Any idea about Amniocentesis test ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by indumathy_77, May 21, 2008.

1. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Re: Has any one gone through Nuchal translucency screening During 1st trimester..pls

This is a very normal scan and nothing to panick about. It is just done to check the ratio of chances you have to give birth to a down syndrome's baby.. Infact, every woman has some ratio. it could be 1: 100 to 1: 60,000 ! :)

So, dont worry too much.. SOmetimes insurance wont cover it so, the doctor leaves it to the parents to get the scan or not. It is very common in India too.

I would say, go for it, you get to see the LO moving his / her hands and body in the air ! It is such a wonderful thing ! :) Unless, you are over 35 and have a history of down syndrom baby or some close relative of yours is a down's syndrome carrier.. they will not push you to do it. You have nothing to worry about.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. Victoryman

Victoryman Senior IL'ite

Re: Has any one gone through Nuchal translucency screening During 1st trimester..pls

This is very normal scan....I had one in my 12th week...Generally a scan and blood test is done between 11 -13 th week....If they find it normal they leave it there...But if they find any problem then they will have one more test in the 4th month...In UK,its optional....But Iam not sure about US....

3. DiviGechu

DiviGechu New IL'ite

Hi Sangeetha,

Even I am in the same boat. 2 days before I had my second prenatal visit. I went for the first visit when I was 8 weeks. During the first visit itslef doctor told me to come in 13th week for NT scan. She told me what that was and she didnt give me an option. I was so shocked to hear about that in my first doctor consultation :spin.

But then since I didnt have an option I didnt think whether to take this test or not. Everything is normal in my scan. Blood results will take 1 week. So waiting for the result now. But I strongly feel my baby is fine :)

Dont worry and take tension. All the best. Everything will be normal for you.

And also to measure the thickness of my baby's neck, doc just pressed my tummy a little and you know what I saw my baby jumping. wow. That was so amazing. You will enjoy these things. Dont take tension

4. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

NT scan is just like a normal scan + blood test confirms for normal growth.there is nothing to worry abt that.Its safe & non invasive.

5. sweetsangeeta

sweetsangeeta New IL'ite

Thanks to all of you who shared your experience with me.

Even my insurance also covers this test , so I am proceeding with it:thumbsup.

Just have a feeling in my mind if the test comes positive , and what if I have to go through all invansive tests/ needle test in wich there is 1% of chance of abortion.:hide:

But I hoping for the best.

regards
    Sangeeta

6. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

Hi Sangeeta,
    Why are you getting worried unnecessarily. Even I underwent the scan and everything is fine. Don't get tensed up. Everything will be alright.
    Pray to god to keep the baby safe.
    Hansika

7. sweetsangeeta

sweetsangeeta New IL'ite

Thank you all , oh my god this forum is such a wonderful..
    I was tensed and confused about the test before I posted here, but now I am pretty much relaxed and happy infect and ready to experience the test.:rotfl

I thank you all from my heart, and really appreciate this forum and its mods,

great forum with wonderful ladies...

thanks
    regards
    sangeeta

8. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Questions about Down's syndrom test and Insurance info

Hi friends,

Went to ob-gyn yday and she has given me lot of booklets.
    One doubt i have is there are 2 tests which is optional and I need to decide and tell the hospital whether I need them or not.
    1) Down's syndrome test for baby = am 25 , so i believe risk is less. however dr asked me to read the booklet and decide whether i need it or not.

any advise on this ? should I take this test ?

2) Genetic diseases = to check if I turn positive for any genetic diseases and will i have a threat to pass it on to baby . I feel its not necessary , however would like you suggestions on this.

3) I have sent a message to my insurance provider informing my pregnancy. So whats next ? should I watch out for anything ?

9. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Re: Questions about Down's syndrom test and Insurance info

Hi Ranchu
    Nowadays down syndrome test is done for everyone regardless of age. I am also not 30 yet but my ob gyn said we will talk about it during the next appointment. From what I understand first they will do only screening test (blood test) and they will combine it with the readings of your first trimester ultrasounds . This way they will know if you are at risk . Only if you are at risk of having a baby with DS they will do the actual diagnostic test which is much more invasive.. So I think if it is only a blood test then you can safely go for it ...if anything else like they insert needle into the uterus to draw the amniotic fluid etc then you might want to think about it..

I dont think you need to do anything specific about your insurance ..But I am not sure if the procedure is different for all providers. For me , even before I could inform them they came to know from my ob gyn records I guess so I got a call from them offering free benefits etc..

10. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Questions about Down's syndrom test and Insurance info

PinksandBlues,

Thanks for the info.