Any konkanis in IL?

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by aksh01, May 16, 2008.

1. aksh01

aksh01 Junior IL'ite

Hi friends , are there any konkanis from bay area or any where , in this site....
    i wonder where are the amchigeles!!:confused:

Last edited: May 16, 2008

2. aksh01

aksh01 Junior IL'ite

Re: any konkanis!!!

hey i see nobody replying to this one!!! i see many others like tamilians, keralites and people from same place joining together

we being konkanis , should do that as well ...any konkani do join this thread and do tell about yourself .. never know, we might be knowing eachother!!!

am from bangalore came to california few months back with my husband... currently a homemaker ...there are many things i do to keep myself busy here... am a amchigeli and i love konkani food... and the teru jawan:)

3. Vidyasp

Vidyasp New IL'ite

Hey Akshata, there are many Konkanis live in Bay area. Only thing is you have tosearch for GSBs or SBs I think. I am .also not sure Iam coming to Bay area shortly. DOnot get any idea that you would get a young person to meet. I am coming to see my grand child and that means I am visiting my son's family who is in Fremont.Since you wrote that you are painting alot i just got interested in you.I am also interested in creative hobbies and have done a few tanjore and acrilic paintings. So I really ddo hope to meet you oneday . Good luck in the search of Amchies. LOL
    Vidya

4. leelagk

leelagk Gold IL'ite

hi aksh01, am a gsb living down here in cochin,kerala. just signed up today..:) me a homemaker too..i too love konkani food..sewing ,gardening n cooking r my hobbies.. nice to meet u here...

5. Ashwini007

Ashwini007 New IL'ite

Hello Amchigellis,

Nice to see some konkanis here. I am a konkana born and brought up in Chennai. My inlaws are from Cochin. Hope to see more konkanis here!

Love,
    AShwini

6. Cheryl

Cheryl New IL'ite

By Konkanis do you mean from Goa or Mangalore? I speak konkani and am half goan and half mangalorean. I too have not come across many konkanis esp in Singapore where I am living at the moment,
    its great that you have started this thread:)

7. 999rsp

999rsp Junior IL'ite

Hi Aksh, Ashwini, Vidya,

I am Roopa, a GSB from Mangalore, and now settled down in bangalore. Well i am a hard core amchigeli from the land of Shri Parashurama.

I work in a bank and my hubby is a Doc. Wee its disappointing to see so little amchee's in IL, unlike the Tamilian Lots found in Plenty.

Keep me updated,
    Love, Paroo.

8. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

hey! i too am not sure what aksh01 means by konkanis, and what is gsb and sb??????????? can anyone expand it please.i have my origin from goa too and partly from karwar which is in karnataka so i assume that i am a konkani too :confused2:

9. crafter101

crafter101 New IL'ite

I am a konkani speaking girl living in the bay area. GSB at that. There are plenty of konkanis here but hard to reach out to them unless someone takes the initiative.

Cheers,
    crafter101
    BTW, I love to do art and crafts and have done plenty of projects too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
  10. Neetz

Neetz New IL'ite

hello!

I am a GSB konkani from mangalore,my roots are in mulki.

born in Muscat,Oman,lived in several places in south india.my konkani is not fluent,its quite engl-ish!

actually,my pop is konkani,mom's a tulu brahmin...

seriously,I dont like it when brahmins of any kind,eat non-vegetarian food,just felt like sharing that thought!

I guess Gowda saraswat brahmin{GSB} and saraswat brahmin {SB} are the two main types of amchees found...we get the name since our ancestors lived by the river Saraswati,in kashmir...then we slowly started moving down south to Goa and then all over the konkan coast,lastly mangalore. am I wrong?no idea.

I love the hearty way other amchees talk...its a rather melodious language!

thnx,neetz.