1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

An Ignoramus question: What is the effect of PMS moodswings on a relationship?

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by Spiderman1, May 25, 2010.

1. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I've read from a few members here abt the effect of PMS on relationships. Are PMS moodswings real? Can women become unpredictable and difficult to deal with in that stage?

I'm *not* talking about physical discomfort (that may be a reason for mental discomfort, so if so, yes include it).

But I'm talking abt mood unpredictability and irritability in general.

How do we know if it is the PMS effect? Sometimes I am so confused and unable to read certain behavior, and I wonder if it is PMS related :bonk

I am completely ignorant on this matter and will admit to it.:)

Last edited: May 25, 2010

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Also, my understanding is ONLY some women have this moodswing effect to a noticeable degree (for most, it is negligible). If so, how do we know if a given woman has it? Is a doctor capable of giving a diagnosis - since it is mood related I'm unsure how well a doc can diagnose!?

I just googled randomly and found this snippet:
    That sounds IMPRACTICAL!!!:spin
    Events and situations and conversations dont always come on a planned schedule! Very Impractical!:drowning

3. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

Spidy even life and death is unpredictable so why not harmonal havoc.
    Yes I get it myself and my typical pattern is a day or 2, however my SIL has it throughout the month just as the way on this snippet.

I would still myself admit that when you know people will buy your logic or mood swing for entire month or a part of it, I will never learn to harness my swings. Since I know that people around me shall not tolerate any nonsense even for a day & when they do it for their daughter I have to make myself unavailable or uapproachable to avoid a mess.

Yes if PMS matters for a day or 2 it can be practical to avoid certain confrontations.. however if its a extended duration then impractical but yes a reality... and is a bad phase to go through.. when you end up behaving irrationaly sensitive or violent.

1 person likes this.
  4. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Few women suffer mood swings - I am on the list. Problems started only after the onset of hypothyroidism. Just for 2-3days I become extremely sensitive. I usually make an announcement to my family - 'Don't irritate me please. I am not feeling well' so that they adjust with me. Doesn't affect the relationships and all. Better to keep them informed.

5. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

Girls with harmonal imbalance will suffer more with mood swings,abdominal pain and constipation/diarrhea,UTI at times.

Any girl would get irritated to do household chores,office work.Any girl would expect DF/BF/DH or any such responsible guy on earth to have an eye on her during that time.PERIOD.

It is better to avoid cold war,irritating(usupethufying) conversation with DW during this time.

6. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

With me, I'm able to contain any type of mood swings when I'm out in public or dealing with outsiders. But at home with my husband, sometimes I might get a little cranky and snap at him. Physical discomfort definitely makes me even more cranky. :rant

He's really understanding though and I always tell him when my period is started or about to start so he knows I'm not feeling well. If I'm not feeling well he does his best not to aggravate me, cooks dinner, washes the dishes and rubs my tummy. Because of that, I'm able to relax, and hence stay happy and nice.

I'm on a hormonal birth control pill, so by and large the symptoms a normal woman feels are greatly lessened for me. So maybe my experiences are not typical or representative of other women. Anyways, these things vary from person to person. I've heard some women get REALLY pissed off during their period or because of PMS. :hide:

7. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

I never believed in mood swings until DH started pointing out. So, when I am very difficult to deal with, go in deep depression, fight, throw tantrums, in short when DH doesn't know what has hit him badly and why is DW is behaving weird. All he does is go and check the date (yes I do track the dates on my calendar) and come back and say 'its the time of the month'. SO, I guess I am on the list of women who have mood swings during PMS. He offers me a choclate or takes me for an ice cream instead of arguing with me.

I am a very calm person who is not provoked easily but I have observed that during those days of the month I will just burn with rage. Even inside me I know that I am being difficult but I would not stop at that, there is no controlling me.

So now both me and DH knows when its gonna happen and we deal with it.

Ice cream, chocolates, shopping does the trick for me (dunno about my poor DH though).

regards

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I do not know the underlying causes/possible solutions but I can speak for myself. The PMS symptoms are not noticed by me if I am in public or with people. If I am at home alone or with DH then I get cranky and feel low for 2-3 days before the period starts. There have been times when big fights have been triggered due to this:hide:. I know it and so does my DH but somehow I can't control myself from picking up fights. Physical discomfort is something that I can't bear and it irritates me and also causes friction. But, that's rarely. Mental stress is what affects me more. I do agree that it can cause probems in relationships.

9. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

I never had any Mood swings during PMs, was just normal.

But Pregnancy was hell for me in terms of Hormonal havoc, used to cry randomly even if my Dh was just 5min late or did not reply to my text message, if i did not fit into my fav t-shirt :crazy:crazy:crazy

DH mentally prepared himself that he has to put up with it for 9 mnts and more ..... so he is careful not to aggravate me.

10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

PMS should not have a profound effect on any working relationship. Dysfunctionality is exacerbated with PMS.
    PMDD, a rather severe form of PMS, is a different story. Here is what good old wikipedia has on it. A lot of the syndrome has to do with how the other person responds to the mood changes. It was a part of my life that I had a clue dealing with. For long, long time. And then I got married. I had PMS before my wedding. Now I have PMDD :-D.