1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

And The Dance Continues....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear PS Ma'm,

Thank you for your warm feedback!
    This exactly is how I feel about my grandmother. Trying to be insignificant, allowing life to play it's role, she has left a lasing impression on me! How nice no?

Nice to see you back here, not that I am that regular now a days but when I write and hear from people I have known forever (or so it feels!), it is always nice. Thank you for that.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A great post indeed!How our grand children miss so much in life, they living abroad, and we living here! My grandmother was affectionately known as 'oor amma' ( mother to everyone in the village)She was an expert in handling deliveries.In early 20th century, when there were no medical centres,my grandma was the saviour.Her presence gave lot of mental strength to the young girls in labour.Her services were available even during midnight.She was an expert in planning weddings, doing seer bhakshanams ,preparing country medicines, composing songs. She composed elegy about herself ,tuned to beautiful ragas and trained her grandchildren and neighbouring children .It was a thorough rehearsal .When she passed away after 6 months some 40 children sang those songs repeatedly and it was really a moving sight.Every one was choked with emotions.
    Whenever we do things with perfection ,or cook delicious food ,all the relatives said 'just like grandma

Thanks Rama for kindling memories of grandma.

jayasala 42

Srama likes this.
  3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Congrats for the nomination. I wanted to when I read but was lazy to take out the laptop. With your post you bought sweet memories of their grandmother. Our grandmother's were hard working and taught us so many things. When they left they made us feel her absence and not a day goes without thinking of them

My grandmother also was a great person. Since my mother was very simple ,her mother,ie my grandmother brought us all. She has as strict in some cases and I was very good in getting my work done. She was expert in cooking and making kai murukku.

For my sister's marriage she cleaned the rice required for her marriage and also bought steel vessels for her by giving old clothes. She never knew Hindi or Telugu but she used to get her work done by talking in Tamil. When we were in Hyderabad she used to go alone to places where she was called for making murukku. Whatever we wish she used to fulfill .My brother was very fond if sevai and most if the time she used to make with hand machine

For my sister's delivery me and she went to Delhi and if I am late in going to the hospital she used to go. She was very independent. She had cancer and did not want to trouble my sister do came alone in train to Mumbai though my brother in law was ready to go with her.

Glad that in her last days I could look.after her . She told me for your sister I could do everything.she even made 101 kozhakattai every Friday for 10 friday my sister's marriage. She told me I won't be there for your marriage but my.blessings to get a good husband.With her blessings I got atemof a person that too from her place

Srama likes this.
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I can hear the sutra “Sthira Sukham Asanam” in the calm voices of my patient grandparents as they tried to teach yoga to a very fidgety grandchild.

Me, too. Often, like now, thanks to you.

We can only hope. :)

Beautiful snippet, @Srama!

Srama and jskls like this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Srama,

You have brought out this Yogic concept beautifully with images from life around. This again relates to your favourite ‘Mindfulness’ concept! You are in a beautiful space to pause and take note of these wonderful things which most people don’t even notice in their hurried and harried life!

In your old post, What's Your Love Language?, I had left the following comment:

Dear @Srama,
    They say 'Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder'! You have wonderfully described a 'Blissful state'. A question that comes to mind is, was the Bliss outside in the surroundings or was it in your heart and mind? Om Shanti![​IMG]

Sri G S Shivarudrappa’s poetry (with English translation) suits this moment perfectly.

Undoubtedly, Bliss is in one’s own heart and mind! You are blessed to be Blissful!

Srama and jskls like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear JS Ma'm,

Always such a pleasure to hear from you! I understand...our children (your grandchildren) may not have the same interaction we had growing up. You now what, the thought that came to my mind was "How incredible that even grandmothers think of their own grandmothers!" That's why that ancestry quote makes so much sense to me!

Thank you for sharing stories of your grand mom.

7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha

What a beautiful snippet and after reading many many snippet of yours finally I got the hang of your writing. Sukham Sthiram Aasanam ... doesn't everything that oscillates finally attains the equilibrium. I love dance and never missed an invite to any dance performance so far. Loved the way you had described how beautiful the girl continued to dance as the tune was playing in her head inspite of the disturbance . How nicely you had remembered your grandmother. And the little girls dancing and finally ending with how the dancing continues in our lives.

I had always admired mine very much. She lived upto 84 and I had never heard her complain of any aches and pains even in that age. For 40 years of her later life she ate a single meal. How I wish I could develop that control. She struggled as a single parent but still was supportive to others. Being the only grand daughter I enjoyed the privilege of her affection more than any other grandchild in the family. I don't have to remember her much as I carry lot of her genetic imprint and also she left this world on my special day.

Your title is very catchy.

GeetaKashyap and Srama like this.
  8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thank you dear Viji aunty for your sweet message about your grandmother. Happy that her blessings came true. My grandmother had quickly adapted to using ipad and recording her singing. It was so much fun watching her play with it, especially when sh would make us play it back to her to hear and see herself sing :)

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Amica,

So so nice to see you here in my snippet. You are indeed fortunate to get that lesson of yoga from your grandparents! I am glad my post reminded you of them. Thank you for your warm feedback.

Amica likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @GeetaKashyap !! What can I say? That Shivarudrappa's poetry. Much to the chagrin of a few friends of mine, I have always maintained that I am grateful for this opportunity to enjoy and be grateful for this life. Only in the reen past have I stopped telling that after getting some looks. I have a good friend who often jokes that he no only wants another birth but also wants to be born as a football player! That poet that Shivarudrappa speaks of resonates so well with me! and that was a beautiful rendition.

Yes, I do remember your response from my other post. Thank you for remembering and sharing again - I wish I could live in that state all the time but alas I do have my ups and downs but then a bird, a rain, a sunrise...is all that I need to pick myself up and move on!

Thank you for such a warm and lovely feedback Geeta. I have to meet you next time I am in town :) Will listen to that rendition a lot.

GeetaKashyap likes this.