1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

After Jealousy, Let's Relax - And Enjoy Literature

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Jan 30, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I have started now. You may expect me anytime. Be ready.
    L,
    sridhar

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

me too.mandu:Did not understand. Varalotti sir,pls explain with blackboard and chalk.

3. varalotti

Now I am confused!

Should I come to America or Africa? Can somebody help me decide that? Or will there be more appications?
    sridhar

4. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

:)

:bangcomp:
    wot is there not to understand mr varalotti i was just telling in simple english that rama is god so his face was like lotus whn he was turned to exile IF IT WAS U WOT U WUD DO :)) IF IT WAS ME I WUD HAVE GONE TO COURT SAYING MY RIGHT I WONT GO I WONT GIVE UP MY KINGDOM ETC.. BCZ I AM A COMMON PERSON WTH LOTS OF EGO JEALOUSY AND SO MANY OTHER INFLUENTIAL REASONS
    i hope u have understood now and thanks for writing wht smile and not crying while replying my post
    my mom grandmom and others do tell me men shdn weep

5. varalotti

Re: :)

Dear Radha,

I am sorry if I had hurt you. I tender my heartfelt apologies. When I had to write so many replies and saw that you were telling that you would go to court, I thought, mistakenly that, it was a comment on Rama and hence that reply.

Yes, Radha, when we read about Rama, we should bear in mind that he is the ideal of what a man can be. We are nowhere near him. I appreciate your candour in saying that you would have dragged Bharatha and Dasaratha to court. Well, about me, I would have done the same thing. I would have got a stay from the jurisdictional High Court and file a suit to declare that the boons which Dasaratha gave to Kaikeyi are null and void ab initio.

But had Rama done that, we would not have Ramayanam. And if Rama had done that he would just be an item of news in the seventh page corner of our local newspaper where all the court news are reported. Rama did not do that and hence he is the hero of the epic.

I have understood now clearly. And once again my aplogies.
    I still do not understand one thing

my mom grandmom and others do tell me men shdn weep
    did they say men should not weep or should weep? I searched the net and all the dictionaries for shdn, could not find it. Please help me.

I for one believe anybody with a sensitive mind should weep once in a while. And if on reading some of the verses in Kambar if one does not weep, then we should refer that person to a psychiatrist for a long drawn treatment.

Radha, I still insist that you should read/hear or somehow come to know the story of Ramaya through the words of a great poet like Kambar, Valmiki or Tulsi
    thanks once again,
    Varalotti

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Radha(venkatesh), Varalotti,

For both of you-:2thumbsup: (I love these new smilies!They say it better than words!)

Radha- I also understood your point very well from the second post.

If it had been me, I would have raved and ranted,taken all to court,including Dasharatha. And had I been Seetha, I wld have instigated Ramji to go to court. That is human me, with all foibles.

Radha, as u say rightly,Rama being a God or Purushottama or a Uttama Purusha-did not do all that. One has to learn so much restraint from Rama. Most of all the forgiveness Rama showed towards Kaikeyimata.

Varalotti- grace under duress-not easy for all.You display it in the reply to Radhavenkatesh.

You prove time and again that your forum is a very open one.U render yrself open to criticism, and when u feel that ur post has caused some wave in a respondent,u always apologise.

As from Rama, we have so much to learn from you too. This is not a chamcha post, just a candid one.

OOOOO podu-for Radha,Varalotti,Kambar,Ramar,Indusladies!!!!:2thumbsup:

love
    Vidya

7. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Hullo Varalotti,
    You started a poetry appreciation class, why discuss theology ? Whether Ramar was a Navarasa Nayagan or Prem Nasir's grand -daddy, it has zero significance in K.C.Kamban's context.
    Kamban was a poet. Not a chronicler. Poets ,as a species, are hyper. Classical poets are hyper to the power of three. We, mere mortals, see; Poets visualise. We think; Poets imagine. We emote, poets wallow. We smile, poets start playing the drums. They are like that only.
    ( Aside : The male fantasies of classical poets, if materialised, will be a creature institutionalised for Chronic Osteo-Lumbar Distrophy and Acute Mammofibrosis with a side order of intermittant attacks of Clinical Idiocy. )

Kamban hired Ramar, family and friends from Valmiki, to showcase his prowess in wordsmithy. He made them ramp models for his exquisite, bejewelled, richly embroided creations. In the process he gave them all a new-look make over. There's no sense in confusing the haute coutre with the model parading in it.

Kamban's characters swing from majestically divine to all too human. So long as it serves as a vehicle for his lilting figures of speech, his characters change characteristics freely. ( one Example: Abducted Seethai says she can nuke the baddie Ravana with just a look. She's not demon-slaying Mahalakshmi for nothing ! Yet she sits moping under the tree till her man comes to her rescue, becos. she does not want to shame him. You see, male heroics are necessary to make a good ballad.)

Kambar, like Homer, was no saint-paint. Only an exceptionally gifted writer who earned his ' theyn-and-thinaimaavu' by plying his trade honestly and to the very best of his abilities. And for his pains, he has been accorded consistently good press to this day. And no one is grudging that. Hats off to his poetry .
    If I want character-study, I will see " Don-1". If I want style and panache I will see" Don-2."

Manjula

P.S.: One clarification this backbencher genuinely needs: Has Kamban written anything else or was he a one-opus wonder ?

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear friends,

Oh my, I cannot say how entertaining the last few exchanges of posts were!

There was much much more to learn here besides the poetry of Kambar. This thread on beautiful poetry does come with a lot of bonusses( is there a plural for bonus:confused2: ).

These posts are a relfection of the modern times and of its young, enthusiastic and thinking youth who will simply not sit back and swallow everything offered to them without a question. No matter how many a tear we may shed reading Rama's exemplary epic, it is true that it is not applicable for day to day life, of today. And those of us who have tried to be magnanimus on some difficult occassions know that the results are far from gratifying. And we call it our Karma!

Thanks for your tongue-in-cheek thought provoking remarks Radhavenkatesh and Manjureddy.

But a bigger thanks Varalotti for showing what it is to be tolerant and hold a fair dialogue and being unfazed inspite of criticisms. You ofcourse stand apart because of that, perhaps like the lotus on the wall:))

As for me, I too am still wondering...shd, shdn, shn...........hmmm...:!:

L, Kamla

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Way to go Radha V , Manju R and ofcourse Sridhar. :2thumbsup:

All your posts and replies in this thread made great reading and a good start for my weekend.
    Kamla, you cannot compare Sidhar to the Lotus on the wall, then he would not have replied to any of Radha's or Manju's posts. Like Rama, he would have remained silent!!:cry:

Vandhana

10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Manju(reddy),Kamla,Vandhana-also OOO podu for all of you.

Sridhar- did u post Saturdays with Varalotti? Cant find it.

This thread is like Hanumar vaal-never ending!

cheers!
    the last word freak

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007