1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anger management: 10 tips to control your temper

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by freddycat, Aug 7, 2012.

1. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

Anger management: 10 tips to control your temper

Do you find yourself fuming when someone cuts you off in traffic? Does your blood pressure go through the roof when your child refuses to cooperate? Anger is a normal and even healthy emotion — but it's important to deal with it in a positive way. Uncontrolled anger can take a toll on both your health and your relationships.

Ready to get your anger under control? Start by considering these 10 anger management tips.

No. 1: Take a timeout

Counting to 10 isn't just for kids. Before reacting to a tense situation, take a few moments to breathe deeply and count to 10. Slowing down can help defuse your temper. If necessary, take a break from the person or situation until your frustration subsides a bit.

No. 2: Once you're calm, express your anger

As soon as you're thinking clearly, express your frustration in an assertive but non-confrontational way. State your concerns and needs clearly and directly, without hurting others or trying to control them.

No. 3: Get some exercise

Physical activity can provide an outlet for your emotions, especially if you're about to erupt. If you feel your anger escalating, go for a brisk walk or run, or spend some time doing other favourite physical activities. Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that can leave you feeling happier and more relaxed than you were before you worked out.

No. 4: Think before you speak

In the heat of the moment, it's easy to say something you'll later regret. Take a few moments to collect your thoughts before saying anything — and allow others involved in the situation to do the same.

No. 5: Identify possible solutions

Instead of focusing on what made you mad, work on resolving the issue at hand. Does your child's messy room drive you crazy? Close the door. Is your partner late for dinner every night? Schedule meals later in the evening — or agree to eat on your own a few times a week. Remind yourself that anger won't fix anything, and might only make it worse.

No. 6: Stick with 'I' statements

To avoid criticizing or placing blame — which might only increase tension — use "I" statements to describe the problem. Be respectful and specific. For example, say, "I'm upset that you left the table without offering to help with the dishes," instead of, "You never do any housework."

No. 7: Don't hold a grudge

Forgiveness is a powerful tool. If you allow anger and other negative feelings to crowd out positive feelings, you might find yourself swallowed up by your own bitterness or sense of injustice. But if you can forgive someone who angered you, you might both learn from the situation. It's unrealistic to expect everyone to behave exactly as you want at all times.

No. 8: Use humour to release tension

Lightening up can help diffuse tension. Don't use sarcasm, though — it can hurt feelings and make things worse.

No. 9: Practice relaxation skills

When your temper flares, put relaxation skills to work. Practice deep-breathing exercises, imagine a relaxing scene, or repeat a calming word or phrase, such as, "Take it easy." You might also listen to music, write in a journal or do a few yoga poses — whatever it takes to encourage relaxation.

No. 10: Know when to seek help

Learning to control anger is a challenge for everyone at times. Consider seeking help for anger issues if your anger seems out of control, causes you to do things you regret or hurts those around you. You might explore local anger management classes or anger management counselling. With professional help, you can:

Learn what anger is
    Identify what triggers your anger
    Recognize signs that you're becoming angry
    Learn to respond to frustration and anger in a controlled, healthy way
    Explore underlying feelings, such as sadness or depression

Anger management classes and counselling can be done individually, with your partner or other family members, or in a group. Request a referral from your doctor to a counsellor specializing in anger management, or ask family members, friends or other contacts for recommendations. Your health insurer, employee assistance program (EAP), clergy, or state or local agencies also might offer recommendations.

mayoclinic.com/health/anger-management

12 people like this.

2. Flyingsparks

Flyingsparks Silver IL'ite

I so badly need this..ofcourse if i had known these pointers 2 months ago my life would have been in a better phase...phew...things went out of control in such a wat that the damage i caused to myself,my life is not retrievable.....

Anyways thanks Freddycat for your valuable tips..i'll definitely implement them in my life..

1 person likes this.
  3. sowmyaraman81

sowmyaraman81 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Freddycat:) for your useful tips:)....

1 person likes this.
  4. priya4prabhu

priya4prabhu Silver IL'ite

Really in need of them.. thanks for sharing

1 person likes this.
  5. ShwetaSri

ShwetaSri Bronze IL'ite

Nice post. I like point #6 very much. I'll try to practice it.

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Tip #3 : I have personally found this method very effective. If I could not walk/run till I tired myself out, I would take a cabbage or any vegetable that needed find chopping, tell myself this was the head of the person who was making my life miserable and chop with a nice big knife till I had vent my fury completely on it. At the end of it, I would do my cooking for the week (this was during the hostel days when I did not have time for daily cooking) and at the end of it I would be so exhausted, I would sometimes just snatch a few morsels if any, put the food into the frig and go off to sleep. That was a case of killing two birds with one stone - anger vented, cooking for a few days done. :-D

But a Reiki practitioner told me it was not a good idea to vent negative emotions on a veg and then feed it to my own tum. She believed it would be feeding negative emotions to myself and hurt myself. But I did not personally experience any problems due to my method. May be I absorbed the good nutrients and threw out the rest. :-D

5 people like this.
  7. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Really very informative thread....

I like #5 and #6...instead of suffering with problem...look for workaround solutions to get out of the situation...

1 person likes this.
  8. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

so nicely put freddycat. Seriously the first and the third is what i mostly follow.

The first counting part, i dont do.
    Instead these days, my one year old son, (i still cant understnad how he knows i am so terribly upset and lonely) gets up from whatever he is doing, be it watching computer or running around, always at this very very crucial time - where i would have yelled or said horrible things to my husband - comes onto my lap, takes my face between his tiny palms and looks deep into my eyes. I know then that i should not argue to make my ego win. just need to calm myself enough to look into the problem. So when i am answering back, i try to make it polite as my son still keeps a palm onto my face to soothe me (i guess!)

I just silently get up and practice tip 3 then - go to cook with a vengence and show my anger on those poor little veggies

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

WOW!!!! Very useful tips.... Thanks for sharing

Shanti

1 person likes this.
  10. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Great!!! I think it is #4 that I need the most when I am angry I really get into verbal diarrhea mode and at times it can get down right ugly. However, the issue I have is that I am good controlling my anger when it comes to strangers or people I don't care for. Unfortunately, if people close to me or people I am comfortable with upset me then I fly off the handle and sometimes end up causing them hurt. Trying to work this, but if I am upset with someone close to me I have to tell them how I feel or it keeps eating me and it does not help that I am not good with hiding my emotions.

2 people like this.