Ageism…especially For Women

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Apr 21, 2024.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I saw a reel of Madhuri dixit and her dance.Comments poured it that she had to leave it to the younger generation and she is old and should retire etc etc..Same for Malaika etc

When a Hrithik,SRK,Vijay,actor prasanth,Prabhu deva etc can dance and act be applauded..why is it people are so reserved to compliment the ladies?

SRK rocking in six packs in Pathan is appreciated but when a woman does it..hell breaks loose!

Only women are targeted as “aunties” but why is it the hero’s or men not called uncles??

Women especially are asked to be more mature and act their age.Maturity should be in the way of communication and respecting people and giving space which is for every age.

Why should people curb their desires? Who are they harming?

There are many women who maintain themselves very well at a certain age even after having kids deserve appreciation but they are actually put down if they want to be a certain way.

Anyways if older men can act with younger ladies and dress well or dance ..same goes for women.Hope mentality changes.

MalStrom likes this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Thumbs up to your post!
    I don’t mind watching Vyjayantimala dancing even today. She was seen performing in Chennai a few months ago and my son too was among the audience. She is 90+. Audience for the dance ibig were in age group from 12+ to 80+. You know her son is settled in USA,

Ageing catches faster women than men. But women from their teens meticulous about their figure and fitness seemed to defying ageing better. Dancers the moment cease dancing, invariably seem to catch ageing at an accelerated pace. The eminent dancer Leela Thomson At 60+ replied to my question in the Hindu about dancers getting into apple shape after ceasing daily dance practice . She gave a diplomatic dancer her figure at 60+ is an example as to how she remains slim fit with presentable look.

Men do not suffer mensuration and menopause and they with their regular nocturnal activities and rigour of working in day seemed to retard the ageing process while biologically women are tend to age at an accelerated phase when they neglect their personal fitness on account of pressing family pressures mental & physical.

Handsome men remain so despite many other deficiencies but women always have something or other to worry about that leave tell tale signs of faster ageing.

Gen Z would like and patronise shows in which heroines are from gen z.

With hour-glass heroines figures ageing men have no difficulty in going around trees or chasing her in gardens on hillocks but the vice versa will not be aesthetic among young audience of gen z.
    Conversely it is observed among celebrity women in real life they like to marry or preferences for friends younger than them. Priyanka chopra, Vyjayantimala & Hema Malini are for example.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    anika987 likes this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

The last line is incorrect. Priyanka chopra ok. Vyjayanthi & hema preferred very elderly persons as their life hero.

anika987 likes this.
  4. Divyasaravanan

Divyasaravanan Silver IL'ite

This is very true in entertainment field. But in real life, I think men age faster than women :) At least we women groom ourselves to look better. If we see couple over 40, the husband looks way too old, maybe because men dont groom themselves, or too much stress/hair loss issues.

For women in entertainment industry, it might be a disadvantage when they age. But in general public, I feel women who are over 40 are in a much better position, be in their office space or in family circle where they can have better say in things compared to younger women.

I personally feel much more confident after turning 40, atleast it's been useful shut off someone who unnecessarily throws an advice at me by saying, "look I am 40, I know what I am doing, so stop preaching me". Btw, I started telling this dialogue right after I turned 39, lol :)

Did you see that Mahesh babu and Srilekha song? How creepy is that!! that girl looks like his daughter's age. And some sick song Jvovika did with Parthiban, I just saw a teaser of that song and felt like puking! Come on, that girl is as old as his granddaughter! So these silly things in entertainment won't change coz there are so many men who enjoy such stupid things.

anika987 likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Well said

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Actresses like Shilpa Shetty, Malaika, Sushmita Sen who have maintained body shape as they grow older, still look good in dance numbers and on stage. Madhuri Dixit or Aishwarya kind who have put on weight and look heavy, I find it cringe-worthy when they dance on stage like in film awards functions or TV shows.

Same for male actors - only those who have maintained their physique look good dancing in their 40's or 50's.

I somehow feel, whether men or women, dancing on stage shows that will be telecast to millions, it is better to do the dancing only if one still has the looks. Otherwise it makes them look desperate to hang on to fading youth. Dancing in private occasions like weddings of friends or Diwali party are fine no matter the age.

Ageism is definitely there in the film industry, and more so for women. But, I think it is more than women don't get good acting roles as they age. Movies with a female-centered plot are fewer. But as far as dancing goes, I don't see ageism. The viewer comments of 'stop dancing...' are valid if the dancer is obviously past their prime in looks. It is just too painful to watch. See the difference between Madhuri and Hrithik in the dance below. It is obvious he still practices his dance and stays fit.

7. Rihana

Nice response from Malaika to people's comments that she is old and budhiya. : )

anika987 and gamma50g like this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Madhuri is slim and maintained for 58 .
    Sush looks so different now

I agree with Shilpa she is vibrant as ever

9. Rihana

Slim and maintained for 58 - yes. For dancing on stage in shows - not really. Painful to watch.
    Skin, hair, smile are fabulous. Upper arms, tummy and hip area - not so.

A bit haggard at times, but I mostly watch on cell phone, so not sure.

She is age less.

anika987 likes this.