1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ageing of the Mind – Ladies, This Time It’s A Warning Bell!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jan 9, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

At last you came in, Varloo!

Dear Varloo,
    Trying to keep the body young is okay. But when the efforts became drastic there results an ugly resistance to ageing which manifests in ones appearance.
    But attempts to keep mind young keeps not only the mind beautiful but also the body to some extent.
    You see the body ageing thread was against drastic efforts to resist ageing; while this thread is for efforts to keep the mind and the intellect young - young in this context means alertness, agility and a quality corresponding to the limbs being supple.
    Thanks varloo,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Are you listening or not?

Please forgive me ladies. I am not commenting on your listening quality. But that's the name of this Wednesdays thread. Which I posted just now.
    The post made me heavy, no doubt. But I am sure that the time and energy I put into it will not go waste. The only evidence for that is your response.
    And now you with the Wednesday Post. Happy Kaanum Pongal.
    regards,
    Varalotti

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

as vidya says
    its paruthi kotta punnakku for cattle
    and recently for human's too
    we are famous for sharing(?) their food
    my son bambi had a roaring juice business
    of herbs
    during his college days ( a project too)

the ageing mind requires love
    and perhaps only if this is missing
    will crosswords/sudoku help
    some try to wean away a worrying mind
    of longing relationships

perhaps a hobby quite early in life
    that does not use eyes ears or excess thinking
    say just singing to yourself
    or playing an instrument
    can help achieve this too

sathya

4. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

slightly off topic i guess
    why only warning bells
    with so many topics to say
    why not go colourful with topics too?

sathya

5. aashree

aashree New IL'ite

If we challenge our brain with interesting activity, thinking, and social interaction, we can influence our own destiny in terms of our capacity for ongoing development and change
    Try this gals..
    Try using your opposite hand to do everyday things, especially writing and printing. Sit down and start writing on a piece of paper using your off hand. It will probably start out like scrawl, but you will gain better control, become more aware of your tense shoulders and body, and able to use both sides of your brain.
    We all want to keep our minds sharp and fresh. By working to keep your mind sharp, you can improve your attitude. Nothing angers a person more than not being able to remember important things or events. By having a sharp mind you can figure situations out better and make wiser decisions. Choose your friend wisely. Having a good sharp mind can improve your life all the way around, so keep that mind active!
    You should treat yourself as well as you treat others. It will improve the way you think. You will be a happier individual with a sharper mind and better attitude. Try buying yourself a small gift while out shopping for others. It is always good to give, and being generous is nice, but charity should begin at home. Remember, too, that generosity involves more than just material things and satisfaction is not achieved by consumption.
    For this topic ther is so much to talk ..scientifically as well as theoritically...
    i stop here now..Want to read more :)
    take care and enjoy exercising your mind. If you are very bored and feeling clumsy..just take a glass of pure chilled sweet lime juice and see how rejuvenating you feel. And start a day fresh :)
    Enjoy

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aashree,

I enjoyed reading your refreshing account of how to keep young in mind. Besides appreciating Varalotti's writings, you go ahead and give some constructive and optimistic ideas which will encourages to strive at keeping young.
    Do come up with such motivating posts.
    Thank you.

L,Kamla

7. varalotti

Dear Aashree,
    That was a great supplementary on a very crucial topic. I appreciate it. I allot at least an hour a day for exercising my mind - it might be a hard sudoku puzzle or working out an 'out-of-the-way' problem or handling a difficult client.
    Now that you have talked about writing by left hand let me also try my (left) hand at that.
    regards,
    sridhar

8. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

I also believe in intellectual stimulation. andIntellectual curiosity. Soon after my graduation in Library Scienc(Which was after graduation in any discipline) was more interested in getting a job to ease off my parent's burden. Then came marriage. Like any other lady I was a working woman also looking after my family. I gave full attetion to my daughter's interest and progress. On the other side my husband always gave a helping hand in our domestic affairs and also gave full support for my further studies.
    To update my professional skill, did a master in sociology. Very recently(Iam 57) did MLIS. I also keep writing something for the Unesco Information Portal and Library Portal. More than writing I update myself with the current happenings all over the world in the Information sector.

Though I enjoy acquiring new knowledge at times Iam teased saying''Paddippu at this stage? Peran Petti varathukku aayachu! Once I told my daughter's Mother-in-Law I may get only a peran or petti but not a son or daughte at this age. So I can afford such adventures."
    But I:coffee:coffee:coffee:coffee haven't achieved much in comparison to my husband's effort and co operation.
    kanaka

9. sujathae

sujathae Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir, Nice article on ageing of the mind. Its true that we should not let our mind age we should attempt a whole lot of new things always. What i feel is in this latest world of latest technologies noone is left behind without learning anything new every now and then. Say u buy a new mobile, u learn how to use it. We buy a new electronic gadget at home we learn how to use it. Normally i am very much interested in knowing a lot of new things. I try to solve all the puzzles i come across. Attempt all the quizzes i see in the net/newspapers/magazines/TV. My daughter brings a lot new topics for her projects and collecting material for that also helps me to know a lot of new things. But certain things though they r new i am unable to take it. For example, when we watch the new movie songs i am not able to enjoy them. The dances r really intolerable and when i tell this my husband says u r growing old that is why u r not able to enjoy it. But i feel that it is just useless to see those songs. I feel nice to listen to good melodies, spiritual music etc. But these r not due to ageing but it is the basic interest and the mental makeup of the person. Pls let me have your opinion on my thoughts.

10. varalotti

Dear Kanaka,

As I was busy with my serial HE, I did not see your post for some time. Your story is quite inspiring. To study something different at your age is something marvelous.

I have been doing things like that all my life. I started learning computers when I was 34. I never hesisated to sit with my teenage classmates. In fact it was a real privilege given to me.

I used to talk about career guidance to all the colleges in the city. One question which the students ask repeatedly is "What skill-sets are in great demand today? And what skills I should develop so that I will be in demand all my life?"
    I was almost meditating on this question for a while. And then I told them, "The only skill that is relevant today is the ability to acquire new skills. Ability to learn is the only skill that does not have an expiry date. All other skills will become irrelevant in the course of time. But not this one."

I started writing at the age of 40. I enrolled for the Information Systems Auditor course when I was 45 and cleared the exams taking All India's 3rd rank. I am nearing 50 now. Recently I went to the US to acquire a brand new skill.

I am saying all these because, if I can do it anybody can do it. The question is not of intelligence but of aptitude and attitude.

A family friend, a lady who is the mother of 3 children, cleared the CA examinations when she was almost your age. Out there, there is no limit. All limits and limitations are only in our minds.

So go for it. Keep doing something.

People think that after some age you cant do so many things. But I say, if you don't do something new, then and only then will you become old.

regards,