1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I A Bad Person For Not Liking My "mother In Law"?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Jul 9, 2017.

1. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Your resentment is understandable.

But some questions :what is the actual possibility of them staying with as you are in US and they in India ... Are you moving to india ?

I believe it is highly impractical and costly to set up two homes in US .

When they were bad you were vulnerable , you took it all in without standing up for yourself

Now when they are vulnerable and are good , it will look like you are extracting revenge from then .

If they are good to you , why can't you take that goodness at face value and be cordial ... You don't go overboard , do what you can so.

You throwing a tantrum now for something which happened in the past will not go down well with your husband specially when he sees they are good now ..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    sindmani and peartree like this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I was on the same page as you until very recently. And I am not gonna change my mind either.
    But, fortunately I understood the fact that a leopard doesn't change its spots.
    This helps me to stop all my expectations from them; thus no further disappointments.

So, as you said, it is important to take their goodness at face value only, and be cordial. It gives you loads of peace of mind.
    At the same time, you must learn to be assertive, and strong. You must be able to protect yourself from the potential harm anyone may create.
    Running away from troubles, specially in a marriage life can never solve your problem. It can further trigger it, and gives you loads of emotional turmoil.
    So, face your problem as they come

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  3. blissfulmember

blissfulmember Senior IL'ite

Dear OP, Love and hugs for you.

You are not a bad person nor is your MIL. You are just being bothered by past.
    You need to let it go. Don't hold on the grudges it will harm you. Remember people change with time. They may not be the same person now. Just forgive them and forgive yourself.
    Gather Strength.Be the best what you can be. Shower love in your own way. Don't be bogged down by other people expectation. Just be natural. Smile and be together. You can mend this by love.

God bless you :)