1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety With Having To Move

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SuiDhaaga, May 6, 2020.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

i have anxiety with having to move.

Right now I live in a decent place with decent govt job. It's not home sweet home but something familiar.

Circumstances such as health (and other things I cannot mention) have compelled me to look elsewhere.

First day I realized I must look I had flashbacks of my life, thinking, what if this situation happened different, or what if I made different decision that would have changed the course of my life.

Even now I am pensive because I am stepping into the unknown. I drank a second cup of coffee to ease my chest pain - which is why I cannot sleep.

I live in diverse place and I hope to find place that embraces diversity. You have no idea how many racists I encountered early in my career when I worked in another state! And I am concerned about unwanted attention by creepy males (mostly white) who think they can walk all over you because you are woman of color (HR is not your friend and they may retaliate). At least back then I had family support - now it is as if they are not there.

How to deal with this anxiety. I don't want it to cloud my judgement in finding a new place to live.

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,
    I did not quite understand your post. You are not in India I assume but you are in decent govt job, but you are now switching jobs. Are you going into private jobs?
    What are your fears? change location/home and job both.
    Anxiety before new job is normal, especially if you spent long time in a job.
    About job envrionment, its hard to predict without getting into the job or having internal person telling us about culture and lot depends on team/co workers.
    Bad collegues, racists ( in all forms) are everywhere. I have seen less racism from white/americans, they are more professional but more from Indians or other country immigrants. As you age and experience, your tolerance increases and you learn to ignore. If it is beyond tolerance, then go to HR. I have had co workers ( desi) commenting at about everything i wore or not wore or talk. That made me frustated and switch job and landed into worst job, which was oppurtunity of life time for me.

Just giving you my experience. Not trying to scare you or asking to stay quiet etc. Do not misjudge my reply.
    Best wishes for new job. Worry is normal. Just thank you stars you got new job in this covid situation.

anika987 and SuiDhaaga like this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

I am in USA in decent give job but I need to move due to many reason.

Once I factor in several things about the place, (i.e. Need for Warmth and humidity, natural disasters, safety), then I will look for another job, preferably government.

My fears are about being vulnerable in a new situation. I am doing research beforehand but there is only so much one can do.

I am poor at human interactions, hence I take to hobbies, which I am replacing with continuing education. And I try to meditate at least two hours a day within my three hours of physical therapy.

I am unable to pick up in non-verbal human queues, which has gotten me into bad situations in the past.

Now that I am familiar and comfortable in my situation, circumstances are compelling me to move, get out of my comfort zone and be exposed to new people who's intentions I may or may not judge.

Wow, desis comments made you so uncomfortable? That reminds me, when I wore Indian clothes to work during the summer, non-desis complimented, but two rude desis asked why I am wearing Indian clothes.

I didn't give proper reply to the first desi because I did not realize his intentions. When the second desi asked, I realized her unfavorable intentions and I replied to the effect, "well I have desireable female body shape!"

Your worst job became your best opportunity? Wow. I guess God (or the Universe, whatever you believe in) works in mysterious ways.

I just need to take a deep breath and plan step-by-step. I didn't want to tell anyone my fears because they will say I am being childish. Especially at my age!

Ok, will take a deep breath and put one foot in front of the other.

anika987 likes this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi dear..if u don’t mind can you give us a just about yourself coz we have read your posts but we don’t know anything else about you but what are your fears,anxiety and do you live with anyone else, your family as they with you,any friends etc,the health issues etc..Just vaguely to get a clearer idea.

Just to give us an idea before giving advices but again it is totally your choice to let us know.

I apologize if I went out of line.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

Totally understandable question, will answer my best.

I live with family who gives advice and support but they are in their Golden years. It is my privilege to help them. I feel sense of pride when I can help. I am fortunate for their help, especially during COVID.

No friends in life, plus scary short arranged marriage (plz don't ask for more details). I learned to enrich myself with meditation and exercise.

And I love wearing pretty American and Desi dresses. I took up hobby of sewing. Now I wish to learn Data Science in spare time.

anika987 likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

That’s nice to Know you are spending timely well.Good to know a bit about you.Meditation and exercise are best keeping us relaxed and grounded

7. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Op,
    Does the moving will help you become a happier person? If you are moving to a place you have never been before, visit the place and live there for may be a week or so or at least 3 days get the feeling. Try to visit the neighborhood where you might pick a residence and picture yourself being
    there.
    Having no friends is not good for long term. even if they live far away, try to maintain a healthy conversational relationship and occasional visit.
    When non-desis comment, especially Americans, they do it out of curiosity. Desis not so much, it might come out as rude. So I wouldn't care for both. If you want to do what please you, pay no attention to what others say.
    Yes.There is only so much research you can do about life. No one can plan a fool proof life. Life is not fun that way.
    What are your examples of vulnerability? What do you specifically fear?

No amount of education and hobbies can replace lack of socialization. When you have a partner in the future, at the least, there is socialization there. You will meet more people in the new place and you will have to interact.

Not everyone is good at picking up non verbal cues, that is why we use conversations. Since you know your problem you are half way there. Instead of assuming something, ask and clarify. It is not a crime!!
    I still struggle with this with my DH of 10 years, we use words to communicate rather than complaining "you dint understand what I meant". You learn it by experience, it doesn't happen overnight. So I think you are fine there.
    Before you make the final decision to move, think everything through. Many places are on a hiring freeze now, which should give you enough time to do research and think about the future there.

Even if HR is not helpful, have everything documented if you experience racism.

sindmani and SuiDhaaga like this.
  8. SuiDhaaga

Angela, several circumstances (including my health) have compelled me to find a place to move. I'm not happy about it because I am used to familiar settings. Not perfect, but familiar.

I try to maintain healthy conversation with some relatives. They themselves are busy during COVID.

People see single female who is dazed by unfamiliar place - this is being most vulnerable. People can be creeps.

I will attempt to visit place several times before moving in.

9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Well, it is strange for indian people to wear indian clothes outside India work places so it is normal people ask and sometimes they ask, thinknig there might be some occasion or auspicious day like diwali etc. I do not think they always mean bad. In my office, sometimes women wear, we just appreciate and move on, mainly because normally i am too busy in office.
    Also I have s
    Correction here. My best job oppurtunity as I had thought, turned out to be my worst job :-(. Gave me lot of stress for many more years. I kept thinking, only if i had tolerated those people for some time or shown some patience o came out straight.

I just need to take a deep breath and plan step-by-step. I didn't want to tell anyone my fears because they will say I am being childish. Especially at my age!

Ok, will take a deep breath and put one foot in front of the other.[/QUOTE]
    Not judging you, but many words and your fear is coming from your bad marriage/experience it seems. You are scared because you suffered and then you have that complex that people think this that.
    You will have to come out of it.
    BTW, I am no better person and in many ways like you, live in my own shell of low confidence or fear of people or their comments.
    When non-desi comments on our dress, we take it as compliment. Usually they start as compliment, we do not know intentions. Say thanks and move on.
    When desi comments, it may not be rude but we might feel it as rude. We are in diverse culture and indians from all parts come and work in a company, so many times, we ask because in our mind we think, if there is some occasion - like diwali or bday or some day that I missed. It is not bad intention and it is also out of curiousity. It is our own complex that we think they have bad intentions because they are desi's. If it is quick short comment, just take the appreciation and move on. Do not hang on to their comments unless they go further than that.
    Unless there are men and try to make fun.. In my case, I knew their intentions, as they were close friends too.
    I also have bad past but in a different way and have lived through complexes, complexes enhanced by husbands later... Now at this moment, i think, I needed to be strong.

About new location/Job, what i would say you need to be around people you love and who support you since you are in delicate stage and also COVID. so new job or city can work both ways.
    IT can be beginning of new life full of positivity too.
    About new job, you never know what is coming unless you are in. I do not know what sector/field you are in. One of my friends got into a great company with great resume and referral with all the internal knowledge. Quit in 3 months, stepped on wrong foot of senior. So If you are settled in that job, stay for some time, unless absolute necessary ( like you said health).

Also try to find a friend to talk to , walk or gym together. Or may be bring a pet home.

You know I heard doctors/peds in US advise pets as it helps kids development. Taking care of someone and having a buddy. We all need that kind of therapy.

SuiDhaaga and abcd5 like this.
  10. SuiDhaaga

Not judging you, but many words and your fear is coming from your bad marriage/experience it seems. You are scared because you suffered and then you have that complex that people think this that.
    You will have to come out of it.
    BTW, I am no better person and in many ways like you, live in my own shell of low confidence or fear of people or their comments.
    When non-desi comments on our dress, we take it as compliment. Usually they start as compliment, we do not know intentions. Say thanks and move on.
    When desi comments, it may not be rude but we might feel it as rude. We are in diverse culture and indians from all parts come and work in a company, so many times, we ask because in our mind we think, if there is some occasion - like diwali or bday or some day that I missed. It is not bad intention and it is also out of curiousity. It is our own complex that we think they have bad intentions because they are desi's. If it is quick short comment, just take the appreciation and move on. Do not hang on to their comments unless they go further than that.
    Unless there are men and try to make fun.. In my case, I knew their intentions, as they were close friends too.
    I also have bad past but in a different way and have lived through complexes, complexes enhanced by husbands later... Now at this moment, i think, I needed to be strong.

About new location/Job, what i would say you need to be around people you love and who support you since you are in delicate stage and also COVID. so new job or city can work both ways.
    IT can be beginning of new life full of positivity too.
    About new job, you never know what is coming unless you are in. I do not know what sector/field you are in. One of my friends got into a great company with great resume and referral with all the internal knowledge. Quit in 3 months, stepped on wrong foot of senior. So If you are settled in that job, stay for some time, unless absolute necessary ( like you said health).

Also try to find a friend to talk to , walk or gym together. Or may be bring a pet home.

You know I heard doctors/peds in US advise pets as it helps kids development. Taking care of someone and having a buddy. We all need that kind of therapy.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear, I'm sorry about your dream job turning into a nightmare. I hope you are in a better place now.

My fear stems from my bad marriage, plus bad experiences from my first job (which is a similar environment I will likely return to).

I am in IT. I'm trying to keep positive outlook that perhaps God is answering my prayers for Health and Happy Marriage to a nice boy.

I want my family to be around me and visit often - their love and warmth makes all the difference.

I wish I knew how to make friends .... that is my issue. At this job I am unable to make friends. Last time I tried, she turned out to be a backstabber (she does this to everyone).

I'd love to have a pet - unsure if I have time to take care of it - all that poop!