1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

An Enigma

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by GeetaKashyap, Apr 25, 2019.

1. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

God surely loves to create his puzzles and he enjoys watching us struggling to solve them and emerge winners. Your tagline is superb.:thumbup:

How about linking your wife's lost blue shawl with this story?
    > Dr Sahani found the exquisite blue arabesque shawl in the bus>not knowing who the owner was, he gave it to Simran's mother> Blue was her favourite colour and it was the first time Mr Sahani gave anything to Mrs Sahani>Simran is fond of that shawl as it was her mother's favourite and it had a special place in her heart!

>And we the creators of that 'shawl trail' exchange a high five and grin!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    SpringB and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. GeetaKashyap

Part 2

Simran was a chatterbox like her mother; she required no specific subject but wanted just a listener to begin an endless chatter. Often her father would say, “Both of you can chat even with a wall!” Then mom would retort, “You are a saint in a married man’s garb. You don’t speak to us at all; you speak only when it is unavoidable! What else can we do? We make up for your silence!”

Even though her parents were respectful towards each other, Simran had always felt something amiss in her family. Unlike her friends’ parents, Simran’s parents hardly ever argued, laughed or spent enough time together. She had known her father only from a distance. Simran wondered what to tell a stranger about her father whom she respected a lot but she also harboured many unresolved feelings towards him. And how much of sharing would be proper without giving away too much to regret later!

After a few moments of silence, she said, “My father was a Professor and Head of the Economics Department at the local SRN College. He was an introvert. He was brilliant as a teacher and was very popular with his students. You may be aware that he has written a couple of books on his subject. That’s it; he used to be busy with his own intellectual pursuits.” Simran noticed Angad listening to her with rapt attention. She continued, “At home, he wasn’t communicative or demonstrative at all. He hardly made mundane conversations with us. Mom used to be peeved with him for the same reason. She was just the opposite of him in every way; she was gregarious and so full of life. She passed away three years ago following diabetic complications.”

Noticing Simran's anguish, Angad apologized, “Please forgive me, ma’am, my questions are prompting you to recall those sad moments of your life.”

Simran shook her head wistfully. Wiping her tears she said, “It is okay, Dr Sachdev, my father’s death was unexpected. He couldn’t even say a parting word before his death. Since I am their only child, I feel he should have spoken to me about many relevant things in life and prepared me better to face it. I am now struggling to come to terms with his sudden demise and managing my life independently,” Simran paused to collect her feelings.

Angad nodded in agreement as he waited for Simran to get hold of her feelings. He noticed that she was a beautiful, lean and tall young woman of about twenty-five years of age. She appeared to be a bold go-getter kind of a girl, in general. She had looked very confident just a few minutes ago, yet she now looked very vulnerable. He felt sorry for her plight.

Simran faked a smile and asked, “What more do you want to know about my father, Dr Sachdev?”

Angad noticed some bitterness in her tone. Trying to ease the atmosphere, he said, “Please don’t be so formal with me. You may call me Angad.”

“Okay, I will call you by name only if you would also call me by name and not address me as Ma’am," she said, accepting his friendly gesture. She then continued, “My father was a loner by choice. Perhaps meeting you and your father would have made him very happy.”

“I agree. Our parents hailed from Amritsar and studied together. In fact, I had gone to Amritsar in search of Dr Sahani,” he said.

“Yes, I have heard about his Amritsar connection. He distanced himself from his relatives and came to settle down here. My parents never discussed their past. Looks like I have to discover my roots now, through you!” She said with a wry smile. “Angad, had your father shared any anecdotes about their student years?" Simran quizzed. This was her chance to get to know her father who was an enigma to her.

Angad raised his shoulders and threw up his hands in the air. Pursing his lips, he said, ”We are sailing in the same boat. I never knew about Dr Sahani until last week. Even Dr Sachdev was a person of few words and worked for a finance firm in Mumbai. I am sorry; I don’t have much to share at the moment. Few notes I found in the personal diary referring to Dr Sahani made me curious. I too am trying to piece together their past and solve that jigsaw puzzle.”

Simran was distracted by Angad’s way of referring to his father as Dr Sachdev, she thought it was odd. The word 'Jigsaw puzzle' alerted her. But looking at Angad's calm demeanour, she surmised perhaps, he too has emotional undercurrents similar to hers!

Angad realized that Simran was now seriously analyzing something. He immediately diverted her with the information he had gathered at Amritsar. He said, “Dr Sahani had only one elder brother and he is no more. His family has migrated to Canada. Hardly any substantial information could be gathered. Someone from Khalsa College in Amritsar said that Dr Sahani had shifted to Ludhiana. His name was enough to reach your house here.”

Simran nodded, when compared to Mumbai Ludhiana was indeed a small place. The information shared by Angad made her wonder again what must have prompted her even-tempered father to break all ties with his parents or brother and why had he never once spoken about them. There must have been some deeper issue behind his actions. On this issue, her parents were together. Even her mother had avoided any discussion on this topic; she had gone to the extent of extracting a promise from Simran not to bring up such questions at home. Simran was aware that her mother was an orphan and had nobody whom she could call her own. Today while cleaning her father's room she was, in fact, looking out for some pieces of information but had found none.

“Do you also teach, Simran?” Angad’s question broke her thoughts.

“Hmm...well, I am working for the ICICI Bank here. I was not keen on gathering academic qualifications. Soon after my graduation, I got this job and I am happy with it as it suits my temperament.”

After divulging the personal information, she bit her tongue; she had shared more than the necessary amount of personal information with Angad, that too on their very first meeting! This was something her father always disapproved; often he would caution her for being indiscreet. She had once again erred throwing caution to the wind! This could be perilous when she now stayed all alone! To cover her folly, she added hastily, “My uncle and aunt live with me now. They have gone for shopping; they will be here anytime.”

Angad could read through her lies and confusion. From his research, he had learned that Dr Sahani had broken all ties with their relatives. Simran was her parents’ only child and after their death, she lived alone. Angad felt bad for Simran that she had to face the world all alone from such a young age!

Noticing her sudden reticence, Angad got up to leave. He said, “Simran, our parents were good friends and you can depend on me in case you need any help.”

Simran simply nodded.

Angad continued, “Due to my erratic working hours I find it difficult to take phone calls, but we could stay in touch over WhatsApp, provided you trust and wish to befriend me. It was wonderful to meet you; thanks for everything. Bye, take care."

Angad left without waiting any further. With a heavy heart, Simran bade him and shut the door behind her. She had turned emotional thinking of her parents. In her lonely world, now a new person had entered; she could feel a deeper personal connection with him.

****************************End of Part 2****************************

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Bhoonzee, Afresh, Rampuri9 and 14 others like this.
  3. aarthi28

aarthi28 Platinum IL'ite

Again the second part too is interesting. What's up in the store next. Lots of questions arise. Let me wait for you untie it by Part 3. Good going.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

Thanks, dear Aarthi, for the prompt first feedback. Tomorrow the mystery will be revealed.:sunglasses:

5. GeetaKashyap

@messedup , @muggs , @mbharani and @shravs3 , I appreciate your clicking on the 'Like' button and registering your presence here but I would be happier to have your precious feedback; I am looking forward to it. Thank You.

6. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

Gurugale as always gripping and livley screen play :clap2::clap2: you have captured every minute moment which helps us to visualize the flow :worship2: and you can't maintain the suspense for long :nono:gurugale waiting for the ice to break :lol:

I hope Mr A is not in search of some biological mystery. :confundio1:

Thank you and keep you rocking :cheer::wave1:

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

God
    :hello:A good wedlock between the two stories possible through blue shawl.
    2. It could be like a flash back.
    It was beginning of mild winter. In Dec. In then Bombay. From trunk Simran took it and covered herself over her shoulders. She felt being hugged by her late mom. Eyes flooding. Then she remembers how her dad got for her mom and the bluff that he had purchased came to be known after several years. Oh so nice the feeling close to mom in her open arms...
    3. Thanks for your appreciation for the God-line.
    Regards.
    God loves to live in stories, hills and skyscrapers.

GeetaKashyap and SpringB like this.
  8. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

wow...i am confused... poor soul 25 years of age..all alone...

GeetaKashyap and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

The story seems to be very interesting @GeetaKashyap
    I feel somehow Angad is responsible for Dr Sahani’s death :thinking:
    Waiting for next episodes

10. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

@GeetaKashyap akka,
    Interesting 2 episodes. Story reminded me of Anupama Niranjana's moolamukhi(?) where the heroine (who is an archaeologist by profession) goes to explore her biological origins. Instead of heroine, it is Angad here.