1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Afraid..breast Milk Dried Up?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Prp, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Prp

Prp New IL'ite

Hi Moms,
    My twin baby girls who are 6 months now were born at 33 weeks but fortunately,not with any health issues except low birth weight.So,initially they were bottlefed at the NICU and did not latch well on breast.So, I was pumping and babies were given formula along with breastmilk.Initially,supply was good for almost 2 months and I had leakage also.Later whenever I tried to breastfeed, it felt I have small nipples and I was given nipple shield but babies did not stay on breast for long as they got used to the flow of the bottle.I feel very sad about it as I had always wanted to breasfeed.Gradually I noticed my supply was also coming down a bit less like around 40ml from both breasts together each pumping ,may be pumping doesn't give as much as bresatfeeding due to hormone production and my breasts also felt less fuller like initial month.Now,I couldn't pump on a one month long vacation in India and my breast pump didn't work there(which I didn't expect) and babies were fully formula fed for a month.I couldn't express milk manually also as electric pump only helped.When I squeezed my nipples,I could see little bit milk coming out.Has milk production dried up now coz of the one month gap ,am i weaning or is it because I tried pumping after long and it may take time for milk to come since I already have less supply?My periods started soon after delivery,in almost 2.5 months.Will that have caused gradual reduction in supply due to hormones?I really want to give my babies some breast milk atleast for some more time..I feel very broken from within since I felt breastfeeding and milk was inherent ,most important part of my much awaited motherhood..

2. annnewhere

annnewhere New IL'ite

You not pumping for a month might have caused the breasts to dry up. Also, since your periods have started, it is another sign that your milk production might stop. It is alright. You need not worry. If your babies are fine with bottle feeding, they can continue on that. It provides enough nutrition. Of course, not as much as breastmilk. But, you need not worry at all. :)

These feelings are normal when milk production stops. Try finding joy in spending time with your babies and take your mind off negative things as your babies need your attention.

3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

OP,
    Periods do have impact but they dont completely dry up breast milk.
    Can you make your babies latch now? It will be one sure shot way to boost up the supply. Once the supply is regularized you can start Pumping.