1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I Over-reacting??

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by geeta79, Mar 24, 2022.

1. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

In Tamil there is a saying "kuduthaithai kettal aduthathu pagai" -> if you ask back what you already gave there will be only fights
    What is your husband stand in this ?

chanchitra and Rihana like this.
  2. AditiShining

AditiShining Bronze IL'ite

This is so right. You have set the expectations so high. I had also done that. I had offered to press my MIL's legs once and since then she started demanding it. She order me to massage her legs.
    I could only be free when I got a maid to massage her legs.

You have to act carefully

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@geeta79,

Your mother-in-law not integrating well with your family is much more serious problem than your requirement to have your children sleep in the second bedroom. How can she be completly indifferent to all that is happening in the house including a) contributing something to the chore and b) spending time with the grandchildren? You and your husband contributed to it by being silent to this belligerent attitude.

It is never late. You and your husband need to speak to her to be more involved in family matters. If it is an independent house, build another bedroom for your children with two single beds. If it is an apartment, it is your husband who should state that she should move to the hall with a bed in it. If she is watching television until early morning hours, she could do that in the hall instead of in a bedroom.

I wonder how much impact your MIL's indifference causes your children's mind? How can a grandmother not contribute to raising the grandchildren? There is something functionally wrong.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022