1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Advice regarding wedding shopping

Discussion in 'Indians in New York' started by kavignanam, Jun 20, 2013.

1. kavignanam

kavignanam New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Indusladies, though I've used valuable information from the forums before. I hope to get some good advice regarding a confusion I have.

I am getting married in Chennai, India during November this year and will have a traditional Iyer wedding. I currently live in NYC. I plan to go only 2 weeks before my wedding and I also have to get my H-1B stamped immediately after landing. In this hurry burry, its going to be difficult to shop for sarees and also get the blouse stitched in time for the wedding. So, I was wondering if it will be better to shop for atleast a few sarees for important occassions in the US, specifically designer saree for the reception. Jackson heights is one possibility Im thinking of for the shopping.

Has any one shopped for wedding sarees in the NYC area ? Is it affordable and do we get good designs ? Or will it be better to shop in India within the 2 week period ?

Thanks in advance,
    Kavitha

2. jeevR

jeevR New IL'ite

hi kavignanam
    Its better you can buy sarees in india.It would be cheaper in india as they cost doubled here in nyc area.I hope you could try in newjersey area may be you get the sarees little cheaper but i am sure its not cheaper less than in india.

3. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

@kavignanam..congratulations dear:)
    I guess it is better to buy sarees in india..you will have huge variety and it is worth buying in india as you don't find variety of patterns,designs in US..two weeks is good enough for shopping and stamping..one day is good for wedding shopping..as you have just 2 weeks before marriage,plan accordingly..good luck :)

4. curious28

curious28 Silver IL'ite

yup in India it wud be better