1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

and then they didnt have an answer..do you?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sathya, Oct 19, 2007.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sathya,

Super thread ma, Interesting thread.:spinI enjoyed your post. Regarding the gujju function, I searched in the net. but no use. atlast I got an idea:idea: I asked Ketal out IL member, and she has giventhe answer. Here is her message.

yes mam right think
    this festival coming to gujarati month shravan(in August)
    this festival call to shitra shatam.

ketal

So we have to plan our trip to gujarat. hahahhhaha be ready by July itslef.:thumbsup

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes Krishnaamma
    We all should plan a trip to gujarat. :-D

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes Latha you are right that is the greatest problem cannot eat cold food.:-( Not use too.

4. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello latha

thanks to you we are talking about gujju day....and here you are telling us you had a gujju day at home but no gujju day for co-sis...lucky ya to have co sis waiting with lots and lots of eats....mmm...sigh...!
    \
    sathya

5. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello akka

athane...we shall place all the atukkal and ammi anyway we dont use it...!and the lord sure will be confused...you think they kept it to remind me...im made of stone?...or do you think they want me to cook as it their gujju day?
    haha his plight poor poor rich fellow...

sathya

6. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello vib

hey whatcha talking about all those yummy foods on gujju day ya?....mouth watering...masala puri and vada...and made from millet flour...my husband keeps telling we have to switch over to coarse grains...we are already half way through....!perhaps we can have some gujju recepies from your end....

sathya

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello aruna

making tea next door...and thats gujju?...oh no...ya but no cold tea...or anything cold...dont worry we can all go over to that cute co-sis of latha to bash that gujju...and take our tps to connect...!

sathya

8. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello krishna

so nice of you to net for gujju...dont worry none of us want to go gujju as far as IL is concerned. we are just talking about how we can eat next door...keep the door open here comes the gang...july or august?...thats too far away why not sometime in nov..dec...or just one day everymonth...?

haha
    sathya

9. kswati

kswati New IL'ite

Hi LAtha!!

It's not "other days no cleaning, may be once a year ", if you see Gujarati kitchens they are spic and span clean with even the littleset of knige and spoon sparkling shining. Its just that you respect the Annapoorna devi and the lady of the house and give her rest for one day. In some places it is called shitala saptami, when the food cooked one day prior is eaten, just to know the taste of stale food and emphasise eating fresh food without wasting.
    Also there is one day called rishi panchami when only fruits or uncooked vegetables raw materials are eaten. Again to empahasise various things of eating raw fruits and vegetables, give rest to kitchen and kitchen queen, idea to go on a no oil no fat food etc.
    I think there may be such customs in every part of India, its only that we have left those far back , few follow it, few just know it and few do not know it.

10. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Sathya, Very interesting. Gujjus day is very good. Yes we too need some break. But here in Kuwait most of the ladies close the kitchen on thursday evening. All will be out and all the Indian restaurants in Kuwait will be full on Thursday evenings. Either they eat out or bring the food home. I think chennai is also becoming like that. The hotel industry is flourishing in chennai and the hotels are all full on saturdays and sundays.

It is good to skip food and feed on fruits atleast once in a fortnight. That is why our people had many fasting days like Ekadesi, Sivarathri etc. But our folks have forgotten all that. If the whole family cooperates we can also observe all fruit day and gujju day etc. in our homes too.