1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Annoying Aunties, Has This Happened With You Also?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by fourthaugust, Dec 18, 2017.

1. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

So before telling you my problem let me give you a little background. I have two kids , elder one is five and younger one is fourteen months old. I am currently breastfeeding younger one. My height is 5'6" and weight is about 55kg.
    Now coming to my problem, there are couple of aunties who have no work at their homes and keep on gossiping throughout the day. Everytime I come out, they are the ones who I face and who I need to greet . Every single time I meet them, the first comment that comes out of their mouth is that how thin you are. You should take care of your health . Sometimes they say awww ..you poor thing..aren't you keeping well etc. This happens every single time.
    Now let me tell you that irrespective of my weight I feel very healthy and happy with my overall well being. But these constant comments irritate me to the core.
    These aunties are not at all my well wisher and everytime my mil comes to my place, she meets with them and they all bad mouth about their respective dil's. So I know its not their sympathy. I have no idea how to deal with them.i know I should ignore but this has been going on for far too long. For months actually. I am so fed up. Help girls.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Is your problem about their complaints on your appearance or that your mil joins them when she's here ?

What is the outcome that you are expecting ?

For them to " stop talking about you " ?

- That's a tough one. You maybe just one among a million topic that they talk about for now. If you give them any wrong reaction, u may raise up to the top 100 favourite topics.

- also remember they will talk about you no matter your size, color, appearance or even your dressing style. You are too thin or too fat, you are too modern or too traditional, you did this wrong or that wrong, there is really no win here. If you change one thing for them, they will just find another one.

Or Do you want them to "stop talking about you to you"?

For this, Either you can
    -show them faces
    -don't reply
    - or say something like you 'old' people have so much free time to worry about everyone else n wish you could have some free time too.

- or a lil strategy, to the first Aunty that complains,
    "oh Aunty, you look like you have put on some weight, maybe you should get it checked with the Doctor?"
    Or
    "have you lost your color? I think there is some dark pigmentation on your face"

- for most women, regardless of how old, their age n appearance can make them feel insecure, you can play it back on them with a concerned face. Say it esp to the aunties that starts it, later no one will start it. <evil laugh>

Do you want "Your mil to stop joining them" ?

it's normal for your mil to look for company in her age.

- you may need to cause a rift between them as "they all complain about their dil's" is not a big enough excuse to cut ties.

- Evil plan "they talk bad about you behind your back. They tease about this n that about you" , maybe play on her weak spot n that can work.

But talking abt dil's is a common topic for their age just like how talking about mil maybe for ours. So are we all evil women to complain about our mil's ? Employees complains about their boss, or students about teachers, kids about parents, neighbours about neighbours, etc, all vice versa too, it's just human nature N a type of vent.

3. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

I met an uncle who when meet me in lift ask me same question about my job. Once I said rudely I told you many times why you always ask the same question and stopped greeting him. After that he said this to my father. My father knew how he is so no issues made.

September2015 and fourthaugust like this.
  4. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

@ashneys
    Very true indeed...thanks for the detail analysis here....with two very naughty kids their comments are the last thing that I want to take..sometimes I even wonder about my appearance and feel bad. So vented here...more analysis is always welcomed

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  5. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Cant be rude with them...have to lve with them and as @ashneys suggested, it will give them 100morw topics to talk about

6. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

You can reply them saying you like the way you are..feeling very active and healthy...You can actually give them some of your daily food plan,healthy things that you do and suggest them to try it out. You can add few points like 'even some of my friends say so,but i just ignore them'. Talk to them kindly and confidently about yourself. Awww..these aunties..their concern make others annoyed.. All the best to handle them..

fourthaugust likes this.
  7. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Yes I can understand. My incident was of before marriage. You can either start a topic about someone else and can enjoy if you can tolerate the gossip and have spare time for that. Just a suggestion.

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Girl, if someone is stressing you out, give them back the exact same stress. That more often than not works.
    They are commenting on your looks? Pass a comment right back at them. They say you are thin? next time you see them, even before they open their mouths, ask them what they do to stay in their weight range. If they are over-weight, its your bonus! lol

sindmani, lazy, shri0218 and 2 others like this.
  9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I feel you yourself are feeling insecure about something and may be baby blues and stress of taking care of 2 kids is taking you. I think you should enjoy these little things and that aunties are looking/concerned about you.
    Like me in US, no one ever looked at me, how thin/fat I have become and I never comb my hair after baby and I need to look in mirror, eat good food and do some shopping for myself instead of wear maternity pants everywhere. Specially after baby, women need some women company to talk their pains. Good that you have that and can take advantage of that. I was crying all this time and calling parents and still do and have no single soul to share.
    Do not mind small things. Some asking to gain wait is atleast good. Atleast it is not opposite.
    I go to India, I tell same stuff to all my thin relatives, like women said to you.

When people gather, they talk. Then talking about DILs? What are we doing here at IL forums. We come and talk about ILs anonymously. If we have really close friends, we share similar stuff with them. We talk about usual small or big problems.

Not far, I talk to my mom about my H or my MIL always. My Mother talks about her new DIL (my SIL, my brothers wife). My SIL (same brothers wife) tells me she does not talking like women But she does not know she does that too. She talks to me about everyone (but not MIL/FIL my parents she cann't, right?) so those talks she does with her friends/family.
    We all have healthy relationships and no fighting happens. May be talking helped.

It is part of relationships. Do not take it to heart. We need to vent out, and talking helps. Enjoy the life of India and company of neighbourhood.
    I tell you, I go to India and I love that part of it. Talking over tea or corners of street next to doors, women gather, relieve themseves by talking.

peartree, Rampuri9 and MonikaSG like this.
  10. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

I mentioned about my mil's gossiping with them just to give you the idea that these aunties are no way my wellwishers. I don't have any complains regarding my mil as I don't expect anything more from her. Even she knows that I know .
    Yes i am feeling insecured hence posted here. I am too much bothered. When the same thing is told to you everyday at least twice its hard not to get affected. Hence I am venting out my frustration here.