1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

All I Think Is About Food Food Food !!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Anusha2917, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

After being called names like "Olive oil, drumstick , no mass in my teens and 20s- all related to being too thin I have reached a stage in life where I am getting opposite set of comments .
    30s , pregnancy , those 1000s of harmonic injections for IVF , work from home , sedentary lifestyle etc put me on the other side of the spectrum.
    From XS to XL(XXL sometimes) my journey to weight gain is something every woman can relate .
    Those friends and cousins who always envied me eating that double ghee roast , taking that extra roti , finishing that rice, cheese burst pizza - all have to say now "OMG - why aren't you controlling your weight" - As if it is in my hands :hollering::facepalm:
    Well it was - I didn't have to eat that seconf and third mango, or go for that 5th ghee dosa at home , oh blame it on the lil one - I always made sure her plate is clean without a grain of rice left on her plate - No she knows how much to eat and eats to her appetite but mumma here is this kind human being who thinks of not wasting food and ends up eating extra portion(With extra ghee ,butter and cheese) because she feels she can't throw food into the bin.
    Okay this is my background to give an idea how I went from S to XL .
    As I was breastfeeding until recently I really did not think much on my weight gain or food intake .
    But now I realize it's not just the weight but "feeling fit" is something I should target at .

Actually recent shopping for my wedding anniversary at a nearby mall was a turning point for me to realize that I need be fit . XXL dresses were falling off my shoulder whereas XL was tight on the lower body. So after 100 visits to the trial room I came home disappointed buying nothing . That night I was losing sleep over this .

I started digging how can I lose weight(the C sec belly fat is the highlight) and get fit. I enrolled for a 3m program with a school buddy who is a certified nutritionist . After many chat sessions I started her program. No fancy diets but its mainly a calorie deficit diet with home made food. She has shared a week 1 chart of how many grams of what I can consume .
    Pretty interesting it is .
    Now the problem area : Day three into that program I am feeeeeling extremely tempted to eat all that extra ghee , that second mango, that extra serving of oil chapathi etc etc. However I let go of my Lil one's plate. If she doesn't eat either I throw that or offer the same to her in the next meal.
    I know my friend has given me a wonderful chart where my hunger will be satisfied , I won't feel weak whatsoever, exercise is included in that program . I can do everything except making up my mind to eat less. I mean all my life I never had a second thought about grabbing that extra serving . But suddenly I feel this is so difficult to do. After I prepared paneer pakora for my LIL one yesterday I had no control and just grabbed and ate 30% of what was prepared for her , which made my day's oil intake double. Did I feel guilty ? Oh extremely !
    Even though I had a healthy BF (contained 3idlis , sambhar , two fruits , one egg and milk) I did not feel satisfied . I kept thinking about that veggie pulao I made for lunch and when I can eat that ? When I went to use the washroom I could not control , grabbed a cup of that pulao. Felt satisfied after eating that. This is 1 hour post BF .

For me it's not about losing weight but putting that consistent effort to maintain that . Yeah my metabolism is not like before but this lifestyle change is required for me .
    Portion control was never my thing, but going forward how to a train my mind to eat less ? My body is co operating but not my mind . I feel I am hungry psychologically . I am thinking of food all the time.
    How to deal with this ?

shravs3, maalti, Rihana and 6 others like this.

2. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

Anusha2917 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Anusha2917 ,

I know you have written about something important to you and I hope you get responses from others and most importantly mommies your age who are in a similar boat. I logged in to say that I loved your writing - the unabridged version of your feelings and thoughts. I loved it when you said, it is not about losing weight but staying fit! It is that! Also, I was told recently that a pinch of hing in water before bedtime helps with metabolism I believe - I refrain from offering such suggestions in a public forum like this. But, this I thought a pinch of hing....so! I also googled and this is what I found

Is it good to drink hing water?
    [​IMG]
    A solution of hing or hing infused in lukewarm water drank regularly has innumerable benefits. It aids in digestion, helps in weight loss, controls diabetes and keeps respiratory problems and infections at bay.

I also have not tried it and will be trying starting today :)

All you need to know is you got this!

shravs3, Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Anusha2917,

But for @Srama's nomination of this post, I would have missed this wonderful snippet and the struggle many of us go through in remaining fit. In my opinion, the struggle becomes stronger when we age further. I am glad you are working with a nutrionist because learning what, how and when are 3 important things we need to learn to balance our diet. I came to know from my nutritionist that 80% fitness comes from the diet and 20% comes from workout. But in my view, the physical exercises do help to use some of the energy. She has been a consultant nutrionist for over 35 years. The good part is she worked in the pharma industry and was able to tell me all about what medications I take have the side effects of increasing my sugar level and other health complications. Some family physicians here in the US add so many medications to avoid an immediate catastrophy without giving much credence to the long-term effect to the health. My nutrition gave me an excellent report to me customized after understanding my health details that ran into several pages. She also sent me a recipe book as she came to know I am a vegetarian. Understanding the nutrients in the food and reading the labels is the first step in starting a diet plan. I spent nearly a month learning how to read and learn the nutrients in each type of food before I started on this diet.

Since this program is customized for me and I am not sure how helpful it would be for a young mother like you but I will share for general guidance and obviously it should be tailored to your requirements.

1) Drinking water with lemon and a pinch of salt - As soon as I wake up, I take 16.9 oz of water with lemon juice and a pinch of salt as advised by her. According to her, this reduces the size of the lever in less than a month.
    2) I do at least 60 minutes of work out everyday - As I am older, it is difficult for me to do excessive weight lifting and other intense exercises - I just a brisk walking for 45 minutes and another 15-20 minutes of upper body exercises and back support exercises throughout the day.
    3) I have been advised to take 105 grams of carb, 70 grams of protein and 79 grams of fat everyday. I have never weighed my food ever in my life and I use Orion's food weighing scale to measure my food now. :) That is broken down to 420 calories of carb (24%), 280 calories of protein (24%) and 711 grams of fat (52%) totaling up to 1,411 calories of food everyday. I include fiber in every meal before I eat carb, protein and fat. Fructose is restricted to 21.2 grams a day. I have to admit it was hard when I started it but slowly I am getting used to this nutrition diet plan. The strict instruction is if I feel hungry anytime of the day, I should report to the nutrition so that she can modify this plan. I need to drink plenty of water throughout the day except during the meal time. Every meal should take approximately 30 minutes to eat as chewing the food trains the mind to satisfy the hunger. I am a fast eater and now I learned how to eat my meal.
    4) Ever since I came to the US, the idea of eating less fat has been drilled into my head and hence most Lactose products I buy are Fat Free such as milk, yogurt, butter, etc. I am told by the Nutritionist to take more fat towards the end of the day as fat intake burns more fat that gets converted from carb in my body especially during sleep. I lived in India for 42 years and only last 25 years in the US and I am so used to eating a lot of carbs through Rice, Wheat and other heavy carb food. I realized my protein intake is extremely less even though it might come a little from Dosa and Sambar I take.
    5) The nutrionist advised me the brand names I need to buy in grocery store and to my surprise, I noticed that most Gluton Free food is stored high on the shelves and only popular brands occupy most of the shelves. The Nutriontist specifically told me to avoid GMO products. She gave me some interesting receipes and a list of groceries that would help balance my metabolism.
    6) I used to like hot or warm food a lot and I am told now to store the cooked food in the fridge and take it out and reheat before eating so that it would act as a resistance starch.
    7) I have regularized my meals into breakfast at 8 a.m., lunch at 1 p.m. and dinner at 6 p.m. (5 hours gap between meals) and in between I take plenty of water. Earlier I was not eating breakfast which resulted in excessive eating of carb during lunch.
    8) My breakfast now is either cooked Oats and salt, one fruit, Shredded cheese and Coffee withut sugar or 2 thin slices of bread with cheese, one fruit and Coffee without sugar.
    9) My lunch now is a combination of salads that include Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomato, Capsicum, Shredded Cheese, Peanuts or Pistachios, Specific brand of Mayo made of Olive oil, sometimes smashed Avacado, Chia seeds, Shredded Almonds, etc. After this I take Trio-lentils cooked, cooked curry, 2-3 table spoons of hand-pounded rice and yogurt.
    10) I do take dinner made by my wife either 2 chappatis with some lentil curry, 2 dosas, 3 idlies, yogurt, Cheese sticks to load myself with more fat later in the night.

I do drink plenty of water throughout the day. I don't feel tired at all due to this change of diet. However, some times I feel hungry especially when I have nothing else to work or think about. If I feel hungry late in the night, I take some grapes. Initially, I struggled to weigh my food but after I figured out what weighs how much, I am now able to take food systematically.

I have been in this diet only for a month now and I still need to understand what impact it created in my body. Later by the end of the month, I am going for blood work if everything checks out.

Note: I am giving this breakdown only to give you some ideas what to ask your Nutrition. Apparently, you may need a different plan as you are a young mother and may need more vitamins and minerals that might be customized for you by your Nutrition.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

@Anusha2917 i'm sure you will lose those extra weight before golu season. You writeup was so honest and authentic. I hope it is a phase just stick to the plan. You can do it. I'm cheering for you.

Anusha2917 and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Anusha,
    It took a couple of years for that weight to pile on. It didn’t happen overnight. It is going to take that long to get it off. Don’t be too worried about making lifestyle changes stick the first time. It will take a few months for you to consistently stick to your diet and exercise regimen.

I’m experiencing weight gain like I have never before seen(including while full term pregnant). Everyone is aghast. My mom is horrified. But I am on HRT for early peri menopause and it’s increasingly harder to control my carb cravings. I know it’s the hormones I’m using that’s partly to blame. I’m sure with IVF, you’ve been pumped up with hormones. The benefits outweighed the temporary weight issues you are now facing. That’s what I tell myself.

Give yourself a lot of leeway for temporary set backs. If you’ve gotten that second helping today, it’s ok. Tomorrow is another day. You can start fresh again. Don’t be too harsh on yourself.

Don’t implement all of the lifestyle changes starting day 1. Fix one thing at a time. If you are looking to fix your diet, then focus on that. Break it up. Focus on fixing one meal properly. Then work on your next meal. Give yourself a week or two of proper healthy breakfast before focusing on your lunch serving.

Some people have a habit of snacking between meals that’s a problem. Some people have a habit of consuming additional calories during the meal which is a problem. Identify your problem. If you are a prolific snacker between meals, keep on hand some chopped up cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, celery etc that you can go for instantly with a topping of chaat powder or something. If you wait until you are hungry, chances are you will go for the chocolate.

If serving sizes are the major issue, measure your portions out fully. Take a plate and put everything on it. Add plenty of veggies and salads too. Once you have your plate ready, eat that and don’t go for a second helping unless it’s for the salad or subzi.

Do not eat toddler food or left overs however tempting. It’s better to offer it to your child and once she is done to immediately discard it. We’ve been raised with the mentality of eating every morsel on our plates and not wasting any food but our body isn’t a trash can. Don’t treat it as such.

For things like paneer pakoras, even for children it’s not the best to eat on a regular basis. Start young. Give her a portion of your snack - boiled egg, veggie slices, fruits etc.

And who can put away mangoes and jackfruits. I was with my mom for the last few weeks and my bfast and lunch the first few days consisted of jackfruit and mango followed by my mom pushing ginger drinks down my throat for overeating that jackfruit. After the third day in a row, my mom started measuring out the portions and sending the rest of the jackfruit away with to the workers. From that experience, I know if there is no second mango around, you won’t eat it. Go leave it in your mom’s fridge. Isn’t she somewhere near you?

Every time you want to go for the additional meal or snack, get yourself some warm water. Ice water helps too. After drinking the water if you are still wanting something, go for the veggies. It should mostly fill you up. If you still want the sugar, go for a controlled helping of the fruit. By this time you should be satiated. Still hungry, take a walk, read something, watch a show, distract yourself.

If you need to start working out, hold off on adding it in while you are fixing your diet. All of it together can be overwhelming. Even there, start slow and add intensity over time.

It won’t all fix itself in a day. Give yourself enough time. As long as you aren’t gaining any more, consider it a big win. Slowly the weight loss will come.

shravs3, maalti, Anusha2917 and 4 others like this.
  7. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Dear Anusha,

It is heart touching write-up and totally relatable to moms struggle. Believe me I am in the same boat when you say "Emotional hunger" and always thinking of next meal and eating just of any emotion happiness/sad/boredom/frustrated you name it I am/was reaching to quick bite to satisfy my emotion, I am slowly learning to replace that with alternative like water, fruit or a quick walk with in home or quick squats (20) and diverting my mind from food. Being in mid 30's it is getting harder everyday let alone moving the scale, not even loosing inches. As Laks said, I am just focusing on one thing that is avoiding food every time I feel like unless it is designated meal time.

Sry I wasn't helpful but couldn’t resist posting the reply :)

8. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tip. No harm trying.. Just a pinch. :)

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

The reply to OP by you is hidden in the highlighted area which other followers here might miss. Hence i bring this to notice of others including OP @Anusha2917 .

Anusha2917 and Janakinarne like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

The entire regimen as outlined here to keep fit or to maintain or to shed is mind boggling. I think am lucky that my body taken after my mother and any amount any time i eat i get more lion-like hungry without affecting my fitness or adding weight/muscle mass. OMG touchwood no evileye should strike me. I thank the stars underwhich i am created to eat fearlessly in any lattitude or longitude! I must thank god i am male!!

Anusha2917 and Viswamitra like this.