1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

All Is Well ,slowly Things Returning To Normal...happy For My Sister

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by blessed, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Good to know that things turned out well..my sympathy goes out to the DIL who was unnecessarily suspected..and when she tried counselling the niece , she was insulted..I would also maintain a distance and maybe expect an apology if I was in her place.

abla, nakshatra1, Sandycandy and 2 others like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

blessed, both of your threads on this topic have been an eye-opener in so many ways. Even with the mystery around the son's behavior cleared up, I have noted it down somewhere for future use -- never assume (married) kids will be happy to host you any time you want to visit them. Other lesson is that there there can so many reasons why people behave how they do; we never know till we know.

The reasons listed for 'naturally' being 'dead against' the girl's relationship with that man are like the reasons parents produce when child wants to have a love marriage. Looks like the man's age, marital status, being a dad, financial state after divorce were the reasons to reject him. Maybe he is a good person also? The girl has completed her masters. She must be around 23-25. Old enough to choose? Maybe she saw something in him?

I wonder why we educate our children, bring them up in the USA or send them abroad for studies, but when they try to adopt any of the other American life style parts, we fall back to 'meeting the man without girl's knowledge, telling him to back off' and so on?

It is a general question. I also might have similar reaction if my child falls for someone like that man. One more lesson I learnt from these threads. Meet the child's choice, give them a fair hearing, and don't reject outright based on profile factors like divorcee, poor, has a child.

Also, why blame the guy only (cunning, getting a beautiful girl for second innings...). Maybe she is getting a green card? Again, this is natural. When our child or our niece/nephew behave in a way we don't like, we blame outside factors for it. For the son's inexplicable behavior, the DIL was blamed, for the daughter's affair, the divorced man is blamed.

I hope my children don't feel they have to hide things of this enormity from me like this for so long.

blessed, for parents like your sister, the heartbreak of a son who has changed, or a DIL who is cold, is one thing. That of a daughter in an affair like this is another thing. Your sister needs you more than ever now. I hate to say this: such affairs rarely break up once and for all. Now comes the tougher part of keeping it under wraps, esp. around the time of groom hunting.

See... now she is asking DIL to take care of her daughter. If only she had gifted that DIL the diamond necklace son was going to pay for.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    abla, blissofmylife, blessed and 6 others like this.
  3. Rihana

blessed, we all post responses in threads, argue animatedly, then forget and move on. Your threads struck a chord and ran for pages. But, you don't owe any detailed follow-up or updates, or any clearing up your nephew's behavior. The patch-up and all-izz-well can be shared without going into details.

The first thread was fairly or barely anonymous, and was only about a changed-after-marriage son and bratty DIL. This one has too many details. Even if one person from that campus or town reads it, now or in the future, and realizes who the people are, it could lead to irreversible damage for a young girl, a man, and people associated with them. Campuses are now having to look very closely at any relationships between faculty and students.

IL is quite well-known even among people who don't post or read regularly.

I would suggest you work offline with admins to see how this thread can be edited.

abla, Shanvy, sindmani and 4 others like this.
  4. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

True @Rihana, I didn’t think how this may impact the daughter.. generally am paranoid myself about revealing personal details online, and this post has lot of info and is wise to work on removing the posts.

Sandycandy likes this.
  5. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@blessed By God's grace every thing sorted smoothly.i want to know whether you got your's sister's permission to post about her family problems in a Public forum .You mentioned that you didn't interfere much and how come you asked opinion from IL friends.Don't mistake me ma you had chances to sort out the problem by talking to your nephew to know the truth .suppose your nephew or his wife come to know about this post what will they think about you?I am not writing this to offend you but must be cautious in sharing other family problems in social forums.sorry if i disturbed you ma.

blessed likes this.
  6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Why have such expectations from a dil when the daughter did not react decently to her involvement ?

I feel dil should stay out of this because if relations spoil,she will be the first one to be blamed. The daughter will be forgiven. Besides why should any one be expected to take care of a adult who is not nice to her ?

abla and Sandycandy like this.
  7. Rihana

In such times, family is family. Sometimes a sibling needs some guidance or other help. Foreign land .. a little support from brother and SIL can help the girl. Of course, the DIL should be careful and not overdo things, but she cannot remain completely detached from the matter. "Not nice to her.." to be expected from a girl who is in love (?) being advised to break up.

When a sibling is going through major life stuff like marriage, affair, divorce, job loss, challenge with child ... they need help from sibling.

sindmani likes this.
  8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Totally ! I am sure the DIL has learnt her lessons from this entire episode as well.

abla, sindmani and yellowmango like this.
  9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

From sibling ....yes.
    From siblings spouse....depends on how relationship is between the sibling( the sister) and the spouse .
    While the elder brother can say things or do things that may seem unfair to the sister,but he will be forgiven . But if dil says something or does something similar,she will be blamed and rarely forgiven.
    Why take such risks so early in marriage specially now that she knows how easily her inlaws are to put the blame on her.Besides how much say does a new dil have in the family matters of a husband's family .
    Do you think that girl is going to listen to her brother's wife.
    20 + years and I still don't have a say and have realized it is for my good only in the long run. I am not responsoble for other people's screw ups.

If I had to advice her....I would say ,stay away .Let her parents and brother deal with it .She can support her husband while he does it....but not get involved herself.

abla, Laks09, Rihana and 5 others like this.
  10. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

@blessed after all this, including your sis doubting her dil for the happaneings , I’ll say she is a good Mil. Though she suspected her dil she didn’t call her and talk any nonsense. Didn’t do long face to her dil making any friction in her relationship with her husband.
    As a mother she was suffering to know what is reason for her sons behavior, and didn’t suspect her daughter as she is the one acting normal. As a mil she thought all this are may be of her dil.
    Mil is the mil and this will happen in the coming generation also till the moms give equal importance to son and daughter and not thinking son is going with us till our final years. Pouring over kindness and developing possessiveness subtlety.

sindmani likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.