , which occurs in less than 1 % of women , but was relieved in 3 days without intervention .

backaches are not a part of epidural anesthesia (if the technique was right)........ it varies from person to person .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I had an epidural when my son was born a year ago and dont have any related back pains. It was such sheer relief to have it after suffering for so long with an induced labor. The only scary part for me was the actual injection of the epidural in the back ... it's one hell of a long needle. you just need to sit really still so that the needle does not move around when in there.

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

of what i hv seen or heard epidural and back ache arent really related. it might be a temporary bruising but there arent too many long term effects.
    for working women back ache becomes a part of life much before [regnancy. it did atleast for me. but thenregular exercise fixed it to a great extent.
    i think there are other reasons why i probably will avoid it. it seems to slow down labour, n i will be confined to one place for constant monitoring.plus i wonder if i am numb down there will i be able to push as much?
    anyway i am meeting my doc in a wks time and she has promised to discuss the birth plan. so will ask for her opinion n see what she says

6. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Poonam,

let us know what your doctor says for birth plans.
    if possible ask about epidurals & side effects.
    between which hospital in CBe you are getting treated?

7. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,
    Please refer to this thread in "Labour & Delivery: forum which is on the epidural discussion!!!
    'Epidural - Yes or No?'
    Hope this will be useful to you all!

8. sushmail.30

sushmail.30 Senior IL'ite

Even I have the same question, but from what I have seen in many of my fnds, not all people get the bach ache, it is only in few cases. and if the Anesthetian is gud and experienced enuf we will not have that problem.

But people say, they suffered for a long time with pains and finally had to take epidural as they couldn't manage. so if you have to however take why to suffer with all the pains for so long.

be consistent in what you think, if you want epidural it is better to take while you are 5 or 6 cms dilated, coz it is then when pains intensifies and after 6 cms dilation, there is less chance that your labor stop progressing. if you take it early at 3 cms, there is a possibility that labor slows down and had to go for C-section.

if you are determined not to take Epidural then be like that till the end, just dont suffer intense pains till 8 cms dilation and then take epidural, whole of your effort is waste and unnecessarily you had to take pains.

In my case I think im not that capable of taking pains so planned to go for epidural. 99% of people around me have gone thru this and are safe.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  9. littlehearts

littlehearts Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    When I was pregnant I was in the same stage.... But if we don't have the option we might try to accept the labor pains... But after knowing that epidural releases the pain... At that moment we think its better to take it.

I asked my Doctor, he said every women after delivery to some extent gets the back pain.... that is not the reason for taking epidural....

If you think not to take epidural... try to do exercises like kegel and to some extent you will bear it... One more thing at the time of dilation its better if you take the medicine at 3 to 6 dilation because labor pains are at longer duration at this stage and after that it is at shorter duration and my doctor said from the time of taking the epidural one should be steady for at least 20 minutes and not to more at that time....

10. indigrl

indigrl New IL'ite

I had epidural with my son when he was born. I dont have any lasting issues due to that. Infact I found epidural much better than what they give you through IV.
    Doctors do not give you epidural until you are 7 dialated. Yes it slows down your labor but in my case it was not by much. As far as do you know when to push yes. You may not feel any pain but you still feel the pressure of the baby moving down the canal.
    I had a wonderful experiance with my son but talk to your doctor with all your questions before you make a decision.