1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Alzheimer's disease: memory loss in elders

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by mach108, Mar 5, 2006.

1. mach108

mach108 New IL'ite

Alzheimer's Disease (AD), typically manifests in memory loss, especially in elders. While this ailment is well recognised in Western countries, we in India generally think that it is an age-related phenomenon. AD typically begins with memory loss, especially of recent events. Patients can usually remember an event that occurred 50 years back, but may not recall what they ate for breakfast that morning ! My daughter who is a Doctor in U.S mentioned that a lady brought her aged mother (85 yrs) to the hospital. Half an hour after examination, the old lady could not reconise her daughter ! Such is the short memory, which is gennerally unimaginable.

In addition to loss of memory, there is often intellectual impairment, confusion and in late stages inability to look after one self. All these are frequently accompanied by personality changes and even violent behaviour.

AD is every one's greatest fear, as we grow older.

An awareness on Ad would help us to realise quickly if this ailment sets in with any of our family members, including ourselves.

2. priyanka

priyanka Junior IL'ite

Hi,

I had seen a report few days back on TV about A.D. We Indians rarely get AD as we include turmeric in our daily diet.There are many things in our country which can cure big diseases and we only believe when a Foreigner tells us.

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Ad should be taken seriously

Hai every one,
    AD should be taken seriously.My neighbour's father was affected by this. His family was taking care of him well. But one day, he went off when no one was wtching. He travelled from Besant Nagar to Perambur (Chennai), only God knows how. There he died after 3 or 4 days. The police were informed and they rmoved the body to the mortuary in GH.
    The family was searching franticaly and ads were given in all media. This fellow saw the photo in newspaper after 3 days of death and informed them over phone. They went and identified the body and then did the final rites. My neighbour went and met the person who took care of her father and bought his whole family clothes and food on the 13th day and thanked him.
    Recently, a malayalam movie 'Thanmathra' meaning atom is released. In that, Mohanlal plays the central character, who is affected by AD. The film is a big hit and has bagged 5 state awards. More than that, it is creating an awareness about the disease. Lal got best actor award. He plays a middle aged man affected by Ad.
    varloo

4. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

It is indeed one of the worst geriatric health problems -where the diseased as well as the family members/caregiver are totally affected.

I only wish we could create more awareness for the disease as it affects the qualitiy of life for the patient and there are drugs to improve that if diagnosed at an early stage. Of course it cant be cured the AD is a problem which todays world face as longevity has improved tremendously.

5. kiran82

kiran82 Silver IL'ite

I am currently looking after my mother-in-law who is aged 95 and with Alzheimer's since 4years.I am blessed with the fact that she has very good physical health although now she cannot walk(since 2 years).She does not recognise me as her daughter-in-law any more.She feels her son is her husband(he passed away in 1969).Every day is a new experience for us with her.We have read in detail about the disease so we understand her.I keep wondering what about the scores or thousands of people who have no knowledge about this type of mental condition!

6. Arunadhri

Arunadhri Bronze IL'ite