An in-flight experiance in India

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by leelal, Dec 11, 2007.

1. leelal

leelal Bronze IL'ite

Hai Ladies,

Am sharing you one of my in-flight experiance.

Myself and our company General manager were returning from hyderabad.
    We were totally occupied the whole day in a discussion with our client and exhausted for the day. As we had scheduled another important meeting in chennai next day, we had to return anycost.So our dept secretary booked us in Air Deccan flight leaving at 7.30 p.m.

After check-in at the hyderabad airport by hurriedly traversing through the traffic along IT parks, we got to know that the flight is delayed by an hour. This is the usual scene in all airports for most of the low-cost flights due to air traffic congestion and operational issues. However we boarded the flight at 9.00 p.m. Captain announced the flight duration as 50 mins. and we would be landing Chennai by 9.50 pm.

We 2 got our seats in the third row. Opposite to our seats, in the 3 seater row, an old lady aged 70+ was seated in the middle seat.
    She was travelling alone and next to her near the window, a middle aged person Mr.X was sitting very impatiently. Mr.X has been continuously talking her aloud abt his travel and purpose. The noise was quiet disturbing for us as we badly wanted to relax during the short travel. Moreover Mr.X has been getting up very frequently to check his cabin luggage and adjust the suitcase he has kept below the seats.

With all these disturbances, I decided to skip my nap and started to watch him interestingly for next 20 mins. Then we all heard Captain's message abt the location of the flight near to chennai and that we would be landing in 20 mins if ATP clearance is received.

On hearing the announcement, our Mr.X stood up, started moving outwards towards the pathway. In a half standing position (almost leaning on the old lady),
    he tried to open the cabin shutter. No one from the cabin crew was around to notice him as he had already irritated them by asking water, flight timings etc.
    Mr.X's action has made me open my eyes widely and wonder what he was abt to do. I couldn't control myself anylonger. I removed my seat belts and stood up. Then went towards the opposite seats. My GM was watching me curiosly abt what this girl is going to do?

Myself: "Excuse me Sir, shall I help You?"
    Mr.X: "Madam, I want to take out my suitcase"
    MySelf: "flight has not landed yet. Its n't safe to open the cabin space"
    Mr.X: " Madam, I am in a hurry. I have to reach Madurai by tomorrw morning. I have to pass this luggage to them ASAP"
    Myself: "Sir, this is a plane and not a bus. You cannot get down even if you want like a bus/train. You will have to patiently wait till you reach Chennai."
    Mr.X : " No Madam, I am in a hurry.. I have to catch the next bus/train to madurai. ie why"
    Myself: "Sir, I can understand your position. Pls note again that this is a plane. Pls wait till Chennai is reached or you can jump through the window if you want.
    u know You have been disturbing the old lady also. Once you open the cabin shutter, the luggage may fall and hurt us".

Now few other side seat travellers also complained abt Mr.X's behaviour. Now Mr.X kept quiet and sat on his seat.
    Mr.X: "o.k...hmmmm"
    myself: "Thank You Sir. Once flight is landed, you pls come out first and take out your luggage and proceed. We rest of us can wait. But pls never ever travel in a hurry."

Mr.X: "O.k Madam..."

I took my seat. Now my GM turned to me and flashed a smile. Then said "You have got courage. Liked your approach".
    Me sighingly returned his smile and said, "ie my nature, sir".

But I still think did I do the right thing? Why should I reacted when rest of the co-passengers were silent.?

2. bipasha

bipasha Senior IL'ite

Hey leela,
    I think you did an excellent job by asking Mr X to be patint..In a way you were doing good to others..U really have courage.. people like are not seen everywhere who can handle situations like this tactfully.

Bipasha

3. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Good job Leela.

I wish everyone start taking such initiatives then this world will be a better place to live in.

roopa.

4. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Good job.Well said.I have seen several times in flights people removing their belts and groping for the their luggages in spite of repeated warnings from the captain and the cabin crew.I have always felt irritated but never uttered a word.Good work done.

5. Nakshatraa

Nakshatraa Silver IL'ite

Hi Leelal,
    It's a gud initiative. Some one should bell the cat.
    There are so many public inconveniences like this - like screeming on the cell tsk,
    hearing to loud music on their ipod while travelling on public vehicles :bang, which I find totally annoying .
    I hope people become more considerate towards others.

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Leelal,
    Good effort.Had i been in ur position i wud not have adjusted to these kinda irritable people and i could have imparted some public sense to him.But, please do rember one thing, whenever you are in these kinda situations the words that you use and the way you put it acrossshould be given utmost care.I have been thru this lot of times.

Way to go!!!

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Leelal,

We need to impart civil senses in these brutes. Good move, I would have lost my head for sure...

8. leelal

leelal Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends,

Thank You for the encouragement given.
    While I was doing that act, I had only 2 intentions.
    1. Save myself from hurting when luggage may fall directly on me and it might even lead to a chaos in flight during the landing time.
    2. Save the old lady from Mr.X as she was relecctunt and silent not knowing what to do.

All this could have been avoided if our lady aunt has said few words like this...

"Thambi, unnoda rompa thontharava irukku. Koncham kaiyum kalum vechindu chumma iruppa. Vayei mootikkittu chennai varaikkum variya.. Vanthathum unnoda Bagum pottiyum eduthikkittu munne poppa.. Engala koncham nimmathiya irukka vittenna rompa punniyam kidaikkum unakku... Om nama Sivaya...."..

As our dear friend had said, I would have been in a mess if I have used little harsh words or facial expressions. Mr.X would have staretd reacting strongly in a rebellius manner. Definitely I had gone to the extent of an air hostess and politely conveyed the message. Now I pity the air-hostess who used to smile to all customers for all their requests without loosing their anger.. I think they are paid for this charm...

9. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    What u did was perfectly right.Many of us hesitate to talk to such people and jus remain silent.But only when we start speaking persons like X will remain silent.As u said that lady aunt must have given nicely to Mr.X..

-Shantha Kasiarunachalam/:

10. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Leelal,

Bravo!! We need more of your tribe to take up such issues so that the timid ones
    can benefit from such positive actions.
    I am usually very reluctant to do so ,always fearing the spin-offs that are likely to follow.....so I pretend to be blind /deaf and suffer in silence!!:-(
    Great job! keep it up.
    PAULINA:hatsoff