Advice on Divorce

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Mantra, Aug 29, 2007.

  1. Mantra

    Mantra New IL'ite

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    I've just joined this group and would like to get your advice on divorce.

    I need to get the following info:

    1) If I and my spouse both mutually agree for it and apply for divorce will there be any questions asked as a reason for applying?

    2) In this case, how long would it take to get separated?

    I have decided to get separted and I'm looking for these info before approaching an advocate.Please guide me through


  2. preethi27

    preethi27 Senior IL'ite

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Feeling sad to hear about Ur divorce. Pl consult good advocate. So that, U will not have any confusions further in Ur life.

  3. umasridharan

    umasridharan Senior IL'ite

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Dear Mantra
    The family court and the lawyers never want a couple to get separated without any strong reasons.
    They will give you a year's time to re think and discuss. Some times that one year's time may heal the differences between u and yr hubby.
    Before applying for a divorce, kindly go through these things:

    1. what r u going todo after yr divorce?
    2.I dont know whether u have any kids, if have, who is going to take care of them?
    3. Are u going to remarry?
    4. Are u financially sound or employed or self sufficient?
    5.have u discussed this with yr parents as well as as yr inlaws?
    6. Why dont u go and consult a marriage counslr before taking this decision?

    My dear Mantra, it is very easy to get separated. but think twice -- both of u -- before applying for divorce.

    If u are particular abt divorce, go to a good legal adviosr, preferable a lady.

    Wish u all the best.


  4. Nivedi

    Nivedi New IL'ite

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Dear Mantra,

    I am sorry for what your are going through.

    But here are the legal provisions to the questions that you have posed:

    If your marriage falls under the Hindu Marriage Act, then you can check out the provisions of the law here - THE HINDU MARRIAGE ACT, 1955. (Sections 13, 13 A, 13 B and 14 - relevant provisions of law)

    Application for divorce by mutual consent is allowed only if the couple have lived together atleast for a year.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  5. padmaiyangar

    padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Re: Advice on Divorce ( Hindu marriage Act )

    Hindu Marriage Act 1955

    Hindu couples solemnize their marriage under shastric rites and ceremonies.I The saptapadi is the must in shastric rites, and the marriage becomes complete and irrevocable on the completion of the seventh step. The same has been recognized in the provisions of Section 7(2) of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955.

    If the requisite ceremonies are not performed, the marriage is null and void. Children borne of such a marriage are not granted legitimacy under the provisions of Section 16 of the Hindu Marriage Act 1955, unlike children borne of marriages, declared void under the provisions of Section 11 of the same Act.

    . Inter sub-caste marriages were validated under the Hindu Marriage (Removal of Disabilities) Act 1946. The Hindu Marriage Act 1955 refers to "any two Hindus, without requiring them to be of the same caste or sub-caste. Thus, in order to get married to someone under Hindu law today, both parties do not have to belong to the same caste but have to necessarily profess to the Hindu Religion, which includes Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains or any other person domiciled in the territories to which the Hindu Marriage Act applies, who is not a Christian, Parsi, Jew or Muslim unless it is proved that such person would not be governed by Hindu Law (Eg. The Hindu Marriage Act, 1956 does not apply to schedule tribes).

    In order to get their marriage registered, the parties to the marriage must submit 'FORM A' to the registrar in whose jurisdiction either party to the marriage has been residing for at least six months, immediately preceding the date of marriage. This form should be submitted within one month from the date of solemnization of marriage. This form should be appended with an age proof and a marriage photo. Both the parties to the marriage and the guardian, if any, must appear before the marriage Registrar personally. It should be noted that if there is a delay of above one month but up to 5 years in filing the above form, the same shall be condoned by the Sub-Registrar. Where the delay is above 5 years, the same shall be condoned by the District Registrar.

    Divorce, under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955, can be obtained by both the spouses on the basis of any of the following 9 grounds:
    Adultery; Cruelty; Desertion for two years; Conversion of religion; Unsound mind; Suffering from venereal disease and/or Leprosy; has renounced the world; not heard of for 7 years;
    no resumption of co-habitation for one year after the decree of judicial separation, no restitution of conjugal rights for one year after decree for restitution of conjugal rights; Husband guilty of rape, sodomy or bestiality; If after an order of maintenance is passed under the Hindu Maintenance and Adoptions Act or the Criminal Procedure Code, there has been no cohabitation for one year.
    In addition to the grounds, stated above, a wife may also present a petition for the dissolution of her marriage on the following grounds:
    Where the marriage was solemnized before the commencement of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955:-
    1. The husband had married again before such commencement;

    2. That any other wife of the husband whom he had married before such commencement was alive at the time of the marriage; That the husband has, after the marriage, been guilty of rape, sodomy or bestiality; That her marriage, whether consummated or not, was solemnized before she attained the age of 15 years and she has repudiated the marriage after attaining that age but before attaining the age of 18 years.
    Under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 the spouses, who desire a divorce by mutual consent, have to present a joint petition in the court which has an appropriate jurisdiction. The parties, presenting such a petition, must claim with proof that they have been living separately for a period of one year; they have not been able to live together; they have mutually agreed that marriages should be dissolved.

    Once the petition for Divorce by mutual consent is filed, the Court gives the parties 6 months' times to reconsider. The Court may pass a decree of divorce after a period of 6 months from the date of presentation of the petition and not later than 18 months after the date of presentation, incase the petition is not withdrawn.
    . A wife can file an application under Section 125 of the Criminal Procedure Code for maintenance. ('Wife' here includes a woman who has been divorced by, or has obtained a divorce from her husband and has not remarried)

    If any person who has sufficient means, neglects or refuses to maintain his wife (who is unable to maintain herself) then the wife can file an application before a Magistrate- I class- for maintenance. The Magistrate of the first class, upon proof of such neglect or refusal, will order such person to make a monthly allowance for the maintenance of his wife.

    with regards
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  6. sunanthinicu

    sunanthinicu New IL'ite

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Hi Mantra,

    If u r serious on getting a Divorce the following info r to be considered;
    1. If u have married by Hindu cermony r spl marriage act r by christian cermony?
    2. U can file ur petition for Divorce only after a period of 1 yr from ur date of marriage .
    3.If by Mutual Consent ,they both has to agree to file on a same cause like misunderstanding to a point where both can't live togather...
    4.For 6 months ,ur petiton will be called for,its a reconciliation process in court means giving u an oppurtunity to join togather...
    5.there r certain pro & cons in mutual consent divorce also..

    if u provide the asked for details may be i can guide in this..

    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  7. nemesis

    nemesis Platinum IL'ite

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    This is a very old thread!

Share This Page