1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

After HAMB, Let's Relax In a Convocation Congregation!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Mar 20, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Sudha!

Dear Sudha,

There was one difference between those students and me. They had finished their learning and had come there to pick up their diplomas. But for me I went there to learn a couple of lessons in life.

I had as much pleasure in attending the function as I have in sharing the information with you all.

Thanks for the kind words.
    regards,
    sridhar

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    Well, in Kerala, the practise of giving convecation is not prevelant. It is nearly a year by the time the exams are over and the results are published (after the stipulated time for a course) and people are just releaved to ge ttheir marksheets and their provisional certificates. The exams and results are usually delayed due to some agitation by any of the hoards of political parties. So that joy is denied even now to us. I shall have to wait for Aravindh to graduate to enjoy that feeling.
    It is very good that education has become priority for all types of people and parents do not mind educating their daughters.
    You are right in saying that parents should give their time also to their children, which is sadly not the scene now.The children are given material things because the parents can afford them. Our parents sacrificed many things for us.
    One incident I want to share with all. When a marriage is celebrated in the neighbourhood, sweets and savories are sent to almost all the neighbours. Only the variety and amount varies according to the closeness of the family. We were a large family, so as soon as the goodies are sent, my mother would spread a large sheet of paper or a large plate in front of her. She would then take each item and divide it according to the number of the family members. Then she would ask us to take one share. The milk khoa will a tiny ball only, the size of may be a sundaikkai.
    We will all take our share, eat it fast. Then we would go to our mother and extend our hands. She will give away her share also to whoever is asking. She never scolded us for doing like that. If any of us had a tifF, she will say that-தொண்டைக்குக் கீழே போனால் நரகல்.
    I remember her words always.