1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

All That Hullabaloo

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, May 8, 2020.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I am at the STOP sign, not sure why I cannot write it as a ‘stop’ sign. I look to the left, then the right – there seems to be equal number of cars on both the sides. No question of the road less traveled! Both roads seem traveled equally. I decide to turn right only because I get a peek at my beloved gym. Yes, the same one where I spin away or used to spin away early in the morning! If you are wondering as to why I am not going straight, well that road will not take me home. So, it is not even in the running though it has equal number of cars like the other two!

Having turned right, I realize that I am sitting in a traffic jam! Yes, a traffic jam. Who would have thought – in this day and corona age? But I am smiling, as I am sure like other drivers are. As I sit there waiting and watching the signal turn red for the third time, I think of the previous day and the quick ride in the car to go see a bald eagle's nest! How amazing it was, the quiet drive of just three miles, the nest, the regal eagle sitting watching over its huge nest and not to forget the fact they are making such a huge come back. The quietness and the solitude of that ride of yesterday gave me as much joy as this chaos. I feel lost and emotional! All thanks to this day and corona age, I feel. It takes 10 minutes longer than normal to get home and the wait was worth it for I feel like a hero having conquered something invaluable and why not? I had ventured out planning that morning, spoken with a stranger from a distance and even got to take some pictures, not to forget the number people I go to see! All from a safe distance for me and others!

The day started with blue skies, clear blue skies! This is a dicey month, you know weather wise, and we are happy to take a warm day with clear skies when ever the gods above wish to shower one on us. Shh…don’t say shower out loud for they yes, the same gods may think we need some more rain! I have been all excited, eagerly anticipating this since the message popped on my screen. No, not about that clear blue day, nor about arrival of a package though I look forward to both! I see my dog get equally excited and get ready to go along with me. He has never failed to sense my mood and play along. I debate just for a moment whether to take him or not, but those puppy eyes and that anticipatory foot forward gait melt me. He has not been getting his rides on my grocery runs either. So, I look at him and say, “Let’s go!” He is near the car in a blink, nah a flash! Which one is faster, I wonder, the blink, flash or my dog?

As we drive along, I notice that the roads are slightly busier than usual. When I say usual, you know I mean the usual for these times. I have planned quite a bit in my head about the time I need to leave, the place I am going to park and other minute details. I have left early for I know they are going to be precise! As I turn into the parking lot, I go “WHOA”. It is like a fair is going on out there! I did not plan on seeing so many cars filling up all the parking. I wonder if I can find parking. I turn anyways for it is the best view and park farther knowing I can walk to the spot. As I reach the spot, I am happy to see so many people – all maintaining distance, sitting in their cars or on their cars, families with little kids, dogs, some with their cokes and snacks. It feels like it is a day of permission to get out. As I continue talking to the lady with whom I had walked from my parking spot, I realize I am screaming – the distance you see!

You know the civil talking that we are used to now feels like a 'match' of words and screams. The one odd time I braved to step into a shop for some flowers, yes flowers – the outside is yet to give me the blooms for my vase and I do love fresh flowers in the house, I found smiling naturally at the people I came across only to realize that no one can see my pretty pearls. And if I do say hello, I have to be loud and loudness changes the tone and I might sound like a robot or sound angry or uncomfortable - that thought made me laugh and I could laugh all I want behind my mask and no one would care! Ah, I deviated from the topic, didn’t I? And I know you do care about where I had left off! So, as we continued talking, I get my cell phone ready. I have my camera too, but I know it may not find use at the moment. And just as I think 'it is that time', I hear the zoooom sound in the air coming from a distance! Yes, the fighter planes flying past all hospitals in our town honoring the front-line workers! In about 10 secs, the two planes had disappeared into the opposite direction and having clapped, screamed and saluted, all of us got ready to head back the way we had come talking delightfully about the perfect spot we had picked.

All that hullabaloo of my writing about my day was about that - I am ever grateful for many people during these trying times!

Happy Mother’s Day to all of you!

IMG_20200508_101330.jpg

Celebrate the mother’s and mother like figures in your life. Make it a fabulous day.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    Happy Mother's day to you too.
    Described a day outside the home on Carona day like a poetry in prose. Only you can write in this way. My dull and gloomy spirit also jumped with a smile....especially when we smile or speak from behind the mask!!!!
    In Hyderabad too a few days back helicopters showered flowers on the staff of Gandhi Hospital .....Right from Chief of hospital to cleaning staff ...everyone who cared Corona patients day and night....away from their families. They all came out of the hospital with smiling faces! I watched on TV live.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sabitha,

Toby perhaps enough of the company from each one of you and now try to see other people outside by taking a car ride with you. Orion doesn't like car rides and hence he is happy staying inside the house round the clock. The only visit outside is to do his business. I am thinking about how we used to worry about people wearing masks (terrorists) to now worrying about those who don't wear a mask. That thought came to me when you said about no one could see you laughing inside your mask.

Seeing places that we used to visit before Corona Virus appears to be historic places now bringing our memories not too long ago. I salute the frontline workers not giving up despite the prolonged time needed to flatten the curve. I am imagining Toby doing the following in the video:

Thyagarajan and Srama like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala,

You saved the day for me. Thank you for your response. I know I can ramble on and on but hearing this from you
    truly made my day! thank you again!

They totally deserve it and I am glad every one around the world
    is finding ways to celebrate the frontline workers!

The interesting thing is, it is easy to stay cooped up in the house too and when we venture out, it feels different and refreshing. The one thing that has happened as I see here in my neighborhood is all families are together - you know empty nesters suddenly have their kids home. And yesterday was really nice and festive with many families having visitors for mother's day! Hope you are having a good day is too!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

Don't know if Toby is tired of us yet but every time he sees us separately, he sees an opportunity for another walk and of course I denote a car ride :) When he sees outsiders, we say that the way he acts, it seems like he is craving for love for he does not get any from us!

Agree with you. It seems like this is going to be on for quite sometime. All of us have to do what we are asked to and what we must.

Thank you as always for responding to this post. Appreciate it.

Thyagarajan likes this.